First Lilies Part II

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Continuation from previous thread!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/838972/

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

American Dream opening up

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

steve, I really, really like the yellow tiger lily that you posted in your first thread. Also the noid orange, how perfectly gaudy!

have you grown the yellow and/or the white stargazer? I'm thinking I need those.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

The big one opening - it is inbcredibly windy (probably 40 mph+) and hot here today....and when I got home to my horror I found these bent over and almost touching the ground because of the wind and the flower weight. They had not needed staking until today, so I staked them and fortunatelty they were not damaged :-)

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi Nery,

I have some Stargazers but they're just starting to open....have a few Orientals open but they're looking ROUGH with the heat and the wind. Has been horrible here lately.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

And thanks - I agree with you on the yellow Tigers....I was surprised how much I like those as well. Those are "King Pete" and Van Engelen or John Scheepers sells those.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

making note of King Pete. We're not having as much wind as you but I have so many things flopped over, it's not even funny.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I guess these are Orientals, I'm not sure yet, but bloom has opened this week, and to me they are beautiful.Some are way behind, but that maybe location.Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm absolutely delighted to see all your beautiful blooms!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Lily_Love

Mike, those look like trumpets of some kind - I would almost think they were Easter lilies!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Man, you guys!!!! It just keeps getting better and better. :) I love lilies...

Steve, I love that American Dream, it's really sweet...

Mike, don't you just love those Trumpets? they are just the coolest lilies. :)

Keep the pictures coming.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree Steve, but its a little late for easter, unless you rush the bloom in a controlled environment.Kim, you know you had something with my interest in lilies.Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77
Fox River Valley Are, WI(Zone 5a)

Anyone else have Z5a lilies? :*) I grew this from NALS seed. I have a hard time telling L.Pumilum-type and L.Pumilum-golden gleam apart.

Thumbnail by intercessor
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mike, it's good to see you here sharing those beautiful blooms. Interc. Now you have got a designated bed strictly for your lilies. I like the idea. And those are bright scarlet red, how unusual! Lovely too.
Kim

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the new thread Steve. Just how tall area those American Dreams now?

Tomah, WI

Steve, You have some real beauties there. Love the American Dream & the trumpet!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks you guys :-) I appreciate that. I have some more OT's that should be open tomorrow. Not too much new today. Still hot as heck but at least the wind is gone.

You were right goldfinch, it was getting far too long!!! ^_^

I have some Stargazers open :-)

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Here is a really nice LA lily called "Tamburo"

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

HMM the American Dreams are not that tall - about 4 feet. The yellow OT is between 6 and 7 ft. It looks trumpety but is actually an Orienpet. Can't remember the variety. Coloring is similar to Conca d'Or but Conca d'Or is much flatter and more outfacing so it's not that.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Here's more of a closeup

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh yes Steve , similar tastes we do have.

Can't wait to see tomorrow's show.

My first one should be a race between 'Elegant Lady' and 'Earliest Rosepoint Lace' (it really is early, Judith (Lily Garden) was right on that one!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Yes we do, Tracey - across the board, huh!

I am looking forward to seeing your early lilies bloom as well :-)

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

'Tamburo' really looks like B &D's picture. I can't wait for mine here. Hopefully it will be a good LA and multiply like crazy ^_^

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh you have it also? Wonderful! :-) I think you'll really really like it.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

I bought it for the lighter center. It really looked unique in pictures. How tall did yours get? Just curious.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I think it's a couple feet tall. Hopefully will get a little taller next year. Let me seeif I have a wider-frame picture - it kind of "glows" in the sun.

The lily on the left with the top gone succumbed to freeze damage if you can believe that early in the season!

Here it is (Tamburo):

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Yeah, I really, really like that one. (I know, I've said this before...but REALLY, I mean it ^_^)

I think I just bought one of them. I'll have to go out and find it tomorrow. I'm curious on the height now. I thought it was three or four feet, but yes, the first year these beauties don't get as tall as they will later on. Very nice. Holding up well in the heat? It looks like it.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

So far, MOST of my lilies are. the daylilies look great, LOL. Some of the Orientals look really rough...but the LA's and the OT's are doing fine. I even had some Regales showing a lot of petal scorch a few days ago so I snipped the flowers off.

This clump of Algarves that I planted in 2006 has been in bloom 3 weeks now and still not showing any significant heat stress. I am amazed some of the bulbs in this group are still blooming.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I have another new bloom up here; this is the 6th lily to bloom this year-
Green Goddess, from Buggy Crazy. She described it as a complex hybrid with L. lankongense and L. candidum in it's background.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

This grouping is about to open up.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

jmorth, you are definitely doing something right in your 5b garden. Do you always get blooms so early? Lovely lilies on this thread.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks wickerparker, my records indicate that by this time last year I'd had 19 different varieties of lilies blooming.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

jmorth...always, always, always enjoy early Buggy blooms! You are waaaaaaaay ahead of me. You must have some secret warming potion for your soil ^_^

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow Jay, those are really gorgeous!! Your lilies are sure putting on a show for us. Thanks for sharing.

Diann

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Here's a wider view of my garden by our side door - just took this a few minutes ago.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I think this is "Orania"

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

More Orania..

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Tomah, WI

Steve, As always beautiful lilies! What is the purple daylily in the forground? It is a beauty also.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The foreground pics. of daylilies? I love the group planting. Wonderful job, Steve!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

"Silk Road" opening up...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.