Chit Chat... Everyone welcome. Part 22

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Ok, nite, nite. Sweet Dreams. : )

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Lucy, I did get a Maltese Cross at the roundup! I got it planted in a nice sunny spot in my red-themed hummingbird garden. I think it will do well there. It has some buds on it, so I should get to see it flower soon.

Jeremy

Saint Petersburg, FL

Help! I am looking for something that will actually stop all the tree-and bush stumps I had to cut down in my new garden from regrowing! The new garden was long neglected and full of invasives, half-dead citrus etcc..is there a product that can be painted on the stumps/twigs that will effectively stop that tenacious regrowth?

Hi, Monschi. Usually you must apply the tree killer stuff immediately after you cut the tree. The vascular system is still functioning for a while and takes the systemic into the roots and stump and stops most sprouts.

I've experimented with placing a black tarp (but other colors may do) or thick piece of black plastic over tree stumps and securing the edges of the material on all sides of the stump. My thought is that if light can't reach the suckers (figuratively & literally - LOL) they won't sprout or won't live if they do sprout. Also, the heat captured under the plastic will kill any sprouts and possibly speed decay of the stump. I did this at a garden where I was hired to clean up and haven't had a chance to go back and check on the results. The stump was from a camphor tree that was in a woody/shrubby area where the tarp didn't show. The cover would probably need to stay on the stump for a few months to allow the stump to start to decay and the roots to die. It may be another matter to have the tarp showing in your garden, unless you can find some clever way to make it attractive.

Jeremy

Saint Petersburg, FL

Thanks, Jeremy, I think I can work with that. The stumps are usually behind my new & flourishing plantings and the black plastic won't be visible except maybe as a bit of intriguing backdrop...

Make it circular and you can call it your "Black Hole" garden at the center of your garden galaxy. LOL

Jeremy

Or just cover it with mulch for more heat retention.

Great idea, Dutchlady, for hiding it, but the mulch might actually make the area under the plastic cooler (mulch works that way when used around plants to conserve moisture and keep the soil surface cooler). The black plastic exposed to sun will probably cook up to a high temperature beneath the plastic.

Let me know if it works, Monschi. In my travels, I will try to drop in on the yard where I tried the plastic cover over the camphor tree about a year ago to see what has happened. There was a fairly large camphor tree in my yard when I bought my property that I sawed down. It comes back with sprouts no matter what I do. I even put a metal circular frame around it and tried to burn it out with a roaring hot fire. Still, the sprouts return. It should be a good candidate for a tarp cover to see if that will work to kill the sprouts. Similarly, I had another camphor tree near my irrigation well. I cut that one down to build a pump house/potting shed over the area where the camphor tree was growing. I used pegboard for the floor in the pump house (not a good idea because masonite doesn't really hold up well when wet). The camphor tree sprouts actually managed to shoot up through the 1/4 inch wide holes in the pegboard! They did finally die after I cut them off, so total darkness seems to be the trick to kill tree sprouts.

Jeremy

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks sunshine I will get a smaller pot for it.

Linda no problem will send some.

I never knew crotons flowered either .

Thanks Elaine I will play around with them a bit and see what happens.

Monschi if you can get them bang copper nails in all the way around into the trunk bit any stumps. Also on ebay put stump killer in a search and there are several for sale.

Well the plants are all singing and cheering tonight it is our turn for the sprinklers. Nice not to be carrying dozens of loads in watering cans. lol, even the weeds were wilting earlier in the heat.

Well the epi didn't quite make fully open today.

Thumbnail by fleurone
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

The whole thing

Thumbnail by fleurone
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Brugs today

Thumbnail by fleurone
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Another
Right better go walk the dogs :)

Thumbnail by fleurone

That Epi is lovely!!!!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

o.k. walkies over ...

No idea which one it is Rene, it was the first plant I bought here , just one rooted one stalk and it flowered . Will try and get a piece off it for you .
I may have some, I have so many cuttings or bits that come off different ones and get put in the nearest pot/tree whatever , then I never remember what they are. So now I have to wait until they flower.
I have several epi's hanging under the citrus trees, one which is coming into bud and I think it may be the same one.

Thumbnail by fleurone

Thanks, I don't have to have aname for everything, I have lots of noids!!! I can hang it with my orchids! Lorine

Linda, don't forget Elaines plant. : )

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Fleur tks on the hoya but why don't you wait till it fills your pot up. My angel wing begonia is really putting on new growth. I am loving it.

That Brug is beautiful. Do you know which one it is. I might like to have one of them. I have tequila sunrise if that is what it is. i bet it smells heavenly in the evenings.

I have them potted and setting beside the van.

Also, Linda, does the (deer stuff) truck drop off in the morning, or in the afternoon?

Lucy my best guess would be afternoon. We won't leave until around 10:00 will let you know if it comes before then. If you don't hear from me you will know it hasn't come.

Oh, ok. I hope you have a great trip, and give Elaine a hug for me. : )

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Great photos!!!
Hoya carnosa "Krimson Queen". I am not sure about the darker one, they both are in the same pot.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw

Those are very pretty, Sunshinesw. : )
~Lucy

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Lifesaver.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw

I will Lucy!!

Pretty Hoya Sunshine interesting livesaver.

Alva, FL(Zone 9b)

Sunshine, that lifesaver is really something!!!!! Very unusual. A belated welcome to the club. You'll find a wealth of info here and No question is considered DUMB, so just ask away. Billie

Off to bed Lucy I will probably be on line while i am at Elaines. i am taking my computer.

OK, sleep well, and drive safe. : )

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Morning all

o.k. Linda , thanks on the brugs they do smell heavenly I am surprised no one has tried bottling the scent as a perfume yet. I love it. My favourite perfume is Flower by Kenzo hopefully I will be getting restocked on H's way back from Italy this month ( gonna keep hinting anyway !).I think it is Charles Grimaldi the only other one I bought at the same time was Dr Suess. I have a couple of rooted cuttings, you can have . Going to have to take more as well, MIL seems to like giving them away to any friends that call!.
Safe trip.

Sunshine thanks for the picture now I know what to look forward to seeing one day :)
That life saver is amazing. I have the yellow stapelia and the red Huernia. The yellow had flowered last year but the red hasn't yet

Thumbnail by fleurone
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Close up of it

Thumbnail by fleurone
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Rene this was the red epi last year

Thumbnail by fleurone

Sure is pretty!!!

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

American beauty berry flowers

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

I thought this is a cutiest! I am going to keep it small, make it look like a Bonsai.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Trumpet vine I started from seeds.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw

Do the Huernia have the rotten meat smell that the Stapelia have? I'm not at all familiar with the Huernia genus, but the Lifesaver Plant is very interesting.

Jeremy

Sunshinesw, that looks like a Pandora vine. They grow fast , very pretty.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I don't know Jeremy my huernia hasn't flowered yet.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/61056/

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Rene, I thought it was pink trumpet. Thank you!
Jeremy, lifesaver does not have the rotton meat smell.

Sunshine I agree with rene I think that is a pandora vine. Looks like minature trumpet doesn't it.

Rene we are in Gainsville will be leaving about noon tomorrow headed on to Macon. Had a non eventful trip but a stressful visit with MIL. Looking fwd to going on up to Elaines.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.