Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Bird Watching: Captions - "It's a Bird's World !!!", 1 by 2dCousinDave

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 2dCousinDave

In reply to: Captions - "It's a Bird's World !!!"

Forum: Bird Watching

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Captions - "It's a Bird's World !!!"
2dCousinDave wrote:
It really doesn't disappear unless it is her last clutch of the season, in which case she will help feed them until they cut them off. They quit feeding them at about 45 days, which is 28 days out of the nestbox. He usually chases them away a month or so after that, again, except for the last clutch which often stays with them all winter. He did it sooner than that with this latest group. When we returned from Arizona, they were gone and I haven't seen them since. They seemed awfully young to survive on their own but they were obviously getting on his nerves. I wondered if something got them but I doubt anything could have caught all three.

I don't know how old he is but he must be at least 7 years old. They usually don't mate until two full years and he has been in our yard for the past 5 years. I don't know when he will be too old. I suppose when a younger male fights with him and drives him off. He hasn't slowed down much but he has developed a meaner disposition. They supposedly live to be 12 to 14.

I always wondered what Papa looked like from a nestling's perspective. Here is a "view from inside."

Dave