What's outside your back door?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's part of the backyard. No plants yet on this part except for clematis.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, very spacious! Beautiful country! Looks very peaceful Pepper!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It's only peaceful when my next door neighbor isn't home. lol. Those are their Roses of Sharons there on the right. The back yard is small, almost nonexistent but the sides and front are great!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

"eyes" wanna go to the beach!!

"eyes"

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Eyes, Me too! I love the beaches with that blue blue sky and water! Just gorgeous! Wish Galveston Bay looked liked that!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Did someone say beach??? This is not quite out my back door, but it sure isn't far from it. My son-in-law, me, and my darlin Taligirl enjoying the sun, sand and a little bit of surf.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That's what I'm talkin about! Look at that gorgeous blue water! It's definately close enough to be out your back door Shari!!!!!!! Tali looks likes she's having fun!

Great shot! Thanks for sharing!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

My white ginger that Randy gifted me are blooming! They are so fragrant! They are just heavenly! Thanks Randy! I could have those fill the whole back yard!!!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

My amaryllis seeds that a friend gave me rooted in the plastic bag! I guess they were dying to get planted! So now they are all in potting soil and coming up nicely!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Now in the soil

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Jeanne...I love my white ginger! You are so right...the smell is just intoxicating. If you figure out how to keep them blooming, please let me know. Mine bloom for such a short time, and then look pretty ratty until finally (!) they bloom again. Enjoy!!!

Yokwe,
Shari

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I pick them everyday! I have to bring them in....I have no idea how long they will bloom...this is my first experience with them....not long enough, I'm sure!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

White ginger and Tabernaemontana are the two best smelling plants in my garden, bar none! Carol has mentioned in the past that the plant files entry for Tab..by Joe? is incorrect...the correct one really does have the most wonderful smell.
Missed you guys over the last few days. Christi (LouC) was going in today to have dye shot into the spine to see how bad the problem is, hopefully she is okay and they didn't get air in which she tells me gives you a beast of a headache - she was rather dreading today...

(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

Good luck Christi - hope all went well!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

We've missed you too, Jen! Sure hope Christi is OK, she's been thru so much lately. Christi, let us know how you are sweetie!

Mary hope you are OK as well!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

What sweeties you are. Wasn't a piece of cake I can tell you that. I was afraid of the drawing fluid from the spinal column and then injecting dye. That didn't bother me. After several xrays, moved to the cat scan. Laid down and they said pull your knees up to your chest. Aye yi yi! Cramps in both legs everywhere....then the dye hits my head, I thought the top of my head was going to blow off. Then was nasueas. Perspired so much that the scrub suit I had on was dripping wet. Lasted about 10 minutes and then I was just very tired. Have done NOTHING the rest of the day. Doc told Mike that for tomorrow...same thing...Nothing....not even cooking. hahahaha Little does he know I haven't cooked in years. Mike is the absolute best. He is worn out from worry.

The doctor was not encouraging. He said he found spondelosis in addition to the other misfires. Looks like I won't be doing much gardening for several months. Just as I have such wonderful tropicals and there will a lot to do to protect them from our Texas winter. (Now, Michael, move that here, darlin'...no over here)

PK

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

OOOOOH! So sorry that is was so uncomfortable and exhausting! I know that Mike will take care of you! Bless your hearts! Do take it easy!

Good luck with your surgery on the 31st! Will keep you in our prayers!

This message was edited Jul 9, 2008 10:04 PM

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh Dear Christi! I am so sorry you needed to go through that horrible experience! I have every confidence in Mike, but sure wish you didn't have to endure so much! Definately sending good thoughts up for you.

Been missing everyone...thought you had all gone on hiatus or something. Been busy and battleing a fluish set of symptoms we call Kwaj Krud. Just part of island life, we are so small that the bugs just make the rounds, then start over...can be a bit of a drag sometimes. Got "girls night out" tonight...wish you could all be with us. Not many girls, since it is summer and so many folks are off island, but we will persevere, and do out utmost to maintain the impeccable standards of enjoyment that our "girls night's" have come to represent. (we have fun!!!)

Yokwe all,
Shari

Oh Christi, you poor little thing, what an awful day you have had. I bet Mike is taking just the best care of you, and I bet he IS out of his mind with worry. Give him a big kiss from me, a a HUGE hug to you.

Shari, been missing you, wish I was there for girls night out - one day, I warn you! I have had my brother visiting and several water related problems - I am known locally as Mrs Noah, even by the plumber whose child we are sending to college lately!

Picture of Frank, my brother Steve and my Mom. You can see how much Steves visit meant to her... Steve is the one with the biggest tummy!

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

Sorry it was so tough for you Christi! Hope every day feels better.

Wow Jenny! Two handsome men - No wonder your Mom looks beautiful and radiant! Can't help but notice that lovely yellow brugmansia blooming it's heart out too.

Mary

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Jenny, if your Mom's smile is an indication of how much Steve's visit made her happy...well, my goodness! Was this pic taken in your garden? Gorgeous! If the visit couldn't make her smile, just being in such a lovely setting sure should have! I know you have posted beautiful pictures before, but I think there is just something about seeing smiling faces enjoying the lush surroundings that puts a perspective on our gardening...isn't that what it's all for? I really like the "pink path"...isn't that what you called it? A peaceful and serene setting for a very happy looking family. Well done on all counts!

Yokwe,
Shari

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I agree! Beautiful family and beautiful garden Jen!

Shari we've been missing you too! Sure wish we could share in your girl's night out! Have FUN!

Thanks everyone!

Mary, that brug is a Jesse Noel. I made the mistake of planting it in full sun from the get go and it's taken a whole year for it to start to feel happy in that spot.

Shari, the patio was made from odd stepping stones we found throughout the garden. Luckily we found enough whole ones to just fit that area, and yes, the pink paths join up with it! The little white table and chairs were found under a huge pile of lilikoi plants (together with bed springs!). It has taken me forever to get the rust off and to spray paint the primer and the paint, but although it's not perfect I am pretty please with the way it turned out. By the way I hope you are over "the crud"

Christi, hope you are feeling better today - the garden is looking super-duper! Now is the time to put your feet up and rest and gaze over all that lush green!

Jeanne, hope you are feeling better now too!

Yokwe to all!

In my usual fashion of only showing the good bits of the garden, not all the weeds and rough pieces of land, this is the garden area at the bottom of the lanai steps. The cadium do really well for me here, probably because the soil is always so warm. I just learnt that if you dig them up and cut them into chunks with eyes on them (like potatoes) they will all sprout and you can have many more. Anyone do this?

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, how beautiful, Jen. It was already paradise and the addition of the pathway has really added to it. I don't know how you have the time to do so much and then work away from home as well.

Just a note to everyone: Jenny and her mother are drop-dead gorgeous.

PK

Christi, I love you dearly - but you DO need new glasses!

Hope this morning finds you feeling better, and some of the pain from the shingles has gone. I don't think everyone knows that you are suffering from that as well as everything else, you poor little thing. Jeanne's right, we are all going to be with you on the 31st...

Aloha

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, Here I am with decisions to make....again. Just got information from surgeons office that he will be out of town on the 31st. Have choice of July 29th or Aug.12th.??????

Christi

Does he have any worry about operating while you have shingles? My grandmother was slated to have a masectomy and they had her on the table ready to go and the surgeon noticed that she had shingles and refused to operate on her. She woke up thinking it was all over..

I think the question is how long can you put up with your poor back the way it is now? Is your daughter going to able to take some time off work to nurse you after you get home? My vote is to get it over with as soon as possible, I bet that's what Carol would say. She also says that your back condition is far worse than hers was...

We are all with you, kiddo!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Have decided. Shingles should be definitely gone by 8/12. Now I can go to the RU at Randy's on the 26th of July. I had cancelled because I didn't want to be overly tired before such an undertaking. That will give me two more weeks.

Hard to keep me away from a party.

Thank you for concern, Jen. After first I thought I had a choice of surgery or no.
Not after what I know now. Just plenty of pain killers for the time-being.

PK

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

So glad that you will be able to make it to the party, Christi. Hope that you are feeling some relief from the shingles.

We are still enjoying the plumerias, the white ginger, snail vine is in bloom, yellow hibiscus, periwinkles, and a brug just opened.

Seedlings are growing well. Hope everyone is OK! Aloha y'all!

Aloha,

Hang in there Christi, we are all going to be with you on the 12th! I, too, hope the shingles are a little easier now, what a bummer - a double whammy.

But - so glad you are going to the party Christi, Jim and Carla thought that you were not going to be able to make it. I think it's great that you will all get to meet each other...I told Jim all about Randy's garden, and all about you and Jeanne when he and Karla visited Maui!

Wish I were going too!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry, guess I haven't given an update. Have cancelled reservations at Sara's B&B and told Randy I just can't ride that far. Went for pre-op yesterday. Don't know how many tests I have had. Another xray yesterday. The shingles were from stress. Almost gone now. I am in excellent over-all health...my back just looks like I have been hit by a car. Have never been off my feet and am not looking forward to any part of this. Somedays, I think I would rather deal with what I am familiar with.

Christi

So glad to hear the shingles are almost gone, but so sorry to hear that you can't make the trip to Randy's - but I think maybe that's a wise decision...Thinking of you...

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

The Hoja Santa is over the top this year and still growing. also known as root beer plant. My yard is truly a tropical paradise for now. Enjoying every minute I can. Finally had about 1/2 hour of showers last night, first in over a month.

Thumbnail by LouC
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Your yard is fantastic! My little plant you gave me now has three leaves. I think it would prefer to be in the ground. I need to find a place to put it!

Don't overdo before your surgery, Christi! Take care of yourself!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Some of the Rose of Sharon / Althea's are in bloom. We have lavender, pink, and white.

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

The amaryllis seedlings are going crazy!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

The cross I made of some Tropical Hibiscus produced about twenty seeds, but so far only two have germinated. They pretty much look the same...so I'll only post one picture!

This message was edited Jul 29, 2008 3:16 PM

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Last fall I bought a papaya at the store. I dried the seeds and planted them a couple of weeks ago. The have germinated and I have baby papaya seedlings!
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Randy for all of the help you gave me back then!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Three of our banana trees have baby bananas on them. I wish they would have more per tree. Does any one know how to pollenate them?

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.