chalk hill closing

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Sadie Mae, I also ordered Pamela. It's a type I've never had before and hope it does well here in Texas. Sounds like it has a nice fragrance, too.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Janice...they will slowly go into dormancy for the winter..but what is great about planting clematis in warmer zones like ours is that the fall and winter is great as it is wet and the roots continue growing and developing..Just because a plant goes dormant doesn't mean it is doing nothing..for it is still growing its roots...I have found in my experience that the Clematis I plant in Oct/Nov in my zone 8B spring forward with a wonderful vigor moreso than those I plant in Spring...Those planted in Spring have the task of not only trying to get their roots established but also trying to grow vines..that is why it is advisable to hardprune and let them focus on their roots instead of vining the first year in the gardens...Jeanne

Delaware, OH

the chalk hill sale prompted me to place a big order too. however, over the years for my zone 5b,it is the opposite for fall vs spring success.
i get a higher rate of vigor, or even survival form spring plantings. however, ever the sucker for a sale, and nostalgic about chalk hill closing i am going to take extra precaution and see how i do with the 16 i have coming. i ordered a few more, but they must have been out of stock.
to perhaps better my success i plan to plant them in one of my clematis areas vs disperse them through out others, so i can check them more frequently and water accordingly. i have an area where there are sun and shade options, so i can do permanent placement i hope.
wintering over in pots or pots in the ground is not a good idea here in my zone. it has been several seasons since i did fall planting of clematis......

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Niobe, I totally agree with you on this. I planted two clematis last fall (early fall). One came through the winter beautifully and the other did not emerge at all (hopefully it's just taking a long nap!) I find it's worth sacrificing some bloom during that first season (by doing a spring planting) just to ensure the vine has a better chance of surviving the upcoming winter. I planted a new vine this spring and it has already caught up with the surviving one I planted last fall. Both have buds! In general, I'm starting to shy away from fall plantings since the last 2 winters for me have been very challenging!

This message was edited Jun 16, 2008 4:47 PM

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

I planted my Multi Blue & Princess Diana last fall in Sept-and they are doing GREAT this year!! I just made sure to mulch them heavily and didn't touch them-I also put in a slow release fertilizer...

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Janice: We live in the warmer gardening zones and the Summers in Maryland can be very hot and for the past few years we have also had droughts. Therefore, I prefer to plant my Clematis in early Fall when the temperatures are cooler and the rain fall is more abundant. However, this year has proven to be different in terms of the amount of rain fall we have received. It has been a very wet Spring and Summer so far. If you plant Clematis in early Fall in Maryland, they still have plenty of time to get established before Winter sets in. I've lost too many Clematis planting them in the Spring and then we go into instant Summer's heat. I now plant my Clematis in the Fall.

Everyone needs to be aware of the weather conditions in your growing areas. In the warmer zones, 7a & higher, Fall planting is a plus. In the colder growing areas, 6b and lower, Spring planting is optimal.

I think the important thing when fall planting is that you give them adequate time to get established before the first frost-at LEAST 6-8 weeks before-mine last year had about 10 weeks before the first hard frost.....this is true for any perennial, not just clematis...

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Fairy..that is a very good point!!...Jeanne

Thanks-I try to say at least 1 smart thing a year!!LOL

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL...you say alotta smart things hon...you are such an asset to this forum!!..And don't you forget it...Jeanne

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok here is my order. I am a glutton for punishment!!
'Alba Luxurians'
Asao'
Blue Dancer'
‘Bella’
Cassis ‘Evipo020’
Florida Pistachio
Francesca’
Galore 'Evipo032'
'Gillian Blades'
Hakuookan'
Hall'
heracleifolia 'Cassandra'
Kiev
Koreana var. fragrans
macropetala 'Maidwell
'Midnight Showers'
‘Nikolai Rubtsov’
'Pink Flamingo'
Rooguchi'
'Samantha Denny'
'Solidarnosc'
tubulosa (Syn. davidiana)
tubulosa 'Wyevale'
t 'Warszawska Nike'

'

'

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Ok, I've really got to stop now!! I just had to order 6 more, have no experience with this type or any idea of where I'm going to put them...it's a good thing I've got 3 months to figure it out ^_^

recta ‘Velvet Night’
'Floris V'
integrifolia ‘Alba’
integrifolia ‘Ozawa’s Blue’
‘Pastel Pink’
‘Petit Faucon’ (‘Evisix’)

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Wow, surprised they are closing! I just toured it about 3 weeks ago and they didn't say anything. I have my pictures on my laptop which needs to be fixed otherwise I'd post a few shots.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sadie I amin the same boat!! Not a clue where I am going to plant these but I do ahve 3 months or so to figure it out!!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Yep, I did this with an Iris and a Peony order too, I'd better get to thinking, LOL!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

No peonies but I have plenty of iris coming!! ( I have no clue where these are going either!!)

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ok yall..Murray finalized the ordering page and said all the buttons are updated to reflect exactly what is left..I added two more..Yipppppppppeeee...Finally got my Clematis "LadyBird Johnson" and another "Cassis"...good luck yall...Jeanne

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks Jeanne!!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Begoniacrazii, Calif_Sue, and I were just there not long ago and there wasn't a clue that they were closing down. We talked to the owner (or some guy in charge) for a long time and he told us about their plans for the display gardens. It must have been a very sudden decision.

Sue, I wonder if they're going to sell some of those fabulous roses in their display gardens.

Maybe another visit is in order!
I wanted one clematis and the shipping was higher than the plant, probably OK if ordering several but I just don't have room for more than 1 more. Maybe I can talk someone into dropping by for a pickup! ^_^

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

We have to let Lali know. She lives fairly close to the place.

Thats' what I was thinking! I already sent her a *hint hint* email.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, now the jig is up, because I sent her a link to this thread.

Psst, I copied her when I sent it to you, so now she'll really now it's urgent!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

You all are so not fair!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know-if you order them, are you charged now or closer to when they ship???

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

You are charged when they ship hon...Jeanne

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Added these two last night. I am done now!!
Kaiu・
'Ladybird Johnson'

Thanks....now I really feel the need to order:)

Richmond Hill, GA

Just to let everyone know, I received my credit card statement and my order was charged.
So they are charging credit cards now not when they ship. There was a question about that earlier.
Arlene

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Yep, same here.

Orange County, NY(Zone 5b)

I just checked my statement, and I was also charged already -- even though I asked to have the shipping confirmed prior to any charges being made, which I never received. This seems very much out of character.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

My cc statement came in and they charged my order too. ( well at least one of them. The other two may have been made after the cut off time)

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Well they are almost sold out!! I went on and bought any i did not have that they still had available!
It is hard to find some varieties at any price let alone half. i tried to stop myself but i fell victim to the clematis fever!
Julie

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

That is great. My other two charges hit already too. I am not going back to their site though. I have 26 coming to my palce and still not sure how I am moving the garden around to accommodate them all!!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Julie, you've definitely been bitten by the Clematis bug!

Marie: Don't forget that some of the shorter growing Clematis can be grown in containers and placed on your patio or deck for viewing up close.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Unless your me then they die in a pot!! I have some major moving to do anyway and I am dying for winter to get here so I can move them around!!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

My Credit card hasn't been charged yet~

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

That is strange.

Delaware, OH

i am calling chalk hill about my order, maybe some orders didn't process in the deluge when the close out started.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.