chalk hill closing

Delaware, OH

was really surprised to get an e mail last night alerting me to chalk hill closing. really sad. it is not my main source of plants, but i have been out there several times for lectures. a few years ago they put in a huge clematis display garden that is divine. they dedicated it to Mary Toomey , my clematis idol.
they have a 50% sale for fall deliverys right now, once they liquidate the stock i guess that is it.

i have to find out what they are doing with the display garden.
i'll attach a photo of a cut clematis in a vase, as this is kay heafey, the owners specialty. her book, "a celebration of clematis" is full of gorgeous photos of cut clematis arrangements . she has also been an inspiration.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I got that email, too...and I am very saddened by this. I have many Clematis from them...

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

Is that the one in CA-I am trying to find it...

Delaware, OH

they were my inspiration from the beginning. i didn't even know what a clematis was and i received a quality cataloge with no photos..i ordered 16 plants. most of which are long gone as my starting expertise was low.
traveled there 3 times for lectures, met mary toomey my clematis idol there. went to the dedication of the clematis display garden a few years ago.....i just ordered 20 plants from the closing sale. the property is so beautiful and kay's combinations were breathtaking as she had started a s a rose grower...she had a butterscotch colored rose with perle d azur i believe covering a huge area that was out of this world. they also make a fabulous olive oil and balsemic vinegar. i will have to call to see if that operation also is going to be suspended....the grower there murray rosen has been so helpful and is a real expert...i am sure they will all be up to fantastic things, but it is the passing of an era as they were my starting inspiration!!!

So then it is the one in CA then????

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Yes, it is in Northern California...they are updating their web site and plants will be 50% off, and delivered in the fall...I have 5 picked out...

Thanks-I am on there now too-have to get at least a couple:)

Richmond Hill, GA

Site is updated as of this morning. I ordered some already. Hate to hear about this.
Arlene

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

is the prices thier showing before or after the 50% off

Richmond Hill, GA

Once you click to buy it's in your cart with the discount. I bought 7 and the total came to 56.86 shipping 56.84.
Arlene

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

It was $70 something for 5, for me...I wonder why so much less for you, in Georgia??
I was going to see in anyone in Texas, wants to do an order together, so we could split the shipping? Jeanne???

Orange County, NY(Zone 5b)

This was my order and the shipping was more than the subtotal. I have asked for them to confirm the amount. I have to believe that this is an error.

Name Code Qty Each Options
-------------------------------------------------------
'Dominika' PL-323 1 6.98
'Põhjanael' PL-1016 1 7.98
Vostok PL-2083 1 6.98
'Star of India' PL-897 1 6.98
Amanda Marie PL-2058 1 6.98
'Beata' PL-2001 1 7.48
Kommerei PL-2072 1 6.98
‘Nikolai Rubtsov PL-1014 1 7.98
'Solidarnosc' PL-2054 1 7.98
Subtotal 66.32
Shipping 70.08
Tax 0.00
Total 136.40

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

That seems about what mine was, although I only had 5..the shipping was just a few dollars less than the Clematis.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I made my order...while I was deciding, they apparently sold out of the one that I really wanted (Florida Pistachio) as it just disappeared from my cart, poof! it was gone... so I got 3 for me, and 4 for my friend, Karen...we are going to split the shipping..
I got:
integrifolia pastel blue
florida sieboldiani
foxy
and Rosethyme (Karen) got:
arabella
juuli
otto frobel
pamela

Richmond Hill, GA

I ordered:
Florida Pistachio PL-2065 1 6.98‘
Countess of Lovelace’ PL-919 1 6.98
florida var. sieboldiana PL-213 1 8.98
florida var. flore-pleno PL-212 1 8.98
'Miniseelik' PL-892 1 6.98
'Teshio' PL-351 1 7.98
Oonagare PL-2090 1 9.98
Subtotal 56.86
Shipping 56.84
Tax 0.00
Total 113.70
Arlene

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I placed an order too. Anyone know why they are closing?

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Nothing lasts forever ( so they say)

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

I wish the shipping wasn't so high...would like to have more. Is it true they will be updating their website again showing what else is available?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Rose..they already have their site working and they won't last long...I ordered 10 yesterday...got a wonderful Email from Murray to let me know he is ok...He shall be missed...Jeanne

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Jeanne, glad Murray is okay. Melva and I did a joint order and I got Pamela(my first of this type so hope it does well), Arabella, Juuli, Otto Froebel. Of course there were some others that are on my wishlist. Really, really want Montana Marjorie for its white/pink blend(with greenish tinge?) coloring but they are sold out.

What did you get?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Rose..Me too hon..He has been so kind and generous to me over the years and so helpful..He always guaranteed his clematis which some around don't..He would replace your clematis or refund!
I bought:
‘Entel’
‘Nikolai Rubtsov’
'Põhjanael'
Florida Pistachio
'Miniseelik'
'Beata'
'Dawn'
Eetika
'Hotaka'
Wisley
Glad you and Melva were able to get together on an order...Jeanne

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

So now I know where my Florida Pistachio, went! Cuttings, I need cuttings!

Mahomet, IL

melvatoo, I was just on the site a couple of minutes ago, and it let me add Florida Pistachio to my cart. I was just mock-shopping--that one's not hardy in my zone. But you might swoop over there and have another try at that one.

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Melva if you do, I want Jacqui...a Montana type. It looks like they still don't have Marjorie available.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I have been on the Chalk hill site and for the life of me i can not figure out how to place and order!!!
I have hit every button but to no avail. Can anyone help?
Thanks Julie

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

If there is not an order button on the Clematis, it is one they are out of...(at least that is what I thought)
I wish I could get the Pistachio, no more money...

Mahomet, IL

jazzzy704, on a couple, there was a "buy" button, but it didn't add to my cart, which I think means that it's recently gone out of stock and they just haven't had time to put "out of stock" on the site yet.

If you've literally clicked every button and nothing happens, maybe trying clearing your computer cache, or using a different browser--

Delaware, OH

yesterday when i ordered, i noticed some of the clematis, more than a few do not have a
order option on the page with the flower photo and description. i am assuming those are ones they were already out of stock on.
the ones they have in stock have a place that says "order" under the photo and description.

to make sure if it is something you really want, maybe call them monday morning and try and place the order for them by phone?

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

I noticed when trying to order Allanah a note(narrow yellow box) appears at the very top saying it's unavailable.

Melva, I got your Pistachio and my Jacqui! Hoping they will just send them with the others to save on shipping.Also couldn't resist Solidarnosc...a gorgeous red. It's a type 2 so hope it will be okay here if I treat it like a type 3.

I was going to order a couple, but I can't spend more on shipping then on the flowers....if it was closer to like my Bday or something I could justify it...oh wel...

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, I'm such a bad girl! Not supposed to be buying any plants 'cause we're saving up for vacation.

But I just ordered 2 from Chalk Hill. I looked to see if they were available at other places and couldn't see them anywhere, so I figure it's now or never. Right? Yeah, that's it.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

LOL digi-you go girl!!

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Which 2, did you get? Sounds like a good story to me! and where do you plan to go for vacation?

I really want Mikelite & Andromeda-they look soooo pretty!!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I got King George V and Samantha Denny. I've been wanting Samantha Denny for a while, and then I just saw the King George V there for the first time and it seems really different from the other clematis.

We're planning a big trip to Vegas at the end of August. I've been working hard all year to lose weight and get in shape (health issues, etc.) and have lost 28 pounds so far, 22 to go. Vegas is part of my "congratulations to me" and also my boyfriend has never been there, and I know he will love it. PLUS, I'm originally from California and a bunch of my CA friends are going to meet us in Vegas and hang out. So I'm really looking forward to it.

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Fairy1004, you will love Mikelite....a beautiful, dark grape juice color.

I like your story, Digigirl...sounds like mine. And CONGRATS on your weight loss!

Some of these clematis won't be available in the USA after Chalkhill closes. I wanted Montana Jacqui so bad and there is no other source that I know of. Rationalized I better get it ..and others, while I can. I'd get a bunch more if I had the money.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I was incredibly surprised and saddened by the news that Chalk Hill Clematis Nursery is closing. They are a wonderful source of hard to find and unusual Clematis. About 5 years ago, I had the pleasure and opportunity to visit the nursery and meet Murray Rosen, the nursery manager. He was very nice, helpful and informative. When Chalk Hill closes, it will be a huge loss to the entire Clematis growing community.

Middle River, MD(Zone 7a)

If you receive and plant clematis in the fall - do they enter into a "dormant" period?

thanks - janice

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I ordered 4 from Chalk Hill this weekend. That makes 17 that I've ordered in the last month, almost doubling the number I already had. Here's what I ordered, the shipping was a couple of bucks more than the plants but they're different kinds than most that I already have.
Pink Flamingo
Odoriba
Pamiat Serdtsa
Pamela

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.