DG Marketplace - who's buying what?

There are a total of 321 votes:

I was one of the first DG Maketplace customers!
(8 votes, 2%)
Red dot

I've made a purchase (or two) from the Marketplace
(67 votes, 20%)
Red dot

I'm a regular customer in the Marketplace
(8 votes, 2%)
Red dot

I love browsing, especially the newest items
(50 votes, 15%)
Red dot

I haven't yet found anything to buy
(86 votes, 26%)
Red dot

What (and where) is the DG Marketplace?
(102 votes, 31%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Whoa - didn't expect to be first :-)

I haven't yet found anything to buy. Until there is a larger Canadian presence and an easy way to identify Canadian vendors I doubt if I'll have much luck either. I have enough seeds to sink a battleship so I'm looking for plants, bulbs, corms, tubers, tropicals, etc., and that is a problem with non-Canadian vendors due to phyto requirements, etc.

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

I had to vote browsing. I spent the bulk of available cash for plants before joining DG; the rest of it before finding the Marketplace. This is my first year of getting serious about flower gardening. Come fall or spring I may have cash available again so I can do more than browse.

Gary

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have gotten some daylilies and some seeds. I hope to list as well. I like the fact that there are now catagories and that you can search within the catagories. Sometimes you just want something specific and its easy to find. There are also alot of the plants you read people talking about in the forums and want one, but have nothing to trade for it. This way, you can give it a try.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I picked I've bought a couple of things, but I was one of the first ones also!!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I know where it is but haven't used it yet. Not sure why.

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

I'm the only one that is a regular customer? Geez, maybe I am shopping too much! I love the marketplace, but I am also new this year and had not done any mail order gardening before, whereas a lot of other members seem to already know most of the vendors. So, the marketplace has really eased me into a new experience, and the pictures and information are great.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I thought about putting regular customer, because I intend to keep buying. That seems regualr to me. On the othr hand, I have only bought about 5 things so far.

Considering that the marketplace hasn't been up long, I'd say you qualify as a regular customer! I've bought about 20 plants or bulbs and maybe 10 seed packets from seven vendors- one of which I ordered from twice. I didn't buy anything last week, but I intend to buy more in the future, too!

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I've bought two plants since I found the Marketplace. I didn't even know we had one. lol I will be a regular because I love to go there and browse. I find lots of things I want! I'm thrilled we have it here.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I think I bought something the first week and I browse it every day!

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Why buy plants when you can trade for plants?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Because sometimes, you can't get some plants thru trade!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Have bought plants, seeds and bulbs... from the beginning. I enjoy perusing the new items daily. I have also posted items for sale. The more I sell, the more I can justify acquiring.

I didn't vote as the only two that don't apply here are the last two. This survey will hopefully help get the word out!

Broncbuster ~ I will still gladly trade. Just have more to trade with! 8 ))

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I bought a wonderful book and I check out the books and seeds every day. But like ginnylynn says its tough for us crazy Canucks to buy plants, bulbs, tubers etc with the PsychoCertificate issue (yup I did say Psycho). Even if the seller is prepared to go through the hassle, the extra expense for us plus shipping can make it cost prohibitive.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I may have been one of the first ones to buy. I don't know how to tell. I voted that I've bought from the MarketPlace though.

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Dually noted.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm sure my browsing will lead to buying!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

my first purchase went off beautifully. The bulb I received came ASAP and was in excellent shape. And more importantly I've not killed it....LOL as it is growing in my new flower bed.

Now my second one didn't go off well at all.

Those two are the only ones I've done.

Janet

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

I TRIED to make a purchase of a Brugmansia back in May, and it took 4 days to get a reply from the seller and then the reply I got was that it was gone and would not be available for about another month...Nothing else at all..No offer to let me know when or anything else...
I sure was not impressed with that seller....

I have been browsing to find some new plants to add to my new farm homestead...and hopefully I will find better luck elsewhere ....

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

I love shopping from my chair but I'm so cheap that I don't buy much of anything. Since I can't do the actual planting myself (old and decrepit) I hate to bother people to do it for me.There are a couple of things I want and I will buy when they come up for sale but until then..... I really enjoy looking to see what's out there available when I want it like some of the arts and crafts, etc.

Ann

Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

I made my first purchase last week.
I'm not a big spender but I do intend to make many more purchases right here at DG.
It's so easy and buying from DG members is 'keeping it in the family'. :-)

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Where is it?

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Under the Products and Sources tab on you homepage.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ive checked it out a couple of times but being in Canada rules out live plant purchases that have to cross the border. I guess seeds would be OK but mostly I buy plants.
So for me it is basically a no go. Perhaps if we could access Canadian buyers only I would pay more attention.

I've wondered about the Canadian members. I think the Canadian products search is a good idea- I'll come across one thing here and there for Canada while looking for cuttings or something, so that seems to make some sense to me, too.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I purchased some really nice Japanese morning glories. I'd love to leave feedback within the marketplace that's not operational yet? ..... update, just went to the marketplace to see, and there's a feedback function. Super, I'll be able to give her a glowing review. I love the marketplace Dave.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2008 7:36 PM

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Whenever I think about it , I check out the new items. But most of the time I forget it's here because there is no way to "watch" it, so I see it all the time. Whenever Dave had it up in the top right hand corner of the home page for several days in the beginning, I checked it all the time. But like I said, I forget it's here.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Yes, a link in the upper corner of the homepage made it more visable for me to.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Or even if it would pop up as new topic so we could click on it.

Janet

Looking forward to better pricing from some of the sellers.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2008 8:31 AM

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

I noticed the prices on used books was high considering you are also paying shipping. Many of the same titles I can find at my local Half Price Books store. But, by all means, ignore my commentary if sellers are finding homes for their books!

Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

I saw a few things I thought were overpriced, too.
The thing about that is, as a seller, you set the price you think is fair and also gives you a bit of profit (usually). If it doesn't sell, you've learned a lesson and lower the price on that and similar items.
A seller doesn't know what a 'thing' will sell for until they try. It's like this, my '*junk*' is only worth what someone else is willing to pay me for it.

*this is not to say anyone is selling junk in the Marketplace*

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Hardiness zones on the main page would be very helpful...or the ability to filter plants that will grow in my zone so I don't have to wade through the 80% that don't grow here.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I see things listed that would be considered exotic in PA but it's something I can just snap off a neighbor's plant and stick in the ground and it will grow. I tend not to assume that something readily available for cheap in my neighborhood nursery is available at all in some far distant place. I think all the sellers will figure out which items sell quickly and which no one is even looking at. Basically, my attitude is it'll all come out in the wash.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Hear, hear willmetge! Also I'd love to be able to filter for vendors who will or will not ship to CA.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I agree with stellapathic. I think the sellers are learning and everyone is working the kinks out of this new feature. I am SO glad we have it!!!!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
*this is not to say anyone is selling junk in the Marketplace*
LOL libellule!!

I have to agree with bronc here. I love to trade. I love to just give away with no trade involved. And anything I want I can get that way. I've looked through the listings and there wasn't anything I lusted for. And some of the prices were way high for stuff I already have. Sorry... But I'm happy that others are enjoying it. We don't all have to be involved in everything available.

I totally agree with all. I wasn't trying to be critical. And I really think the vendors will appreciate our input so they can adjust to our needs. The marketplace is awesome, just needs some tweeking.

Correct if I am wrong, but I think the vendors are doing a good job of offering interesting product at a good price. I think most, (but not all) of the members are the ones that are asking crazy prices for some items, and the give away spirit is a huge part of DG trade- I mean I spend $12 to $ 5 to ship a box with a plant for a trade when I wouldn't pay that alone for a small plant or cutting most of the time. Furthermore, someone was asking $35 for a plant that I sprouted last year and have been trading. I am happy to trade something that just otherwise appears in my yard, just as some members just give the seeds away for SASE from time to time. I love the marketplace, and true to my vote, I bought again this week because the cutworms got my seedlings, or at least most of them!!!! I stick to the vendors, and I appreciate their pictures, detailed information, and history as DG members- maybe just my way of getting to know the vendors at DG because I know there is the Watchdog, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.