What did Dad do on Father's Day?

There are a total of 271 votes:

It was a day of rest and ease for him!
(99 votes, 36%)
Red dot

We took him out to his favorite restaurant
(30 votes, 11%)
Red dot

He went fishing, golfing, to a ballgame, or....(tell us!)
(23 votes, 8%)
Red dot

We celebrate Father's Day on a different date here
(9 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Other?
(110 votes, 40%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Fathers Day in Australia is the 1st Sunday in September, or is it the second? i forget!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Sundays are always a day of rest but we bbqed burgers up at a daughter's and her hubby's. It ,this 'papa' as our daughters call him , was his first grandfather's day too.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Should have probably selected other. but we went out for lunch at his favorite resteraunt. THen he blobbed for the rest of the day other than taking the squirt on his motorcycle to see a concert in the park and meet the family for a picnic.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Called Dad early in the morning, and interrupted some drywall sanding clean-up work. Told him to finish cleaning up, and knock off for the day, go home, and relax. :)

Not sure if he did any of those things since I didn't talk to him again.

We'll probably share conversation again today, and I'll find out if he really did take my advice & relax for the day.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Handsome Man went to the gun club to shoot skeet. A wonderful day for him! I BBQ'd pork chops for supper and he got vanilla pudding for dessert. :-)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

"Other" here. He spent the morning on the lawn mower...then helped prepare the burgers and dogs for the family.

North Augusta, ON

"Other" here too, Dad passed away in '99.
I just try to avoid thinking about fathers Day, it just makes me sad.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

He took the family to Six Flags Great Adventure. He loves roller coasters!

So sorry about your dad Lee Anne.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

DH mowed and tilled after worship services - poor guy. I told him to not worry about yard work on *his* day but he wanted to get it done so he wouldn't have to do it in the evenings this week.

We took him out to his choice of places to eat, then let him get a nap in before tackling the yard (and I stained/sealed the privacy fence while he snoozed ;o)

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

other here. my dad passed away in february. first fathers day without him

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

He asked God to open a Star Gazer Lily just for me.
;)

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

Other here. DH had to fly over to NY to be there for a Monday morning meeting. Poor guy!!

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

DH is super---he deep cleaned the house although I said he didn't need to be doing that on his day. He himself said it's just a hallmark honor and the real joy is knowing he is a dad. :)

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I fixed chicken breasts topped with homemade salsa on the grill. Grilled fresh pineapple on the grill and made a salad with onions, cukes and tomatoes in a Norhtern Italian dressing with a little crumbled feta cheese. Then served it to my Dad, loving wife, youngest stepson and his girlfriend!!! Planted a new Japanese Maple after that, drank a beer or two and tilled a spot up to plant pumpkins seeds for my wife. A little more yard work after it cooled off and watered the strawbale garden and flower beds. All in all quite a great day!!

Doug

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Father's Day turned into more of a day for me than him, but it's what he wanted to do.

We went to a small town where his Dad grew up and we walked the cemetary and found all of his ancestor's graves. Then we went to an awesome nursery there and bought a tree, six shrubs, two roses and a hanging plant. Then we stopped at a hardware store and bought a shepherd's hook and a hummingbird feeder. We took all that home then went out for supper at a local place that had a buffet. Came home and planted the tree and got done just in time for him to watch the Lakers finally win.

Tonight we have to finish planting the shrubs and roses.

Joey in Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

We did presents first thing. Matching John Deere hats for him and the little chip off the old block and new running shoes. To break them in we went for a family run/walk then ice cream! DD made oatmeal cookies (his favorite!) while he took a nap. Then we made his requested meal of beer can chicken, corn on cob and grilled zucchini. Topped off by a rousing game of UNO and a quiet evening on the front porch listening to the whippoorwills. LOL we lead such an exciting life!

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Wow, Joan and Jojo, those days sounds PERFECT!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Tir Na Nog, you took the words right out of my mouth. Joann

DH went fishing... his favorite pursuit.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Mine was born in 1888 (he was 64 when I was born) and died at age 88. RIP, Papa.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

DH spent a long time talking to his son in England, then we went to Harbor Freight so he could buy stuff for work! He loves to go there, and rather the company spend money than us. Grilled game hens for dinner - it was a good day.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

poor Dad.. happy as a clam he was.. after me for 6 years to clean out the garage.. so out of money for a big gift.. I choose saturday to get started.. he joined in.. took 2 days to work through 20 years of saved junk.. lots of laughs, remember whens.. a few tears.. whada ya savin this fers??? and towards the end a little angry snapping started.. but as we sipped on our latte's last night on the deck.. we laughed.. it was done, we had found the perfect treasure for a gift for our graduate next year (another freebe, yet priceless) posted much on freecycle, all to be piced up today..
Not a restful Fathers Day, But I can't think of a better way to spend one.
Oh the memories we stirred up are priceless!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Other for working all day on flowers & whatever. Later in afternoon a man came by with a trailer. We loaded cabinets that went into his house today.
Did take time to watch some ball games.

Bernie

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

My dad lives 2500 miles away, so I don't know what he did on Fathers Day. I called him the day before because it can be so hard to get a hold of my parents.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

This dad went to church and then to an outdoor meal at one of the church family's place...small group....missed my daughter's visit with her inlaws to see my gardens. They did get to see the gardens but would have gotten perhaps some strawberries, broccoli, and sugar snap peas if i had been home.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Took hubby and father in law out to eat at hubby's fav restaurant after church. My dad passed away 4 years ago, it does get easier.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

had a big BBQ at my house.... we hate going out and having limited menu, bad service and the food usually isn't the best on these holidays.... so we had 13 people over... i cooked for most of the day... and he loved it.... that's all that counts!

Palmyra, PA(Zone 6a)

My dear husband gave up "his" day for his daughter's graduation party. It was the only date that worked for our busy family. The kids did make him breakfast :) He's a great guy and I am a blessed woman!

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

We celebrate it whenever DFIL has time in his schedule. He's an Orchid nut.

Maggie

Saint Louis, MO

I worked while he took care of our sons. What a nice Dad!

Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

Pretty much relaxing for Dad aka DH here on the homestead until our newlywed DD and SIL brought him a grill to put together earlier, then our oldest DD and SIL and grandkiddies came for the cookout. We used the firepit not the new grill , still needed to be put together, lol. I say just look at the box and get er done!!!!!

Had a wiener roast at the campsite in our woods and roasted marshmallows, DGdaughter said whats that noise, it was the sound of a big bullfrog in the pond , so everyone got quite and listened. Very peaceful for just little bit then back to playing , noise again , and "I want to cook my own marshmallow" was heard, lol.

This little guy, three yrs old later this month, ran, played on the trails, even did his own marshmallow w/ us close at hand by the fire of course, fell yesterday on his kiddie jungle gym at his home and broke his collar bone : (. He's doing very good and being a big boy with his sling on his arm. DD is tossing the jungle gym and planting a tree to climb instead. By the time the tree is big enough to climb Gs will have outgrown his need to climb, I hope !!!!!!

My Dad is gone but he's always in my heart this special Fathers Day with memories of all the Father Day's we did have together.

Thumbnail by Lindawalkabout
High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Painted the kitchen... His choice.

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

Farmer's Market then lunch with grands. Youngest DGS wanted to talk about his Grandpas in the sky, so we told some stories and shared some family history with them. Sharing them with the little guys helps alot.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

My DH took off for Kentucky for a weeklong caving trip at Mammoth Cave (a geology course he wanted to take through KSU), so he drove most of Father's Day to get there. Not exactly a "family togetherness" day, but he loves being underground, so I guess it was the most meaningful thing for him, and that's what counts.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

My DH had to work on flood cleanup literally all weekend.

We did have a nice steak dinner ready for him when he got home.

Park Rapids, MN(Zone 3b)

Went to Itasca State Park (Headwaters of the Mississippi) for a picnic.

(Zone 10a)

Wow. I had no idea americans celebrated fathers' day in June. Ours is the first Sunday in September. When is your mothers' day over there?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Mother's Day is in May...the second Sunday I believe.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Daddy is in a better place now, so I didn't really do anything. I guess I could have gone to the cemetery, but I didn't.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.