Green Taro Issues

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I posted a question over on the Garden Pest Forum about problems I'm having with my Green Taro. Then I thought possibly this would be a good place to ask since house plant people always have to deal with this issue.
I ordered some Green Taro to put outside by my pond. It's too cold in my Zone for them to go out yet so I have been keeping them inside with my house plants. They are potted and sitting in a pan of water. They seem to be growing like crazy the one stalk is 3ft and I have already moved them into bigger pots. But they are not healthy. The leaves have a whitish look kind of like they were powdered but they do not feel powdery.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Having house plants I am familiar with some of the pests like spider mites and the such but I can't find any kind of bug or the telltale white webs. Am I missing something?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sure could use some suggestions.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

The first leaf picture looks healthy enough to me, no signs of bugs or other problems. You are keeping them inside which means they could acquire a coating of house dust, which could make them powdery-looking. Also, some varieties of Colocasia (taro) have shiny leaves, but others have leaves with a matte finish, which is what yours look like. It makes them look soft or powdery when they actually aren't.

The other pictures look like signs of too dry air (typical for indoors, especially in winter). The cure is getting them out into higher humidity.

LariAnn
Aroidia Research

This message was edited Apr 10, 2008 9:33 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks LariAnn, These are my first Taro and I wasn't sure if it was a pest problem that I was missing or an environment issue. I also wasn't sure if the look of the leaf was a natural look or a symptom that I was missing. They are sitting in a pan of water in front of a sliding glass door that gets morning sun. My house is very dry and I will start misting them right away.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Go to the Aroid forum, lots of experts there!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.