chalk hill closing

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I checked online and my second purchase has been charged too, just didn't make the cut off on the last CC statement.

Delaware, OH

left a message there. answer tape is different than the old days. sad.
will add some more on if they call me back. very sad

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Maybe I'll be charged on this months?

Delaware, OH

i left a message days ago.they have not called me back. hope my order was received and held. feel so sad. jeanne, did you ever meet mary toomey there and see the display garden?
i went twice for the display garden. for the dedication and then for a luncheon with mary a couple of years later. once before they opened the garden to hear mary speak. she is amazing. the garden was amaxing. so sad it is closing even tho it was not my main source of plants.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Do we know why they decided to close? I had been hoping for a trip out there and was so disappointed when I heard they were closing.

Delaware, OH

i do not know, and could only speculate. just hope they are not heartbroken. the display garden was amazing. kay heafy , the owner had a big rose background too and her pergolas with rose and clematis combos were divine. the metal structures inthe display gardenwere to die for, mary toomey designed the garden. just hope it will remain intact as a garden for them.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

what size pot do they come in? The price is half off but he shipping is double. I would get 3 plants in a flat rate box.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

WOW! I just looked at the website. It is an incredible garden. So sad to see something beautiful like that closing. Are the prices on the website reflected the 50% off already? I am sure they are quality plants but prices are steep!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

The 50 perecent off shows in your cart. the shipping is expensive though

Most of the ones I want are gone....

****** OK. Let me just put it BLUNTLY. Shipping is A RIP OFF!!! That wasn't a 50% sale. I selected about $25 worth of plants and with shipping and handling, my total order came out to $55! NO WONDER THEY ARE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS! I am sure they will have an excellent retirement.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2008 12:32 PM

Delaware, OH

in defense of chalk hill ,they have a spectacular and expensive package for shipping. i am sure you are right and that is part of why they did not have a sustainable business model. but , knowing first hand the integrity of murray and the family, i do not think anything about it was a "rip off".
the silver star pack and ship method is excellent and i prefer it also to chalk hills. i will say tho that chalk hill has been very instrumental in the industry of clematis growing and drawing new addicts in (like me)...they are fine people and did a lot for the genus.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I must chime in - The folks that work there are extremely nice people and have been a great company in the PAST. However, there IS a reason why they are going out of business and some of that has to do with lowering the quality of plants, complaints, refunds, etc.

I agree with Merci - the shipping is crazy by any standard. But good luck to those who are taking a chance. Has anyone looked at Watchdog for them?????

I am not disputing the quality of their plants. They have a fantastic collection and everything looks wonderful but I still feel that shipping is excessive. May be it was the "handling" fee that puts it over the top.

Delaware, OH

that is the nice thing in america. we have choices and if the shipping isn't worth it to you , then you shop elsewhere! glad we live here, have a nice 4th.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

It is rather sad that this post has taken such a slanderous negative downturn!.. Murray and his partner of the Company have been an Icon in the USA clematis Industry for many years.They have sold zillions of clematis all over with multitudes of satisfied buyers finding hard to find clematis anywhere else.I am one who has bought well over 50 clematis from them and they always stood behind their clematis and either replaced them or refunded if their clematis didn't flourish in one's gardens.His shipping might have seemed a tad bit high but others aren't that cheap.Others have sold their clematis for 18 bucks + 9 for shipping making theirs no cheaper nor any better..His come in a 1/2 gallon pot....well rooted and guaranteed..I have been corresponding with Murray and know the reason why they are closing and trust me it has nothing to do with their business model as they were and are successful!...With every business there will be those that aren't pleased..so a few disgruntled people can't hold a candle to the zillions that were satisfied...I hope this will defunct the lies that are being spread via email as well....Jeanne

Delaware, OH

clematis can be an expensive addiction and chalk hill was the bergdorf goodman of clematis sources. so sad about the closing, i just went on line and ordered 8 more to go with the other order i made several weeks ago.
hope the mary toomey garden shall survive. without chalk hill i never would have gotten hooked on
clems , for that i am grateful and wish them all the best .

Orange County, NY(Zone 5b)

The S&H is excessive, I'll admit. It gave me pause, and then I decided that it is better not to think of it as a 50% off clematis sale, but more of a free shipping sale, because that is essentially what we are saving. My order earlier this year (pre-sale) was for two plants totaling $31.90 and the S&H was $17.15 (about half the price of the plants. So, free shipping is pretty good. Especially considering that we may never again see some of these clematis offered anywhere else. Without Chalk Hill, I wouldn't have my beloved Omoshiro. Would I have preferred that my CC not be charged until the time of shipping? Absolutely. Am I worried about it? Not really. I don't know why Chalk Hill is closing . I pray that is not due to tragic circumstances. These dedicated people have brought great beauty to the world and my little corner of it. I wish them the very best for the future.

Richmond Hill, GA

My thoughts exactly irishbelle. Not to be an alarmist but when I checked my order status I noticed that the OK to sub box said yes. I thought I had stated no subs when I placed my order. I sent Murray an email and they corrected it for me. It could have just been my order but you might want to check yours if you don't want substitutions.
Arlene

Delaware, OH

i don't want subs either, too likely it will be something i have or don't want. will call them and leave message to make sure, altho i checked "no subs" on the order as well.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I placed an order 2 weeks ago and i have seen NO plants yet!!!
I think i will call tomorrow!
Julie

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I was thinking that I had read on the website that they would be shipping in the fall. According to my email, my area would be mid Sept thru Oct.

Yep, I went and checked and the website states:

Quoting:
Plants will be shipped to your region in the fall at the appropriate time. We will start shipping to the colder regions in mid-August and end in the warmer regions in late October.

Richmond Hill, GA

Niobe, Look at your order confirmation. There is a line that reads Sub OK. Yours should be marked no. Mine was marked yes that's why I emailed them.
Arlene

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.