Today's Weather in Your Garden - 16

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

I still ay crazy crazy

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

One 'finished' (except for one branch out of ~30 that I had to correct this spring) and another that I keep in a 'training pot'. I want to do a 'root over rock'. (when I find the right rock) I have to start in spring and it will take a year to bond the root to the rock. ☺

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks WC. These are just small starters but exciting just the same. I'd love to do succulent/caudiciform bonsai but I want to have success with the bougainvillea first. They're so tempermental! My son has loaned me one of his digital cameras and I'm still learning the ins and outs of it. I'm a film baby from way back, including working in photo labs many years ago.

Patti, you'd have to peel me off the ceiling if a mouse ran up my arm! I hate rodents in any shape or form. - Lynn

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Sounds cool. I guess for bonsai enthusiasts, watching the grass grow is considered an action sport...

Ha, ha Victor! Depending on what you grow, they can actually require a decent amount of work.

That's why I have DG, so I can watch the moss grow... ☺

Speaking of moss....

When I was cleaning up one of the gardens today, I found some small clumps of moss and saved them to put in with 2 of the bonsai. If they live, they'll look super growing along side the plant.

I've done that too mamasita. I found that type, (found in the yard) grows extremely fast given the right conditions and can cover a pot in a growing season. I just make sure the specimen does not need a drying out period. The elms I grow can tolerate a full moss covering. The evergreens & most others can't. I don't use that type anymore because I used it on a cottoneaster once which was established and it got white fungal disease the same season so I'm wary of the pathogens it might transfer. I had to destroy the cottoneaster and let the pot dessicate completely. ☺

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I put out my birdhouses today so the birds can go "shopping" but prolly in the rain!
Patti have a great trip and say hi and HB to DS!!!

Oh, no WC! I know it's a delicate balance with everything we do with and for our plants. I'll keep a close eye on the bougainvillea to make sure there aren't any problems. I did worry about introducing something growing out in the garden to the tropicals, but thought that since they end up outdoors when the weather warms anyway, maybe I'll be all right. Thanks for alerting me to the moss problems.

- Lynn

Sent you a D-mail mamasita. ☺

Got it! Thanks for the info - much appreciated. - Lynn

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Boojum, I will think of you while I eat my way through New Orleans. Music will be great too. I will be missing some emerging bulbs, but I can deal with it for a pile of fresh shrimp. Plus the weather. It may be too warm. How much snow do you still have? I am thinking of making a quick run to Vt to see if I can see some bare ground.

And speaking more of moss, my DH is mad for moss. He collected bags full for our endless stream this winter. He mixed up some with buttermilk to paint on the rocks. I can't say that has grown yet. But his clumps are doing well on the rocks. But we don't have to worry about the delicate balance that happens in the bonsai world. Patti

32 No stars, and not raining yet. Morning TGIF.

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

We have had a beautiful week but going down hill today with a much needed rain. Colin and I have spent the entire week outside playing - Colin in his sandbox and I have been raking the lawn, cleaning out the gardens and putting together a cedar garden hutch! It has been sunny and high's about 60 most of the week. Love it!!!!! I put the hutch next to my potting bench to hold my gardening tools, etc. Yes, I know it isn't quite level, but we'll work on that!! Got a good deal on the hutch from Lowes - marked down to $159 from $399 (checked on-line from the cedar shed website and they sell them there for $600!!! I was in the right place at the right time for once in my life!!! Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Inside of hutch! Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

what a great find.... good for you!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Bright and sunny with only a few high wispy clouds. Talk on the radio about rain perhaps a 30% chance later in the day and rain for sure tomorrow. So it will be a perfect planting day. I am overly tired of the spring cleaning chores. But I still have some edging to do. What fool dug all these beds in the first place? And why did she enlarge some of them this spring. It must have been that Victor guy who inspired this fool to do think it was a good idea to take on so much this
year. His "Vision" forum made me into a mad women. Out to get going. Patti

Was it a vision or did that Victor person Brain Wash you.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Nice job with your great find Eleanor. It was sunny here for a minute, now cloudy and rain this afternoon and tomorrow. Only about 36 degrees now but may get to 50 for a high. Sunday and Monday are looking a little better than the previous forecast but that could all change again tomorrow. Good time to do edging when everything is damp and you can't dig or plant, maybe that will be my task this weekend too.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

cool,grey and real rain. No more planting for me.
Jo Ann

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

"Brief period of rain amounting to a few hundredths of an inch or less".

Anyhow, it's 52 and the sun has been playing games this morning.

48 and drizzly. Very nice Eleanor - great find! I love cedar. Have fun, Patti!

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

mid thirties this am- supposed to rain by noon- I somehow found myself at a nursery yesterday, and think i have time to get in my 2 new aubrietas and icelandic poppies..sometimes they'll stick around for another year- the poppies i mean- the aubrieta sometimes dies out too, i guess, or gets crowded out, but i love the color. NO MORE SNOW IN THE YARD as of today!! Happy day to all. Sarah

47 in this area and we've already had some rain. What a difference a day makes, huh? Glad I got out and accomplished a few things the previous few days.

I love that cedar hutch, Eleanor! You really were in the right place at the right time. About 3 years ago, HD had 2 metal baker's racks marked down to $39.00 ea. I couldn't believe my eyes! Grabbed them both before anyone else had a chance. They now hold dozens of plants!

Patti, why buttermilk for the moss? Does it help it to cling to the rocks?

- Lynn

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Been raining here since around 4am or so. 40 degrees outside. Forecast says snow Sunday into Monday. Yuck!
I left the heat off in the greenhouse last night. It's 53 in there this morning. Should be alright till tonight. Going to be much cooler tonight so I'll have to turn the heat on again.

MollyD

I am giving the GH a hoe/swab job and it started hailing! Was 50 (indide) when I went in and 40 when I came out..........brrrrrrr. Heater is not in yet. I do have a kerosene heater though. Going to get a gal.

Thomaston, CT

Nice hutch, Eleanor--Sherri--are you always up at 4am? Patti--thanks for mentioning Ollalie Farm--that's where I ordered my DL's from---cool & cloudy here--am too sore to do any yardwork--overdid it yester. Have to go to Goshen to babsit my HayHay & Anni--haven't seen them this week.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Cloudy but 65 today is supposed to rain for the next 4 days. At least we had yesterday in the 70's and not a cloud in the sky, spent the whole day outside. Pulled weeds in 6 flower beds and put down some Preen. Cleaned out most of the leaves, started a compost pile. Surrounded my birdfeeders with a cute little cedar fence and put newspaper down to kill the grass to get ready to plant some divided daylilies.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Nice hutch, Eleanor! The inside is so neat!! Congrats on such a great find!!

54, cloudy and raw. Hummer spotted in CT! Looks just east of Litchfield. Started my pond pump. The level dropped a bit from yesterday but I decided to turn it on and see what happens. Had a few birds show up pretty quickly. Would have been many more if it were a nice day.

Temp 49.6°, Wind SE 0.0 mph. Raining lightly ☺

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Just finished planting and caging all of victor's shrubs 25 plus except 3. I did have fun, sort of and I almost can see the "vision thing". Plus I planted 30 phlox subulata 'white' from a coop and a few perennials. Just ran out of steam and it is now cool and damp, but the rain held off all day. Now I hope it rains, though, I watered everyone in very well. I doubt I will be very energetic tomorrow. It is now 48 out side. Patti

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Will you call it your "Victor-y" garden?

Here is a totally dumb question. i can't believe i don't know this. Define "freeze warning" and tell me how you know about them. Or "frost warning." (and what is a "heavy" frost?)
i thought it was just temps below freezing, but i am begining to think there is more to it.

thanks...

Freeze warning is when the local stores close early, heavy frost warning is when they don't open at all! ☺

I have been caught several times in a frost squall here on the Island, a 7 min drive turns into a 20 min drive. The windshield freezes over and wipers are ineffective so it's as if you are looking through a bathroom window! the streets are covered with a sheet of ice in less than 2 minutes, it gets very nasty...

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Amy, I hope I can just call it "pretty", but I will give him lots of credit for getting me into gear. I am more excited that the shed is now spotless and organized, well at least for a few days. But I do have good intentions. It will be a few years before all my mini victor shrubs make a statement, but I do like the nurturing of a small shrub into a specimen plant. Red Sox and Yankees game has started. Patti

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Been grey and kinda raw all day but no rain yet. Even though the weather doesn't want to get with the spring program the critters sure are "getting with it". That darn Tom turkey has been struttin' and gobble gobble all over the place and last night the foxes were yelling something awful. I hate that blood curdling scream they make. The squirrels are even more psychotic than usual chasing each other up and down and around trees. I'm telling ya there is a lot more stuff going on out there in the woods than just trees growing.

It must be spring!

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Coyotes have been howling here but the surest sign of spring is our horse. Every spring he manages to escape from his paddock almost everyday! Then he runs off to raid lawns on other people's places cause you all know about the grass being greener somewhere else!

MollyD

Would the coyotes bother a horse??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.