Post your spring photos - whenever you have spring!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Tiarella 'Spring Symphony' blooming now.

Thumbnail by doss
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

This bed is fully shaded in summer, but in winter/spring the walnut tree in the middle is bare, so the plants get a sunlight boost when they need it most! I'm surprised the 'Tropicanna' canna threw out some blooms - normally I cut them down in Feb and they don't return until late May. This time I was late, just cut them back two days ago. Lots of new smaller leaves coming up, but these two were actually flowering. The weather's been pretty good this spring, although we could use some more rain, so I think everything's about 3 weeks ahead of schedule so far.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

My favorite shady bed combination - bearded iris and hellebore.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Probably should have posted this second instead of the iris/hellebore photo - this is the back of the bed in my first photo. A truly gaudy combination of orange nasturtiums and pink coleonema! But the nasturtiums don't last long, and the splash of colors is actually refreshing after too many dreary wet days.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

This variegated erysimum manages to hang on despite a rough time in the winter in another shaded bed. The arum leaves are lovely but the flowers are quite ugly.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

This fragrant dwarf rhodie is lanky and unattractive - but the flowers open to a yellow-throated white, and are as fragrant as Easter lilies! They are almost as pretty when still buds, a beautiful shaded pink:

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Another bearded iris, with the Oxalis siliquosa in full winter technicolor behind it. O. siliquosa really shows the beautiful copper-pink tones in winter - in summer it pretty much goes yellow-chartreuse. The variegated alstroemeria leaves are attractive, but the plant is in too much shade to ever bloom well. I really should move it.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

One of my favorite plants, a 'Jack Frost' brunnera bought at ridiculous expense, is beginning to disappear under an aggressive palm that I need to cut back. But the brunnera has put up its delicate spikes of tiny sky-blue flowers - hard to capture with my ancient digital camera, this was the best shot I could get. A white calla is lying on the ground next to it.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful! I'm so impressed that you've been able to plant so much under a walnut and have it grow so well. I've had trouble with brunneras disappearing too and wonder if they need the cold to keep going. I've had trouble growing Hexastylis (or Asarum). Another magic touch you have. Mine has just languished.

Here's a hellbore - I've posted this somewhere else but it's pretty enough to post twice. :-)

Thumbnail by doss
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

wow very beautiful ladies....some day we will be growing here again also... I do have some crocuses in blossom... nice to see them!!!

Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

It's wonderful to see what is going on in other places. Here in zone 5, I'm loving the crocuses!!!

Thumbnail by Gardenfrances
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

We don't get crocus here so yours is looking very lovely. Here's a kurume azalea. They are really spectacular when they are blooming.

Thumbnail by doss
Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

The hellebore, azalea, tiarella - all gorgeous! Here's another crocus.

Thumbnail by Gardenfrances
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Well, for a ton of color ini my mostly shady yard, I just can't beat my azaleas. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

And, with the azaleas, comes the Carolina Jessamine.
:)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

beautiful photo frances. And Deb, your mature azaleas and jessamine are stunning. How old are the azaleas?

Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

The jessamine is beautiful; does it smell, too? (Thanks, Doss - it's hard to miss when the flower itself is so perfect. I guess its a good thing that crocus are blooming by themselves - it makes me appreciate each one. If they were with a slew of other things I might not notice how gorgeous they are individually. )

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Frances: The crocus are so beautiful. I love seeing them because they don't grow well here. Too mild, I think. Oh, and yes, the jessamine smells heavenly. To me it's like vanilla.

Doss: Those azaleas are about 10 years old. Some are 3-5' taller than I am. I can't reach far enough to prune them. :)

Deb

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Crocus don't grow well here either unless they come prechilled and you grow them as annuals. That one that you posted is particularly vibrant Frances.

What fortune to be able to be in the shade of an azalea Deb.

Here's another kurume azalea. It's about 18 inches tall and is 10 years old.

Thumbnail by doss
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Doss: I always believed that good things come in small packages. :) That kurume is a wonderful color!

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh my, all the photos are glorious! Doss, your kurume azaleas are gorgeous - I finally sprang for an Encore azalea by mail because I couldn't find what I wanted locally. HD had them but wouldn't differentiate them by color, and I desperately wanted a red one!

Turns out it's more a red with a hint of orange but it fades to dark pink. But does seem to be pretty vigorous. It looks pretty good considering it arrived half-dead (I was very unhappy with Park Seeds about the order). It's already bloomed twice in two months. Heavy feeder, though! I tried to include the tag but it's not very readable: variety is "Autumn Embers".

Thumbnail by jkom51
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Looks like you were able to bring it back to life pretty well jkom. I had a friend get some from Parks and the same thing happened. Beautiful!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

georgeous!!!! I have a shady yard also and should look into the azaleas!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

jkom: I have Autumn Embers and Autumn Sunset and both have been good bloomers for me. They seem to need alot of water the first year, moreso than some "regular" azaleas. Otherwise, they've bloomed nicely for me in close to full shade.
Deb

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

I have a flowering quince in a semi-shady part of the back yard, that is the first thing to bloom every year.

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Quinces are so pretty and they take more shade than it would seem.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful pics everyone! Thanks so much for sharing spring in your "neck of the woods" :)

My spring bulbs are gone by, but the azaelas are budded. I've got some jacks up and a few other jacks almost opened...

This one is 'Jack Frost'

Thumbnail by jody
MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

:)

Thumbnail by jody
Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous -

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful I don't grow any of those.

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Jody, wow, what a cool plant! I'll have to check into growing those Jacks!

Doss, I wish my azaleas would grow like yours. My front yard is deep shade, so mine are spindly and something keeps eating the leaves off them and my rhododendrons.

Thumbnail by Sundownr
MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone

doss do arisaema's grow in CA or is it too warm?

I love them, when I was a kid we had all kinds of wild species ones in our woods. I've got two other ones but hope to keep expanding the collection.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Heronswood nursery says that they can grow into zone 9 - but sometimes that's just wrong. I've never seen anyone grow one here. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen though.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Azalea "Autumn Embers" is in bloom now. This one is on an east wall and only sees sun until noon at latest.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Deb. Jody, I checked Plant Delights Nursery site and some of the arisaemas only go up to zone 7 but some of them are listed as zone 9. Sounds as if you are right that a lot of them need more cold than we have here. I've been trying to grow toad lilies and brunneras and I think that it's a problem for them here too.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful Deb!

Wow doss! And here I have always been so envious of those in warmer zones... guess it's true what they say, "the grass is always greener"...

Orangeburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Some of my azaleas a couple of weeks ago...

Thumbnail by lussah
Orangeburg, SC(Zone 8a)

A few more...

Thumbnail by lussah
Orangeburg, SC(Zone 8a)

And a few more.

Thumbnail by lussah
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sure are beautiful lussah

Here's a shade garden. The red bloomers on the left are azaleas and the purple ones to the left are viola odorata.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.