Combinations !!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Stunning! You are lucky!

Louisville, KY

thanks fellas. It is quite a gift. The arbor guy said it's at least 100 yrs old, which I believe because we have an iron fence out front that old.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Excellent suggestions Soulja! I'll head to Home Depot this weekend for chicken wire, a staple gun and bricks. I love your idea and I hope that I'll have success growing mine in this similar fashion. Stand back because the "BANG THEM" method on containers sounds like fun!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Shirley let us know how that goes! You'll be my guinea pig, lol

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

"BANG THEM" method..oooooo...I like that...that tree is awesome and love seeing your clematis climbing them!!..Jeanne

Those containers better watch out because here I come with a hammer. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jeanne: Do you remove the bottoms of containers in the same "BANG THEM" method, or do you do something different?

rob: I don't mind being a guinea pig, as long as I don't smell like one! PPPPPEW! :~0

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

LOL!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

No..I don't use a Hammer..or bang 'em...I plant in a custom-sized hole with my method...Jeanne

Got it. Thanks!

Louisville, KY

* Soulja is not responsible for irreparable damage to pots, hammers or hands.
(but will take credit for cleverly presented Clematis Combinations).
The Bash 'em method is tested but not approved yet by the Pot Bashers Club of America. In fact your initiation is to post photos of your progress, then you're in like Flynn. Sign the waiver & Bash away!

Good Luck!

Thumbnail by Soulja
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Soulja..LOL...how pretty

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

LOL Soulja! I think I'm joining the club this weekend!

I love your humor Soulja. Is that "Violet Charm" that you're showing us? She's a beauty!

Louisville, KY

yep, Violet Charm is just incredible right now.
Huge flowers. i never knew they get so big!

Thumbnail by Soulja

It's a perfect picture of "Violet Charm".

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I've got to post a pic of mine..the imposter to figure out what I am growing..LOL...I'm so confused as to what I have...Jeanne

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thought that I'd bump this thread hoping for more!

Here's Negritianka with rose Portlandia.

Thumbnail by doss

Beautiful combo! Love purple & pink together!!

Louisville, KY

magazine worthy, that one! nice doss. really lovely.
got a few combos brewing but not quite ready to post yet.
Combinations are definitely on my mind always though.
keep those comin'.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

hydrangea seemanii and etoile rose. Etoile rose is only in it's second year but I think that it's going to be a lovely combo

Thumbnail by doss

I love it, doss! What a charming combination!

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

doss, I love your pink and purple combo. But I especially love the hydrangea and etoile rose. It's going to be a knockout!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Doss...those are gorgeous..Love your combos...Jeanne

Louisville, KY

Vanso Blue light + Venosa Violacea

Thumbnail by Soulja
Louisville, KY

Tangutica + Roguchi

Thumbnail by Soulja
Louisville, KY

another

Thumbnail by Soulja
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Very nice Soulja!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Nice combos Soulja. I grow my rooguchi as a ground cover.

Louisville, KY

really! any pictures doss? that would be interesting to see.

i didn't know if the Tangutica would bloom at the same time with Roguchi or not, I knew it comes later but they are overlapping somewhat with the Tangutica opening just today.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Rooguchi grows with Mrs. Robert Brydon which is an excellent groundcover. I'll try to get a photo of them tomorrow. In the meantime, here is a photo of iceberg rose plus niobe.

Thumbnail by doss
Louisville, KY

beeeeeautiful! I just was reading about how difficult it is to pair Niobe with other flowers for striking combinations because of the lack of value contrast with foliage & flower. You've done a nice job with our reddest Clematis & those beautiful white roses there. outstanding.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Niobe is hard I'd have to say. The dark flowers sort of fade into the greenery unless the sun is on them but this works. Iceberg is a huge rose though with very stiff canes. It's not easily managed I'm afraid but it's certainly pretty.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Doss and Soulja, amazing combos! I especially like the Niobe and Iceberg, and the one in Soulja's last pic. Wish I had room in my containers for combos like these.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Gorgeous Combos!!..I love your Rose with "Rooguchi"!!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Has anyone had lucky taking cuttings of clematis? I have always layer them but want to try cuttings. Maybe some rooting compound?
Teresa

Louisville, KY

I'm doing my first cuttings too Teresa. I'd love to know the best way. So far I've learned heat & humidity is key. (Not hard here now in Kentucky!!!) I have mine in tiny starter pots, pro-mix and keep 'em moist, not sopping wet, covered and well lit. My book says it takes 6 - 8 weeks to root and is most successful with new green growth as opposed to woody stems. good luck and lets compare notes along the way. I would love to get a dozen plants for each one I buy, eh?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have mine in water and root hormone. I have Pro-mix so if your roots first I will try more that way. I have 3 maybe we could trade cuttings if we have success!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Teresa in KY

Delaware, OH

perrins pride with herbaceous clematis alpina albaflora.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I love the dark purple and the white bell flowers niobe. Nice combination.

Delaware, OH

this is clematis sugar candy growing through a scotch pine. when i think of combinations, the support the clematis is growing on if it is a living support, makes a different kind of combination. hard to beat roses and clematis however, but the pine is not fussy and patiently awaits the blooming season ! sugar candy is another one of the 8 inch across big ones.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.