Got lilies?

Santa Fe, NM

Paja, your lilies are beautiful! If I wasn't so busy with all my classes I'd get up there in person. Please take more pictures!

Denver, CO

Roybird; I don't know about D. ambigua, but D. obscura is a very low-water Foxglove grown in Xeric gardens. Summer Classes?

DN: Stella is such a classic, and for good reasons.

Just when I think that all colour combinations have been tried, I see a new one. Fantastic Lilies, Paja. From where are you ordering Martagons? I've not grown them.

Santa Fe, NM

Non-credit class in digital camera. Plus, serious tai chi student and teach chi gung. Xeric foxglove? I'd like to look for that.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I would never have put those two colors of lilies together if I had had any idea what colors they were -- they were freebies from Santa Fe Trail's husband who didn't know what they were either. Isn't it amazing what pure dumb luck will do ?
I ordered my Martagons from Oldhouse Gardens which has a very high rating in Garden Watchdog. They also have very nice pictures on their web site and a big selection -- that's how I decided. I have never ordered from them before. They are supposed to grow well in this part of the world -- as I see in plant files.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

anyone growing this one? I'm putting my modest (LOL) fall order together and I keep coming back again and again to this one. Dare I? I have 2 stargazers and a 'Lovely Girl' and I thought I would put it with them. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/104708/

Denver, CO

I used to have 'Triumphator', but it declined slowly away in a part-shade location. I'm afraid it pales in comparison to 'Silk Road,' which is similar in form and colour, but a tried-and-true award winner. Pictures of the latter soon.

Time for me to look into Martagons.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Another new one today. Boogie Woogie. I love this one, although I was hoping for the pink edge.

Thumbnail by revclaus
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks JamesCo 'Silk Road' is a beauty. I was particularly interested in 'Triumphtor' as its been field tried at Valley K here in AB. I don't like to stray too far with the hybrids or orientals cuz they will poop out in one year in my zone if they even come up at all. anyhoo if triumpahtor declined for you for sure it will decline for me. Thanks.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

fabby flower form revclaus. Weird how colours are true or not, or change year to year. Maybe your next bloom will have the pink edge.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Dalhia,
I don't know how Orientals grow up in Canada but they are only good for one or maybe two years here in more southern climes. I would ask around and see if they grow there. You obviously can grow lilies of the valley and we can't.
My lilies are all Asiatic, not Oriental. Also I have the tiger lilies which seem to do a little better each year. Would some of your friends know? A local garden store.
Oh, by the way, I don't exactly live in the woods, but on the edge of them. The trees you saw are in my vacant lot behind the house. It used to be so overcrowded that all the trees are stunted after removing at least 60 trees ( in a 1/4 acre lot) and then an attack of pine bark beetle, it is only slightly overcrowded!

Kenton, for Martagons check out this nursery recommended by dalhianut

http://www.plantlilies.com/

And this one:

http://www.oldhousegardens.com/cat.asp?CatID=1

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I agree dalhianut, As the plant matures, the flowers may change a bit in color and even in form. I know this is true with iris. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true of lilies as well.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Orientals don't do well (if at all) here either paj. I have the stargazers and "lovely girl" in a very protected spot near the house between 2 large clumps of orientals and they come back. They're more a luvly novelty than anything else as they are just single stalks but they do flower so I can go 'ooooooooo'. I happened on the "truimphtor" while perusing the Valley K gallery and had a brain fart LOL as I know it won't do well. Sorry to hear about the pine bark beetle. I'm a tree fan so I luv wooded areas.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

oh and that being said I hope my 'fall fiesta' goes back to its more goldie look next year paj.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, in my case the pine bark beetle really took out trees that were to thick anyhow, Our pines are apparently too close together all over the area and the foresters tell us that this had to happen for us to have a healthy forest. We had a major burn here in 2000 which burned the homes of 400 people or was it 400 families? Anyhow, it got our attention and we have been thinning like crazy everywhere else -- the entire town got the message. I do love forests as well.

Here is my orange tiger lily -- the best picture I could come up with. I have had a heck of a time photographing it for two years. I am not sure what the problem is, but focusing is very difficult.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You know, it just might. This was a wierd year, weather wise, all over the place. Many of our irises here looked strange or didn't bloom at all. If your Fall Fiesta was gold before, I bet it will be again. I have a barberry bush which has been green and red for years that has suddenly become variagated! I have no idea why.

Closeup of orange tiger lily.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Daylily Siloam Double Classic.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Hidden Riches. Similar to Blackbeard's Treasure but a little smaller and more frilly

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Asiatic Lily Montreaux. Again, why didn't I buy more of these?

Dalianut, I love Oriental Lilies as well and have killed many of them before I figured out the belong somewhere else than the high desert of New Mexico.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I just luv the tiger lilies. I don't think my tigers are going to bloom this year. They have no buds and they should by now. Methinks I need more ruffly daylilies. I put in a blueberry sundae this spring http://www.dutchbulbs.com/store/daylilies/reblooming/62290 and it promptly disappeared. It might come back next year (says the eternal optimist). Sometimes that happens in my zone. New hostas disappear on me all the time and show up again the following year.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have decided that I need a dark purple daylily and a white one. I think for the dark purple I want Bela Lugosi and I have to look up a white one. Only problem is the usual one. I need a jackhammer to make a hole for each.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luvly pink paj. I have a whole chapter almost finished "Plants I have Luved and Killed".

Denver Metro Area, CO(Zone 5a)

Paja-Massa and company are outstanding!

Plants I have luved and killed...priceless!!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, I looked up Blueberry Sundae -- that's a beauty! I had a serious talk with myself and told myself that I couldn't have anymore daylilies until I planted all of the ones I have now. And I was looking at hydrangeas yesterday, also. My eyes are bigger than my digging arm.

Santa Fe, NM

Paja, when you take a picture push the button half way down first and give the camera time to get itself together before you shoot. I think the problem is with light and the camera trying to figure out what to do. I assume you have it on "auto"? Sometimes when something won't focus right I just walk away and shoot it later! You could change a bunch of settings and mess with it if you want to get frustrated and be all day with it! ( But, maybe that's just me! ) Beautiful lilies! I must have more day lilies!

Thumbnail by roybird
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Do you know which one your latest is roybird?

Santa Fe, NM

Yeah, right! No. It is a little red one.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

roybird you're too funny ^_^ I call those lily somethingsomethings.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's my first pixie just hanging out by itself.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

And what a cutie it is. How tall is it?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Just a foot to the top of the flower.

Santa Fe, NM

I like the pixie and the picture! I have decided that I need more daylilies. Is the pixie a day lily?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

asiatic roybird. There are pixie daylilies though. I have 'Raspberry Pixie'. I'll post a pic when it blooms.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I found some beautiful day lilies in bloom today at the Los Alamos farmers market and bought a dark red one -- but they had other colors too. You might try the Santa Fe farmers market. I have not found such great ones at the nurseries, most of the time. I also order them by mail from Diane's Seeds and from Marriott -- which has a few that won't break the bank. I am constantly amazed at how expensive daylilies can be -- even more than brand new iris introductions.
Here is the one I bought today at the farmer's market-- Baja. It is actually a little darker than it appears here. It got a little banged up on the way home.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Here is Little Grapette, a small purple one but very cute. Much darker than I expected. It bloomed for the first time this year.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Caprician Fiesta

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

More luvlies paj. The Baja looks like a good red (ie not a pinky red which alot of reds seem to be) EEEK!!! I hear you on price. I was surfing for white daylilys after you mentioned them because I've never seen white ones. One I found was $100!!!!!!!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

That would be an expensive lunch for my infernal deer...

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You notice that I don't have any white day lilies? Now you know why. I would like to find some though. The best one within the range of sanity is Cortina at Mariott for $16, but I did notice the one for more than $100. I don't plan to spend that on a daylily unless I win the lottery!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cancun

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ok let's try that again. 'Cancun'

Thumbnail by dahlianut

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.