What's outside your back door?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Wonderful pics! Very spacious, Pepper!!! Shari I love the water fountain, and the little bridge! Soooo cute! Wow Christi, lots of bright colors!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

My yard is large. Back in the day 1/3 acre was de rigeur. Amyway, it would take 10 or more pictures to capture it. That is not intended to be a brag, just a fact.. Remember, I have been overhauling this patch of land for almost 42 years. About time it became something, don't cha think?

PK

This message was edited Jun 13, 2008 9:15 PM

Thumbnail by LouC
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We have just under an acre and the back yard is small. lol. When you step off the back patio and go to the oak tree you are in the neighbor's yard. Front yard is huge though.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine is really small, there's just alot of stuff in it! Christi, those are lovely, now we just need the other eight.....please share!

I have plumerias, orchids, a peach double hibiscus and a couple of daylilies in bloom, oh, and the periwinkles....most of the rest is foliage.

The lemon tree in the neighbor's yard in back has a lot more lemons this year.

Daylily

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Plumerias

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Mandevilla

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Peach double hibiscus

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

Beautiful! That Peach double hibiscus looks and sounds good enough to eat.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Periwinkles in red, lavender, and white.....here's the red.

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Mary, it's funny, sometimes it's peach, sometimes it's almost a deep orange. I guess the weather, the heat has something to do with the coloring.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Jeanne, you grow so many beautiful things in your yard. I love the red periwinkle. May have to get some of those for the places the larkspur left vacant. No vacancy allowed.

Christi

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

You all have such lovely gardens, and I am so enjoying seeing the pictures of them all - they are better than any gardening magazine you could buy!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks! I wish I had more things that bloom. Most of it is just green. Fortunately I like green. Today the Rain Lillies are in bloom. Will have to go get a picture.
I mainly got the periwinkles to add some color with all of the green. It adds a nice touch. They are in pots here and there. First year I've done that. It's nice!

Thank you for your kind words!!!!!

I have rain lilies too that were given to me by a friend in April. I have one bloom today. I think I am gonna go take pics outside since it is nice and sunny. :~)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

We brought these rain lillies from my Mom's. I couldn't decide what to do with them so they are in small pots at the moment. I really need to find a place for them.

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Since they aren't hardy here mine will stay in pots and come in this winter.

So far only one canna has popped of all the bareroots I planted. Grrrr.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I had cannas from last year (they are in pots) a couple came back, but one big pot full did not. I don't have very good luck with cannas so far.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Cannas are so pretty when they are blooming, but then they can get a bit ratty looking. I'm not sure they are worth the trouble...DD and I are mixed about it. She continues to grow them, I have given up.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

I gave up on cannas too, they became rather a nightmare, spreading all over the place. It has been very hard to eradicate them, although they are pretty, they were too much of a good thing for us! We now only have a couple of special ones that we like and we are watching them like a hawk, that's the trouble when you have no cold weather to keep things in check...

(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

We have the same trouble here. I tried a few in really big pots, but never could keep them happy. The leave got very ratty looking, and then they expanded so much in the pots that it just looked a mess. I tossed them this spring.

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Here's what's outside of my backdoor- the other half of our 5 acres. Anyone who is itching to fulfill a need to plant stuff- you are welcome to come over anytime!

Thumbnail by fauna4flora
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone! Hope you had a great weekend!

Fauna, GORGEOUS palms! I love palm trees!

Universal City, TX(Zone 8b)

Living in zone 8b I have some of the same plants. Only I grow my plumerias in large pots so I can take them in for the winter. Right now I have my orchids outside, citrus trees, canas, hibiscus, and, even a large 14 by 18 foot pond. My back yard looks like a semi tropical garden. Its been really hot here and no rain. Having to water the pots every other day. Hope we can make it through water restrictions. Wish my back yard looked as good as yours.

We have water restrictions here, too. And I don't think they are going to go away- parhaps ever. Believe it or not, we fit in well with the restrictions because we rarely watered often anway- certainly not the every day that so many people in FL think their lawns need. We are on twice a week for lawn irrigation and hand watering is allowed as long as there is a shut off valve on the hose. However, we are all very grateful the rainy season has started, and hope you get some rain soon, too!

Here is a part of my backyard that doesn't look good- it's been a long hard struggle for me. I've been on the property 2 years now- my DH 20 years. This was his huge debree pile from 3 hurricanes. Well, I spent 3 solid weekends burning that off- it felt like my contribution to the heartache and work of hurricanes even though I didn't live here then. And then I let it sit for a long time because my dream is to have a leveled, raised bed shade cloth enclosed vegetable house with irrigation. With my son still not in public school and the economy the way it is.......I eventually gave up on that idea- for now. Then I became a DG member and got all these wonderful seeds. So, my concept now is to pile it high with mulch (there is broken glass and all kinds of unmentionables in there), roundup the weeds and create a bee and butterfly garden. You wouldn't believe it- I've actually noticed 3 more types of butterflies than I used to because of this.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2008 3:56 PM

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

Monarch larvae on Asclepias.

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

Sunflower in the "back back" as we call it.

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

Another sunflower- double golden sun or something like that......

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

Tithonia. The butterflies really seem to like this one.

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

Four o'clocks- not open yet. I didn't know how they would turn out since I guess I heard they don't do well in south Florida, but they seem pretty happy to me- and tough. This part of the yard does not have irrigation or good soil.

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

Calendula. I really like this one. I had no idea it would open and close every day.

Thumbnail by fauna4flora
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

MM, Sounds like you also have quite a variety! I do think about what would happen if we had watering restrictions! It's rough when that happens! Thanks for the compliments! It's been four years in the making and truly a family project. The kids and grandkids are all great helpers.

Fauna, I love butterflies! It's neat that your plants are attacting so many new ones! That is great! Things take time, looks like you are making progress!

This message was edited Jun 16, 2008 2:17 PM

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

A bill collector. Everybody acts like were all OK.

Thumbnail by LApalms

TXGal, BH Nom, Flora/Fauna, MM Titus (great job handling the frost,) Thatakes work and obvious requires mucho work!!
CONGRATES!!!!
It's people like you that are True champions!!!
I just run down to home Depot, "the Lazy one".
Yousee challenges and Bravely move to it and welcome the challenges. And NEVER LET anyone tell you that "those don't grow here",.
Thats a load af caca, and ALWAYS try anyway. In your area there are techniches to protectingthe plant, from covering in a particur way mad other thechniques

Thumbnail by LApalms

Hola Mi Amigos, Laguna Beach (possibly the most beautiful beach in The world ?) You are such a great group of people. I LOVE you all!!!

This message was edited Jun 16, 2008 3:13 PM

Thumbnail by LApalms
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

It is a beautiful beach LAPalms! Yes we do have to protect our plants, but it's worth it!!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Aloha everyone! My oldest daughter and her family (including my two wonderful grandsons!) are visiting this week, and we have been on the go for days! They are golfing now, so I have a few moments and wanted to say howdy! Great pics everyone! Love the sunflowers, and the pic of Laguna! Off to the beach for some snorkeling with the boys...

later all!

Yokwe,
Shari

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Shari, have a great time with your family!

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

my back yard at least i don't have to mow any grass

Thumbnail by candela
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Candela, Very Tropical!!!!!!! Very lovely!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.