Do you remember the song, "Yes, we have no bananas"?

Longboat Key, FL

Peek-a-boo.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

......................a-boo

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Mulberry, FL

lol I'm going to have to go out there and get a few of mine

Mulberry, FL

Ok can you find the bananas? Since winter was so bad not many coming usally I have them everywhere

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

flyboy, I started reading this blog from the beginning, where you first traded your figs for banana's. LOL....still giggle at that. However, what I wanted to say is: here in Oklahoma, we do not have a long enough growing season to get fruit, I have several banana trees a friend gave me this spring. We have to dig them and put in a cool dry place over the winter because we get too cold. To contain, I have my largest ones planted in a 1/2 whiskey barrell filled with good potting soil. I have 2 in it, they are currently about 5 inches in diameter. I have 2 babies growing. The barrell keeps them contained, and since they are a shallow root, there is plenty of root room for them. Just an idea for ya!

Praise God and Count Your Blessings,
Crit

Longboat Key, FL

Way to go -- Crit.

You'll get your bananas to eat -- I am sure.

Be well

(o_O)

Longboat Key, FL

The new crop is slow in ripening.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

But the pygmy just popped a bud (or blossom ) (or bunch).

The thing is just shoulder high -- so I won't need a ladder.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

I lost all my banana trees this winter. They were in the garage which usually doesn't get to freezing, but snow blew in the doggy door onto them. Not exactly sure what killed them, but they were mush this spring. :-(

Longboat Key, FL

If you care to come down (to Florida), stop by.

I have a great many baby trees ready for adoption.

Be well

(o_O)

You got it! I'm on the next plane! Probably should call my DH and let him know I will be late for dinner. ^_^

Longboat Key, FL

Who said dinner?

I said baby banana plants. That's all.

Be well

(o_O)

lol .... I'm hoping the gal that gave me the ones last year will give me some more. She said she had some.

Longboat Key, FL

I am hoping that someone who wants one (or more) comes to me.

Be well

(o_O)

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I think you killed their interest when you said no dinner. At least give then a free ticket for a BigMac!

Longboat Key, FL

Big spender -- you.

(o_O)

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Dang flyboyFL, we killed all the interest.

Figs are finally ripening in NC, Celeste is delicious, my no-name large green fig is very good, my LSU Gold is pretty mushy.
I don't think LSU Gold is a keeper although it is nice and big (see photo). Of course, what should I expect from LSU ? - go Gators!.
Lots of black mission figs on the tree - maybe will start ripening in 2 weeks.

As someone said , maybe flyboy himself, this seems to be a great year for figs.

Thumbnail by pbyrley
Longboat Key, FL

I am eating dried figs --- and dried bananas -- and dried tomatoes. They really are good. The dehydrator worked like a charm.

There just enough neighbors around to eat the stuff while it is fresh.

Funny thing about the figs. Brown Turkeys and Green Isckias are still ripening -- but small.

My Black Mission is putting out humongous leaves, but not a hint of a fig. maybe I gave it too much water.

The Carrie mangos are delicious. I finally had to top-off the tree to keep next year;s fruit where I can reach it by hand.

And, best of all, the small-fry fish are swarming -- and the birds AND THE BIG FISH are here in abundance.

I guess all we really need is fresh water and a good supply of electricity. (And booze.)

Be well

(o_O)

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Flyboy,
I cut down and dug up my black mission after 5 yrs & lots of growth (10 feet high)and never one fig. I had already (2 Summers ago) dug up a sucker from this black mission and re-planted it abut 25 yards away and I now have about 25 figs on it now - they are delicious! I had the old one 5' from the S. wall of the house and it may have had construction trash under it like plaster or concrete. Anyhow black mission rides again. These are both from the original black mission fig I had in Huntersville (shown here)

Thumbnail by pbyrley
Longboat Key, FL

You are a very lucky gardener.

I still have luxurious growth -- no figs.

It has a sucker coming up in front of it -- maybe this will do the trick.

Be well

(o_O)

Yummy !

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I'd trade all my black missions for a few of your big fish!

Longboat Key, FL

Fishing is actually slow.

That is, until the schools of small fry come into my turning basin. Then it lights up like a washing machine with the ladyfish and trout feasting on them and churning up the water.

I have to file the barbs off of my lures so that I don't waste time throwing what I catch back into the water. It's great fun (I don't know whether you'd call it "sport."

It's sort of like "fishing in a barrel."

But, still -- no figs on the Black Mission.

Be well

(o_O)

Longboat Key, FL

Dehydrator -- get ready.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey flyboyFL,
it's starting to get cold here so I'm starting to think about my drive to FL- I keep trying different times but I think I will shoot for May next year. I would like to wade out waist deep at the beach and cast to the snook swimming by. My friend in Ft. Myers has 2 kayaks so that works too.

Here's a photo of an old guy (not as old as you and me) with a snook on at Ft. Myers beach about 11:00 AM in late April 2010. The splash at his left was the snook. It cut his 30# mono shock leader so he came back in to tie on a 40#. I could see the snook even from the beach.

My friend has beautiful S. FL shrubbery and trees. His mango tree is taller than yours but he won't let me plant any fig trees. All the leaves just fell off (blew off) my fig trees last week. Cold weather is for the birds. But you know that - you leave NJ as soon as it starts, don't you.

Paul

Thumbnail by pbyrley

Cool pic. Makes me want to wade into the ocean too!

Longboat Key, FL

We spent a total of two weeks (fourteen days and nights) in NJ these last two years. You don't want to buy a house in an "active adult community" do you?

Cold weather is coming here, too. At least at night the temperature drops to sixty. Most of the leaves have dropped from the figs, but we are loaded with new baby figs. Not as sweet as the mid-summer ones.

Our carambola is starting a second set of fruit -- the original set are still hanging.

Wonder of wonders I discovered that my atemoya had set ONE fruit. I was radically pruning it back, trying to tame it -- and, lo and behold, this fruit was hanging on an inner (hidden) branch, I certainly hope that it will ripen.

The bananas are finally off of the clump. Friends, neighbors, and a big empty container of mine -- got them all. The big. empty container is now chock full with a supply of dried bananas, waiting to be sliced onto Cheerios.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

Home grown potassium

Eat them -- and -- be well.

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

How long for my banana tree to bear? It's a Dwarf Cavendish, about 1 foot tall when I planted it (in Port St Lucie) in Feb, 2013.
Paul

Longboat Key, FL

I think two years. But what am I? A prognosticator? No..

Be well

(o_O)

Longboat Key, FL

Now I need advice -- and help.

It has been very wet -- and that might be the problem.

Anyhow, both of my bunches of bananas broke their pseudostems -- and they are clinging to the broken ends.

Should I just leave the bunches there or cut them off and hang them in my garage?

What is the best chance to get them to ripen?

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh well, the dwarf Cavendish died so I planted a full size Cavendish, a gift from my friend - it seems to like where it is. That's about a month's growth from a foot and a half when I planted it. I like the way it looks and have extra backyard room if it wants to add more.

Thumbnail by pbyrley
Longboat Key, FL

It will !!!!! Expand more, that is.

Be well

(o_O)

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Well Brad,
you are correct! The banana is enjoying my yard. Here's where it is now, less than a month after the above photo.. The heliconia seems to like it's location too. I now have 5 or 6 pups around the banana tree base. I read in some "learned article", that the pups with narrow leaves are the ones which will produce a fruitful female banana tree. Since I have both sprouting up, I will follow that advice when I want more trees.

Enjoy and catch a fish for me. I only caught 2 small snook last time out.

Thumbnail by pbyrley
Longboat Key, FL

Ugghh.

At my DDW's insistence I cut down all of the banana trees except for two pygmies.

But they won't die out. I now have a half-dozen pups flourishing in the now sunny patch. Boy, do I need foster parents for them.

Be well

(o_O)

Longboat Key, FL

It was a long wait -- but....................

First glimpse of fruit. I almost got some last year but the gardener mistook the red ribbons for "cut" instead of "save." Luckily they had pups.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.