What's Blooming Outside Your Door, Part 2

Everett, WA(Zone 7b)

Just kidding, that's my neighbor's yard... with all the creeping BC and bindweed... it is slowly trickling into my yard, so I have pulled out the roundup to protect my babies. Here is my new DG bed from all the prize possessions from the last swap. I didn't plan it at all, but I tried to give them lots of care while planting.

Thumbnail by catgal77
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That looks real nice. Like the big rocks.

Everett, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks! Its a total mish-mash of plants, no rhyme or reason... just my learning experience! We dismantled a pond that the former owners had put in, so reused all the big rocks as raised garden bed walls! :) That worked out well!

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

That vinca patch is the only little patch of it around that I have and I rather loathe vinca, and all those other plants that are so common they make me barf. English Laurel, Pieris, tall doug firs with limbs at 80 feet off the ground, Photinia hedges to name a few.

Sorry about the neighbors lawn encroaching, but in my neighbor hood the evil one is dandelions, with Ranunculus, lambs ear, and a few other nasties in my lawn. See, I live adjacent to the ex-mayor who was also quite proud to have the last horse in MLT. Well, he also maintains the biggest weedpatch in MLT with just over 2 acres of grass which gets cut 2-4 times a summer. So he helps the giant dandelions in his yard to get their seeds into our yards, and I have a dandelion problem that is unstoppable. And I am not talking about 10 or 20 new a year, more like 200-300 new a year.

I will not use any herbicide or pesticide on my property, so it is me, and grandpas weeder out there doing justice to those darn weeds.

Snohomish, WA

Try vinegar Rob! You have seen the vast feild of dandis at my place so I understand. I hate lawn! I wish I could afford to cover the whole place! Slowly doing that though!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

what?! Stop the presses! A man who hates lawn????? wow!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL I thought that was why Men loved the lawns so much, so they could ride around on their big riding mowers, with the bev. cups, while the DWs did all the real work.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Boy, am I ever slow - I had read Gordon's post, but didn't pick up on the impact of it! Given the choice, my DH would have nothing but lawn, with rhodies and azaleas here and there . . . right up next to the house. When I first rototilled my center garden, he was drooling over a potential putting green. NOT!!!! However, he wouldn't have mowed it . . . fortunately for him (and me), I'm the one that likes all the yard stuff, even the mowing. (And he's always been in awe of my gardens, I'll give him that - he's just eternally grateful he doesn't have to do anything about them!).

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

All I get from my DH is, "YOU ARE CERTADING A MONSTER, AND YOU HAVE NO TIME TO TAKE CARE OF IT"
What does he know LOL I'm am giving him less lawn to mow, he hates that, wants a riding mower, not he's not a good driver, he'll run over my babies, now thats not good.
^_^

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Good morning! It's FINALLY spring around here. I think this is the latest it's ever been for my plants to finally start blooming. Here's a Red-tipped Photinia.
Just popped in to show you that I'm still alive here, haven't frozen to death yet. Did wake up to ice on the hay field again and now have to go out and switch over to another field.
BBL
Susan

Thumbnail by gardener105
Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

Lawn? All men like lawns? Yawn!
Yeah right. All men drink beer too, I bet.
All men can't cook.

Cut it out!

If I could eradicate my lawn I would. But my wife wants to keep it.

I would much rather have trees, shrubs and posies around my house. this lawn thing makes little sense to me.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

It's not all in what you are, it's in who you are. Says the wise old lady.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

oakleaf tiarella sure is pretty today!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Hosta unknown name with dead nettle.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Unknown hosta again with lamium, "red nancy". Looks more like pink to me..

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This is so pretty, but I did not tag it when I planted it. Does not
photograph well being white with a (dirty) white fence behind it. Will need to add a splash of color behind this one. If anyone can identify this one..I would love to know what it is. I promise I will tag it... :)

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Dodecatheon meadia 'alba'! I've been wanting one forever and just got one at Dragonfly. That is beautiful. I clearly need to move my tiarella to a spot with more sun. Yours is beautiful.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

katie..yep that's it or shooting star. They sure are very pretty & delicate.Have a few more coming up. Great Plant so far!
Thanks! Going to make the plant marker now & take it out right away...!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I didn't realize how tall it would get. That's awesome. I can hardly wait until I have a few more . . .

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Plant is marked.Came back in and saw your comments on the height. Well, went back out to measure..from the root base to the top is 17" . In the norm from what I could research. Is it early summer? What happened to spring?? Now I will need to find the purple & pink ones...

Botanical Name : Dodecatheon meadia

Common Name : Shooting Star

Color : White, pink, purple

Height : 10-18" tall

Bloom Time : Early summer

Sun/Shade : Partial to full shade

Zones : 4-8

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes, somehow I missed that. Mine is still small. I have the white one, will keep looking for pink and purple myself!! and then I just need to keep them safe from the slugs . . . I grow them pretty big out here.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

The Dodecathion is a superb plant - I prefer the white to the lavender shades, but all are pretty in habit. My lavender ones were reliably in the 12" range. The white Dodes are not readily available, so grab them when you see them..

Regarding the "lawn thing" - it's just another perspective.
I have about an acre of it. I has served two purposes well:
1. a place for children to play without fear of "ruining" it.
2. a vegetative crop to harvest for my compost bins.

As far as cutting the lawn is concerned, it is a good full-body workout, and a zen to the monotony of walking. It takes about an hour and a half, using a standard mower.
The riding mower was faster and lots of fun - especially at the higher speeds. But then, I enjoy operating backhoes, dozers and large machines.
I do chip away at the existing green carpet to enlarge the beds, but, I do not foresee living without a lawn, mainly for the compost building aspect. I am on a well - so no worries there; watering is done June - September. It also provides a visual balance to the borders & the orchard.
If I was on a small lot, I too, would opt for no lawn, given the choice for land usage.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I like some grass. It's a nice foil to the woodland and gives the dogs a place to run. My goal is to get the borders definable, so that mowing is straightforward and easy.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Analog Dog as I gaze between my legs I see that "All men do not like lawns" I have reduced the lawns that were existing to a stamp on the neighborhood. And I plan on lawn to be mostly rock and mosaic.

Just checking in and have too many photos and posts to keep up with! great plants, great photos, interesting posts.
Have to get me one of those Medusa rhodies, though! that is the perfect color and flower shape and it really looks almost tropical!! I do love it. I love rhodies.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Found myself in the flower bed outside the front door today. Sitting under my Japanese maple with a whole new view of my front yard & neighborhood & surrounding mountains. Thought this angle was great plus I had a bit of shade ...

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Came with the house..(builders landscape) pretty one however

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Hiding out under my japanese maple.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Snohomish, WA

Here is my first Jack-in-the-Pulpit up.

Thumbnail by NWGordon
Snohomish, WA

Nice neighborhood Bea! I love all the tulips!

Here's my pride and joy!!

Snohomish, WA

Forgot the pic! That's how you can tell it's time to hit the hay!!

Thumbnail by NWGordon
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Nice..how big will that get?

Snohomish, WA

Oh about 6-7' wide and about 4' tall. Maybe bigger this year, I hope! My mil's is huge compared to mine.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Beahive, That picture-white picket fence with tulips is beautiful. Should be on a postcard or poster.

Snohomish, WA

I agree! Makes me wat to move! But I need a 30' truck just for plants!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

2000 new red wrigglers ... They were set free last night! It was pretty gross..They somehow escaped the canvas bag that was used for shipping. Worms everywhere! I would have taken a picture..but yuck! I did not count them all... I wonder if this Uncle Jim character actually counts them before shipping. I think it would be funny to call their customer service dept and say I was short 20 or so... :)

Thumbnail by BeaHive
(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

roflmao! Bea thats how I think :o) LOL!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

rofl! Oh, if you do call, you've got to tell us all what they said.

Seriously, they probably do it by weight. They weighed 2000 worms and now weigh scoopfuls of worms... So, I suppose if you got dieting worms, you might've gotten more...

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I want to know too. LOL

Susy, thank you for the plants, but can you give me the name again, I know its a Pulmonaria but which one? Can't remember LOL

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Purple Haze. I found it at a place that sells Hostas down in Oregon last summer, I've never seen that one anywhere else. It's probably an older one, but I like it. :)

Oh, the columbine you gave me is just about to open her first bloom. She's planted right next to the Pulmonaria, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.