Today's Weather in Your Garden - 16

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

With WC it's 32. The wind is too fierce for me so I'll just watch as they install the new master bedroom bay window, replacing an older one that leaked too much air. Here's our carpenter, George, at the vacancy though the new window is in now. This was taken earlier today, obviously.

Thumbnail by pirl
South Hamilton, MA

High winds. Good day for moving leaf piles down a hill (using a tarp). Bad day for making new piles. Leaves won't stay there.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Was nice and sunny and pushing 50 degrees, thought maybe I could get some more oak leaves removed, never mind that wind just blows them and me all over the yard. Dropped to 47 now but the wind still blows.

I found the same thing when I was out there. Looks great from inside but it's too hard for me to work in that wind.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Way too windy to do anything. Tomorrow!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

It's a good day to chase your trash can down the street!

Some neighbors are best left un-chased.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

and some are too chaste!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Strange as we ended up having no big wind today, so I worked outside all day. I got the rest of the horrible old fence and compost bins pulled our and put in the truck and DH whisked them off to the dump with a lot of old rusted metal stakes. I continued doing a bunch of selective pruning of the naturalized edges of our property. Tomorrow we will rototill the veggie bed and the new bed in the front and widen a few others. Patti

This message was edited Apr 2, 2008 7:13 PM

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

It's 45 now and the wind seems to be diminishing. I just went out o check on the daffodils and even though they aren't blooming yet, there are buds. Wandered around my favorite farm store/nursery/greenhouse drooling over the perennials and few annuals they have available. Decided to buy a nice succulent for the collection and (horrors!) didn't get the orchid that jumped into my cart.

Those orchids know just when to misbehave. God bless them.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Temp 44.2°, Wind WNW 6.8 mph, Wchill 38.4°. ☺

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

WC - I'm very honored to have that lovely shot!!

Candyce - I'm getting so excited to know that you have some little guys springing up in your yard. It's getting pretty warm in the afternoons here, but the mornings are still cool and nice. Yesterday and today we had very heavy rain here. Bill from the caladium co-op said to water the caladium bulbs very sparingly until the pop up, but both days they got flooded.....uh oh. I hope they don't get smooshy. Amazingly though, water was flowing and standing one minute and 10 minutes later it had soaked in.

I'm so happy for all of you who are able to get out and enjoy the spring bulbs. It's about time you guys got a break!! Enjoy!!

The sky is supposed to be clear tonight which means those temps will drop like a rock in a pond. I think our low will be somewhere around 20. Keep thinking the happy thoughts for sunshine and warm weather.

South Hamilton, MA

Oh lovely wind, just the thing for messing up leaf piles. Quieter tomorrow? But I bet colder.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

54 for a high here, with sun, then clouds later. Only 25 now.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We are due for sun, calm and a high of 57. Time to plant the anemones.
Jo Ann

25 and sunny, but no wind. Hope it warms up fast!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

It's 34 and very sunny but the w/c is making it drop to 26. Yesterday was worse, winds were gusting to over 50 mph here. I've been sick with swollen glands and ear infections so I didn't go out, those winds would of brought me to tears I fear.

Feel better, Celeste!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Victor, got some antibiotics so im on the mend.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Sunny and the howling wind has returned to normal gentle breezes. Cold, still in the low 20s but should get past 50 by this afternoon. More rain tomorrow and Saturday.

Thomaston, CT

Sorry you've been sick, Pixie---get better for snow melt time! My stepson is working at the new Cabelas in Scarborough, so he calls frequently with what he's doing, & what the weather is doing--but I know it's milder by the coast! It's sunny now, cold, but I'm headed out to rake before tomorrow's rainy day----I thought yesterday's wind would have blown all my leaves away----haha.

52 and getting cloudy now. Got lots done today. Back is killing me!! Planted 15 Geranium 'Rozanne' and most of the Fairweather order. Did lots more cleaning up, cutting back and cutting down. Supposed to rain tomorrow. The deer really did a number on the arborvitae. I decided to cut them down.

May just as well ring the dinner bell for the deer when you have arborvitae, victor! We saw that the skunks or opossums are digging in the yard, too. I was able to get some clean up done in one of the gardens, too. Still not much growing in the woods except the skunk cabbage.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

54, gorgeous and sunny. Outside most of the day, lots of raking done. My crocus were blooming like crazy today, have buds opening on primrose, and daffodil and hyacinth buds popping up.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Victor, did you photograph the arborvitae before you cut them? What will you be replacing them with? Sorry to hear about your back.

Sorry to hear about Celeste's ear infection. OW!! Those hurt so bad.

It's cold and windy here. I went out to photograph the crocuses because the sun was just so beautiful on them, but ran back in because I was freezing!

I knew that, Lynn, but there were no deer when I planted them!! I did not cut them yet, Harper. I don't have to replace them because I have clethra in front of them that have grown up nicely. The deer don't bother with them. Also, it's not a screen to anyone on the outside. It was just a way to visually 'section off' the pool area from the adjacent area and the clethra takes care of that now.

Enjoying the bounty.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

It's the famous Purple Finch! (probably made famous by the fact that it's not purple!!) ☺

Brought out my evergreen bonsai(s) for the season... it's time, along with a K. hornbeam. Left the maples and elms in their protected area until next week. Also planted a 6' forsythia this afternoon. ☺

Temp 41.0°, Wind S 7.6 mph, Wchill 33.8° ☺

I keep mixing it up with the female cardinal! Bonsai pics?!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I think they really could save a lot of overlapping of services and just combine the purple finch and house finch into one bird.

Hit 50 today.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

You know it... just didn't want to step on your finch! ☺

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

Al, that water has no ripples! ☺

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

No, lot of current though - about a foot deep too.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

Love your picture, WC2-
42 in keene now- was sunny and super windy, kind of chilly but worked outside anyway. My first nonbulb flower bloomed!!!! (against the west facing stone wall)

Thumbnail by sjms
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hope you feel better soon, Celeste!

Nice shot Al. Very nice, WC. White pine on the right? Japanese black pine in the rear? What's the one in front?

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

Ilove your picture too, WC2, when I was trying to post, it wasn't up yet- what i meant was the water reflection that I was looking at in Al's post... meanwhile... anyway.... nice pictures.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Nice shots, Victor, Al and WC! We have purple finches in NH and house finches here. Hmmmmm.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.