Montana Gardeners-Let's Thread

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Moi aussi/me too with clay. I think I should take up pottery ^_^

Missoula, MT(Zone 4b)

We had a hard frost here in Missoula last night. Half the garden looks like cooked spinach. We ran a little heater in the hoop house, though, and the tomatoes and peppers in there all survived. Winter storm watch for tomorrow, but it's raining right now, so there's still hope....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I hear ya jayne_a. Deep freeze here last night and again tonight. My dahlias are done like dinner. My toms made it through just fine in the greenhouse though. This is the beginning of the time of the cold and the dark for me. I will sacrifice myself and try to lasso it and keep it up here for awhile but no guarantees. Gotta luv those fall hardys though; phlox, mums, snaps, roses don't seem to care.

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

We had our first frost of the year last night and it wipe out a lot but not all. The container plants close to the house are doing well. My Gazanias are also doing well. It will be in the 20s at night for the rest of the week plus lots of snow and I still have bulbs to plant!

Thumbnail by NorthernSeasons
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Me too Northernseasons. LOL I'm gonna be out there planting in a parka. brrrrrrrr

smalltown, IL

Helllo;
I was wondering if any of you would like to meet for coffee while I am in MT in early Aug..
I look forward to seeing as much of MT as I can..
Thanks

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Chinook, I'd be happy to get together if I'm here in early Aug.

You will get more replies if you start a new thread to ask around. This one is old, and not many people are watching it.

Julie

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

Wow! It's hard to believe that I've been gone from DG for a year. So much has happened. I spent my summer working for Cashman Nursery in Bozeman which I absolutely loved. I have a little business where I lease garden space to folks out at Rock Creek Farm and, as a result, have a wonderful vegetable garden of 400+ sq ft this summer. Here's my list: popcorn; summer squash, tomatoes, brussels sprouts, broccoli, egglant, ornamental gourds, okra, watermelon, beans, onions, beets, spinach, cucumbers, radishes, thyme, dill, and majoram. The photo is from the end of July so things are a whole lot bigger now. What have you been doing and growing this summer?

Dee from B

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow, Dee. I am not from Montana but I like the looks of your garden. I didn't plant one this year and miss it, though I did keep a lot of herbs going in pots and among my flowers. Hope to get back to veggies next year! In the meanwhile I have been a staunch patron of the local farmers' market and have had some really wonderful veggies in spite of my failure to grow my own.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

So glad you're back and with a bountiful harvest to boot! I'm just mucking about growin toms, greens and herbs and having way too much fun. Please dont't stay away so long again!

Missoula, MT(Zone 4b)

Dee, why are there tree trunks in your garden?

Jayne

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

Well, the wooden posts are from a very, old hay barn that has long since been dismantled. The posts line the perimeter of the garden upon which deer fencing has been wrapped around. The fencing has managed to keep everything out but the baby rabbits which hit the garden hard at the beginning of the summer. Thanks for the question. Do you have any photos to share? I'd love to see what others have done this summer or any summer, for that matter.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hello neighbors I just found this one again. I love the veggies. Dee you are brave to grow corn. I gave up on it years ago. Right now I am feasting on tomatoes. My favorite is still 'sweet 100's'. My garden only has two bushes planted and my DW beats me up in the am and I only get 10 to 20 a day. The big ones are really good too. We have cukes, squash, pumpkin, and TONS of eggplant. We eat it in soups, as snacks grilled, fried in corn meal, parmisian, soaked in pickle juice and what ever is left in the fridge.
What are you soon to harvest?
I went out in my garden this morning early to photo here is one. I like the early morning shadows.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

Soferdig--What a fabulous photo! The morning light does the yard credit. As for you veggies, great job on the eggplant. This is my first year growing it and I have only one eggplant fruit so far. Most of my garden got hit by a cold night last week. The corn is all but gone. Pretty much all that remains is the broccoli, brussels sprouts and what I had under row cover. I got a ton of squash & broccoli this year but I'm still waiting on the brussels sprouts. Anybody else out there have something to share on their gardens or landscaping?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Quoting:
and my DW beats me up in the am and I only get 10 to 20 a day.

Sofer, does she really? I'm shocked. Maybe you could pelt her with tomatoes in self-defense.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

LOL!

yeah, when you been beat up it is real hard to lift those heavy tomatoes, I reckon.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Maybe Sofer needs a tomato gun.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Sofer, you're so inventive, I bet you could come up with a really fine tomato flinger.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

My DW is an angel and she works secretly when I am not looking. I have been sun drying my tomatoes the last couple of weeks so I have some yummys later after the glut of tomatoes now. Been enjoying the mass garden haul. Now what to do with all the eggplant and zuccini. Time to bake and enjoy.
I could never have a tomatoe fight with my Karen she isn't too good at her aim and I wouldn't get to catch them with my mouth.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

LOL, do your pooches catch them?
Thank God for angels.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes they would. And enjoy each one. Though they know not to harvest them off the plant.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

well I am going to bring up the Montana dilema today and yesterday. SNOW! I have been sledding and pulling hoses, machines, trying to get the snow tires up from down below. All kinds of fun. Now the decision is do I leave on my lawn mower or put on the snow blower?

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Hmmm. I suggest taking the bag off the lawnmower and opening the side vent. This way the lawnmower will both mow the lawn and throw snow.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

YES I LOVE THAT IDEA! I am going mow-blowing in the yard today.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Mow-blowing sounds like the kind of thing one might do to boogie-woogie music.
Let us know how it works, Sofer.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This message was edited Oct 12, 2009 7:47 PM

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

After 3 days of 10s & 20s, not to mention snow; it will nice to get our fall back. In Bozeman, it will be in the high 40s and low 50s. Yippee! I can't wait! I still have daffodils to plant and 2 gardens to prepare for spring.

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

Oh, and apples to peel and can, too. It's going to be a busy week.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Me too, NS. Daffodils and itty bitty irises. And allium.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Another beautiful picture, NorthSeasons. I envy your iris bounty.

I, too, have irises and alliums and daffodils to plant. But they will keep until I return from Mississippi.

Shepherd, MT

I am in Shepherd snowing alittle here today but the wind had stopped blowing, we did not have a summer at all this year, Iam not ready for winter again it just seemed like we got over the last one.

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

Mainecoon--Welcome to the Montana Thread. Are you up by the Hi-Line? It's suppose to be in the low 60s here in Bozeman by the weekend. The weather is so weird anymore. What about your weather? Is it warming up this weekend?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Yoyo weather. We seem to have it all year now. A geologist of my acquaintance thinks we're heading into the next glacial age. Combine that with global warming, and the result is anyone's guess.

Shepherd, MT

It is pretty cool here, it stopped snowing but feels like snow again, really damp they are calling for snow tonight and tomorrow then 58 by the weekend, but you know the weather it changes so much here, It would be nice if it stayed nice all winter since we had about 9 months of it last winter.

They say it suppose to be one of those El nino or El mino yr or what ever that is called and they are saying heavy snows for Montana and Wyoming,, I hope they are wrong.

Went to Wyoming over the weekend and it was bad driving all the way to where I was going, then the sun came out down there on the way back I had clear roads untill i hit the Montana border then it was nasty again Go figure

You know are glaciers are melting Yellowstone geysers that have been unactive for years are now coming back to life something is going on.

Thank You for Welcome glad to be part

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Climate change has happened many times and there is not much we can do but do our own personal choices for each individual to do their part. It over here in NW Montana was a perfect year. Cool springs, lots of rain, lots of sun, and early start to winter. I suspect we will have some warm again before November. We cooked today with a high of 45 F. Tomorrow snow/rain I like the precipitation any way we can get it. My garden thrived this year with the beautiful weather.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

So happy birthday NorthernSeasons!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy B-day NorthernSeasons ^_^

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Hey, there's a birthday person in Bozeperson! Clink, clink! Happy day, NS.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

May your road be smooth and filled with booth (ze), this happy day of life for you.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Happy Birthday, Northern Seasons!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.