Do you remember the song, "Yes, we have no bananas"?

Longboat Key, FL

It's not what it used to be.

We started eating at Legal when it was an adjunct to the fish market George's father Harry owned in Cambridge. That was about forty years ago, My, how it has grown!

The fish is still good, but the original paper plates are long gone. Now the plates are square -- and the food much more exotic. But we still stick to broiled scrod.

Be well

:)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, they do know how to cook seafood. I have had lobster and something blackened there, and both were excellent. I haven't flown through National Airport in Washington in a while, but one of the last times I did I stopped at the Legal Seafood in the airport and had a French White Bean salad which was outstanding -- no seafood involved. It is always hard to see these old restaurants that we knew years ago -- I am thinking of Brennan's in New Orleans, get famous and change, but at least they are still good.

Longboat Key, FL

We had breakfast at Brennan's the morning of the Super Bowl -- many years ago -- when the Chicago Bears (with the help of Refrigerator You-know-who) creamed the New England Patriots. I connect the two events, so I have no lost love for Brennan's. (But the food was excellent.)

Be well

: )

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Haven't been to Brennan's since it burned years ago. I hear it is still good, but I am rarely in New Orleans in the morning because I have a farm 85 miles away in Southern Mississippi and usually come in to New Orleans only during the day. I love the food there, but have many favorites, not just Brennan's.

Longboat Key, FL

I have two (food) loves in NO. Oysters and beignets. They are both the best (to me).

We have oysters down here -- but the only way they're great is what they call "broasted." They are steamed, in a large pot, with celery and onions.

Be well

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have so many food loves in New Orleans that I can't count them -- oysters are way up there. But there are so many more -- gumbo of various kinds, fried shrimp that aren't overbreaded or overcooked, red beans and rice and much more. Sigh.
And don't forget poboys which are made on the finest poboy bread in the world. When you bite into one, the crust flies all over your clothes, but you don't mind because it is so delicious. I have had good poboys elsewhere, but none can duplicate the bread used in New Orleans.

This message was edited Nov 13, 2008 6:36 PM

Longboat Key, FL

Now that you mention them, you're right.

That Super Bowl was only my second trip there. And we didn't have much time. We actually saw the effects of the Challenger explosion over the skies of Florida on our return the next day. It was on January 28, 1986. We were driving on the Interstate, and we noted people standing on the overpasses, staring into the sky. We pulled over and saw that white cloud that looked like bull's horns -- drifting through the blue sky.

Awesome!!!!

My first trip had been forty-odd years earlier -- while I was stationed at Biloxi. (But I must confess -- then I was looking for companionship, not food.)

Be well

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

How horrifying it must have been to see the Challenger explosion. That is the one that was photographed as it was launched, as I recall.
I return two New Orleans briefly about twice a year -- it is a city I truly love. It is hard for me to see it so devastated by Katrina. On the other hand it does improve a little each time I go there. At first it was hard even to buy groceries and get dinner there on the way to the farm. Now that is not a problem.

Longboat Key, FL

What do you farm in NM?

We vacationed in Santa Fe about fifteen years ago. It was in autumn and we got to see the hot-air balloons in flight. Spectacular.

Be well

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My farm is in Mississippi about 85 miles from New Orleans. I grow trees there -- which is a great crop because all you have to do is keep people from stealing them. I also have 1/2 of a pecan orchard -- lost 69 trees in Katrina. My husband is a physicist in New Mexico and is still working. I worker as a computer programmer but am now retired. I would like to spend more time at the farm, but DH gets lonely. Perhaps some day he will retire.
Anyhow I love New Mexico, too, and have seen the baloon festival several times. I love both New Mexico and the New Orleans - Mississippi area.

Longboat Key, FL

Face facts. Men do not like the prospect of retiring. It is like the brain -- don't use it and you'll lose it. Same thing with the bonds of marriage.. Hang in there.

My trees attract the squirrels. I keep a Hav-a-Hart trap. I release the captured ones three islands away.

Be well

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

FlyboyFL,
I'm curious if you are seeing ANY reduction in your squirrel population as you export them to the other islands. (Maybe those people are DG members and are exporting them back to you?)

Anyway, I tried the Hav-a Hart and successfully trapped 8 or 10 from my back yard and, as you, transported them away, although mine went to the county park with lots of oak and hickory trees. I never saw any reduction in the number of squirrels and my faithful furry friend still always let me know if one was in the back yard.
Paul

Longboat Key, FL

I think so -- a reduction, that is. We live at the end of a long cul-de-sac -- like a peninsula, surrounded by water. So, the little devils have to have an intent to come out to us. Actually, the trap is still set (one morning I even had a big, fat opossum squeezed into it).

I release them in a reserved public area, three island away.

So far, so good..

You are lucky to have a "fathful furry friend".

Be well

Longboat Key, FL

Sounds like one of the TV ladies' shows.

I didn't know she was pregnant.

Look what she delivered. I still can't tell how it happened.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

As you can see -- the proud mother is just doing fine.

(But where are the bananas?)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS(Zone 9a)

at the risk of showing how LITTLE I know about this plant/tree banana tree.. I have just gotta ask.. Is it possible to get REAL banana's from this tree?? I just thought that was the name of it, not that it actually would produce banana's... lol.. If so then YAY.. lol.. we just bought a new home last June and in the back yard down by the bayou right before the bulkhead is a banana tree.. The last owner even said its finally taking off, I guess it was growin very slow.. but last year it got pretty good size and had a good many leaves.. It died back during winter but is shooting new leaves out at this very moment.. I still cant believe that thing can produce banana's THE KIND YOU CAN EAT??? lol.. Oh IM gonna have to take a picture of of and post it so yall can tell me for sure thats what kind it is...

So should I buy some more to plant near it? and if so then how close?

Longboat Key, FL

~Road:

Well, I cannot vouch for yours, but the mother of this tree was loaded with fruit when this one was dug out next to her. And, if you follow this thread, you can see how fast this one has grown in less than a year. And you can see its babies at the base.

This is my first experience, but, as you can see above, many other DGers have warned about how fast it spreads. I don't think that you need any more of the same variety -- but, different varieties -- if you wish.

But, obviously, give then room!

Good luck -- and stand back.

Be well

Thanks so much for the reply.. I will read back over the thread again since it was very late last night and I could have been sleep reading. lol.. I think I am going to take a picture and post it, maybe then yall can tell me if it is a true banana tree.. Maybe mine needs something.. The base of it is nowhere as big as your tree. But like the last owner said its just now starting to grow.. I guess they had a hardtime getting it to grow. Maybe its not what they thought it was.. lol.. it now has lots of dried leaves that died over during the winter but now new growth is coming out the top..

Thanks ever so much for the reply.. :-)

Longboat Key, FL

I am going to have to buy a bigger lot.

Someone warned me about the tree spreading.

Right !!!!!

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

It seems to have a baby.

Longboat Key, FL

A baby?

It has a bunch of them. Three to start -- plus four more

Be well

This message was edited Apr 20, 2009 10:49 AM

Mulberry, FL

I just bought a ice cream banana off ebay a guy a little farther south the fruits supposed to taste like the name.

Longboat Key, FL

I am going to have to find adoptive parents for the little pups. They are leafing out -- quite vigorously!

Be well

Mulberry, FL

You don't know they name of this one what size bananas does if have? Some are planktions that you fry not big on those.

Longboat Key, FL

Dana~

I'll have to get a photo of the mother plant at my neighbor's. It's loaded.

Be well

Longboat Key, FL

Now I need help.

I want to dig out (and give for adoption) a couple of the pups.

Where do I start?

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Mulberry, FL

They way i do it is slide a shovel down on inside not to harm the big one and make a cut. You will have to cut threw the root take your time. I have bananas here that get about 20 ft you want a baby of these the bananas are good?

Longboat Key, FL

dana:

I just had a revelation.

There are sword suckers (which are best) and water suckers (which are adjacent to the main tree, but not exactly touching -- and not so good.)

See: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG040

Ugghh.

I just cut and gave away one of what I evidently have, so far, water suckers

Live and learn.

Now I don't know which one mine was, originally.

Be well

Mulberry, FL

I don't think it makes a difference does it?

Longboat Key, FL

That web site was pretty specific.

UUUGGGHHH

thats a great website flyboy.. Thanks for the link..

Longboat Key, FL

My pleasure

Be w ell

; )

Longboat Key, FL

Well -- we almost have bananas, today.

Maybe next week?

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

This is what the clump looks like -- after we've already stripped the babies a few months ago.

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Mulberry, FL

Looking good what kind are they? I have quite a few different ones here but they were all young when i got them next year they should produce. I have had these here for years there good for 4-6 stalks a year but they have been there 15 yrs or more

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Longboat Key, FL

Dana:

I don't know. Follow the thread -- I asked a friend for some bananas -- and he gave me the baby -- a year ago June.

He says that they are very delicious -- so there.

At least they'll have plenty of potassium..

(o_O)

Mulberry, FL

I remember when you first started this thought maybe you might have found the name :)

Longboat Key, FL

No -- all he told me was -- bananas

Be well

(o_O).

Mulberry, FL

Doesn't matter they look wonderful very nice stalk there anyone would be proud of those! Ponderosa now thats a lemon :)

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Longboat Key, FL

Uggghhh

THAT'S A LEMON !!!

Be well

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.