Captions - "It's a Bird's World !!!"

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

The phrase “A picture is worth a thousand words” has been around a long time. Often we personally take a photo that stimulates the thought process. A few years ago, I took some photos of Eastern Kingbird adults feeding their “children”. I couldn’t help but wonder as I looked at my photos … could we possibly draw a parallel between a day in the life of a bird and a day in the life of a human. Scientists have already shown parallels between human speech and the song of a bird, findings that may contain clues to human speech disorders. Thus, other behavioral similarities are certainly within the realm of possibility. When out in the bird’s world one can quickly observe startling similarities, from the survival of the fittest, to the masterful construction of a nest, to the care and nurturing reflected in the raising of their offspring.

Consequently, I thought it only fitting to add a caption to these photos from a human perspective. Or maybe, just maybe, from a bird’s perspective ???

I’ve started this thread hoping that others will join in from time to time and share their photo along with their perspective of a day in the bird world. Or, if you have a good photo, you might want to challenge DG members to add their caption to your photo. Anyway, this thread will start with a photo of a loving family of four (4) Eastern Kingbirds, two parents, two "children" ... followed by a series of captioned photos of a day in the life of the Eastern Kingbird.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Two minutes later ...........

Thumbnail by linthicum

a half-hour later .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

A few minutes later .......

Thumbnail by linthicum

Simultaneous response ........

Thumbnail by linthicum

Afternoon fun ??? .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

late afternoon .........

Thumbnail by linthicum

A familiar response .......

Thumbnail by linthicum

At the end of a long day ............

That's life !!!

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

Great job Linth! Beautiful pics too!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

LOL! This is a great thread..great pics and the captions have me roflmbo!! Thanks for the laughs!

Melbourne, FL

Very cute....but I have a feeling the mother bird ought to be the one asking for a "drink". Hope you keep these coming.

PERTH, Australia

Great new thread, Linth. My seconding dellrose in urging you to start one came about two minutes too late. I had just posted my response and voile, when I retruned to the forum, it was there. Now, how do you include the captions?

Orchard Park, NY

Very funny! Can't wait for the next installment!

Marlton, NJ

Maybe it would be a good idea if we could know how to make those bubbles for the captions. I thought I remembered seeing how to do it on the photos forum?

Stafford County, VA

Here's one.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

LOL! Great start to my morning, thanks!

Great one, Dave ....... thanks for helping to get the thread started. I assume a lot of photo-editing software includes the "talking balloons or bubbles". I use Photo Explosion Deluxe software from Nova Development Corporation.

Which software did you use, Dave ? I'll look around on the Internet to see what other options may be available.

Stafford County, VA

I know there are many photo editing packages out there that include it, and if you are good with photoshop, you can do it using the shape tool, but for most folks it is a lot quicker and easier to buy ediiting software that includes it.

I bought ACDSee for the strength of its browsing capabilities (some of my folders have a thousand or more images, and it brings them up with ease) and it also has a nice editing package that includes both the talking balloons and thinking bubbles.

Here is another one I did for last New Years. My first attempt at this sort of thing.

Dave

That's as good as they get ...... need say no more !!!

No hard fast rules .... talking balloons not always necessary.

As mentioned earlier, a picture is or can be worth a thousand words. When I first saw this image, thoughts of sadness or loneliness entered my mind. That coupled with the Sparrow being on the outside, or the wrong side of the fence, furthered my thought process.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I love this thread!

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

These are just getting better...thanks for entertaining us!

Nice one Janet ..... you should have a lot of them from Texas. It's a shame that we can't put music to them. But, I can hear him singing, anyway !

Hopefully, this one qualifies as a bird photo, with the Eagle in the image. If more support is needed, I was going to title it "Kill Deer" !!!

This message was edited Jun 2, 2008 3:36 PM

Thumbnail by linthicum
Croton-on-Hudson, NY(Zone 6b)

linthicum - Great photos and story line. I can't say more, but will share a photo that does not compare, but may bring a smile only to goose lovers - Sunday stroll.

Thumbnail by mygardens
Stafford County, VA

OK, Here's another from back in 2005, using one of your lines, Linth...
(I should explain... as soon as the female bluebird starts her next nest, she absolutely will not feed the fledglings from the previous nesting. That is totally the male's responsibility.)

Dave

This message was edited Jun 2, 2008 3:56 PM

Another good one, Dave ....... at what age does the infamous "Go ask your father" disappear ?

mygardens, nice photo. I've been trying to get a photo like that this year but the one's I took on Sunday, the goslings were already quite big. Anyway, I can see a caption that goes like this,

"Lady, you think you have it tough, try sextuplets !!!"

Stafford County, VA

It really doesn't disappear unless it is her last clutch of the season, in which case she will help feed them until they cut them off. They quit feeding them at about 45 days, which is 28 days out of the nestbox. He usually chases them away a month or so after that, again, except for the last clutch which often stays with them all winter. He did it sooner than that with this latest group. When we returned from Arizona, they were gone and I haven't seen them since. They seemed awfully young to survive on their own but they were obviously getting on his nerves. I wondered if something got them but I doubt anything could have caught all three.

I don't know how old he is but he must be at least 7 years old. They usually don't mate until two full years and he has been in our yard for the past 5 years. I don't know when he will be too old. I suppose when a younger male fights with him and drives him off. He hasn't slowed down much but he has developed a meaner disposition. They supposedly live to be 12 to 14.

I always wondered what Papa looked like from a nestling's perspective. Here is a "view from inside."

Dave

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

This is fun and Dave that last shot is way too funny!!

I can't do bubbles but thought I'd post these two shots I got after our rain yesterday eve. I managed to get the Male and Female Cardinal reflected in a pool of water and this is what I think they were thinking:

"wow...what a good looking fella"

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

"gee...she's prettier and skinnier than me"

Thumbnail by dellrose
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Those are really cool shots rose!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Nanny, the sun was setting behind the barn and I was surprised they turned out at all!

Stafford County, VA

Here you are, Rose

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

LOL...thanks Dave!!

Wilmar, AR(Zone 8a)

This is a great thread! Just love all the captions. We have some creative and imaginative folks here.

PERTH, Australia

What fun, Dave.

Hi, dellrose. Beautiful birds, the Cardinals and well done to have got their reflections as well.

Mygarden, the goose and goslings are gorgeous. Just look at the ?mother bird's proud posture (and with good reason)

Danvers, MA

SSSLUUUUUURRRP!

Thumbnail by Shan71
Danvers, MA

AAAAAAHHH!

Thumbnail by Shan71
Danvers, MA

"Somebody grab the other end of this and we can bring it back to our place."

Thumbnail by Shan71

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.