Post your spring photos - whenever you have spring!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

here are few more of my faves!!! Giant Pacific Primrose

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Epimediums.... really just getting started.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

celadine poppies.... these are so cute!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

brunnera??? Jack frost I think?!?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Of course the Bleeding Heart..... My fave of all spring plants!!!! Not quit flowering but the weather is suppose to be really cold tonight and wanted a picture of it. :( Sure hope it will be okay tonight!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Garden lady the brunnera is a brunnera but it's not Jack Frost which has silver markings. The flowers are definitely brunnera though.
Here's Jack Frost
http://www.terranovanurseries.com/wholesale/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=28

I'm trying epimediums for the first time this year and they are doing OK but my dicentra that I tried bit the dust. The foliage is so pretty.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

So many pretty spring blooms coming on! And so many pretty pictures on this thread! I'm finding lots of ideas for my shady garden sites.

And we have our bleeding hearts blooming too! And I love 'em and wish I had more.

Does anyone know if they can be propagated easily by cuttings? I read on Weezingreen's thread that they can be divided when they are big (but mine are small). Or do they reseed themselves? Any ideas?

And I had no idea there were so many kinds...check out Big Dipper Farm's list of bleeding hearts...

http://www.bigdipperfarm.com/cgi-bin/searchstuff.pl?Botanical=Dicentra

I will continue to lurk and ogle all your pretty pics! t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

Interupted fern - It reminds me of two ladies dancing!
There are just so many exciting things popping each day.

Thumbnail by Gardenfrances
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I've never seen interupted fern before Frances. How lovely.
Your dicentra is so beautiful tabasco. It's a great time in the shade garden.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Gardenfrances, I agree, spring is exciting! I have been feeling especially lucky, as I am going through the very firstsrping in my new home. It's so fascinating because all these unexpected plants are popping out in the garden one at a time....Some of them I have never seen before and as I follow their progress i try to guess what they are before they bloom!

Doss you should give dicentras a chance, even here in san diego they are surviving (so far! lol)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone -- I was looking for a place to post a photo of my fasciated bleeding heart and found this thread. Such lovely pictures and gardens. What a delight.

Here it is (it's my first fasciated anything ever, so I'm very proud):

Thumbnail by wickerparker
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's the whole plant, while I'm at it, with attractive orange fencing in the background. We're under construction, but I'm still determined to enjoy the garden.

This is dicentra Gold Heart, by the way.

Thumbnail by wickerparker
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You may have orange temporary fence but the fence that the plants are in front of is really wonderful. Great color on the dicentra. Glad that you posted them!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow, Laura! That is absolutely gorgeous! I love that gold bleeding heart, fasciated or not. :)

Diann

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks, you guys. It's definitely my favorite early spring plant.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Very very pretty! By the way, what's that cool looking climber in the background?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That's a climbing hydrangea.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

wow, very pretty!

wicker-- Love your bleeding heart, but please tell me, what does 'fasciated' mean for a bleeding heart?

I have never seen a gold bleeding heart--very pretty.

And welcome to DG! I can't wait to see more of your garden pics!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Tabasco. I've actually been on DG for a few years. I guess I don't post that much though. Mostly I just soak it all up.

It's probably not a very good picture, but in that first shot there are many stems that are stuck together with a mass of flowers at the end. Isn't that fasciation? I've seen it, in pictures, with others plants though never with a bleeding heart. Still that must be what it is, right?

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I think it's really cool, kind of like a laminated bleeding heart. :) I'm going to have to get some of those gold ones for the hosta heavens. :)

Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

You're right, Doss, it IS a beautiful time in a shade garden!
Congratulations, robc on your new home! It must be doubly exciting for you, not knowing where some new treasures may pop up! Thanks for the education on fasciation.... I was wondering what it meant, so thanks, Tabasco for asking, and wicker, for the pic and explanation!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's the DG thread about fasciantion. Good photos
http://davesgarden.com/guides/terms/go/1866/

Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Doss! Interesting. Now that I know what it is, I realize that I have seen it before!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow, that's bizarre, I had never seen this, thanks for the info Doss!

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

One month after Doss first started this thread, I guess we're already sliding into summer. I've had to start watering again, we were only 75% of normal in the East Bay so they're talking about mandatory water rationing already.

Here's my 'Jack Frost' brunnera, which is already ending its bloom season. You can just see one last pale-blue flower stalk leaning horizontally to the left:

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

And I just noticed my sole surviving 'Endless Summer' has bloomed. The other croaked in a painfully slow process, darn it.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I love Jack Frost. Mine is coming back less and less over the years and I don't know why.
How lucky to have an hydrangea blooming so early! Sorry that you lost your other one though.

Ah, yes, now that I look more closely at the photo I see the fasciation (?). Very strange looking bleeding heart, though.

And thanks for the link, doss. I had forgotten about that and it was a good refresher.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a photo of a Tree Peony that I have planted in almost all shade. It is doing unexpectedly well underneath a persimmon tree.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Not only are you growing Tree Peonies in zone 9 but in the shade of a persimmon tree! Good going. What a beautiful color.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

You all like lilacs??

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

another

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

and another

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Fabulous dragonfly. I can almost smell them.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Dragonfly, that's lovely! Can you post some pics of the whole plants? Would love to see those!

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have a grouping of wood phlox growing under a fothergilla that has filled in nicely this year. It took me 3 tries before I could get the phlox to stay because it was always eaten by slugs. Now I have enough little brown snakes to eat the slugs.
edited to add: I have enjoyed all the photos on this thread especially when I didn't have much showing in my garden.
Also, I am sorry the photo is so large, I don't know why it does that sometimes.

This message was edited May 8, 2008 5:01 AM

Thumbnail by sempervirens
(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

thought I would add my bleeding heart photo too.

Thumbnail by lavender4ever
Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Lovely grouping lavender4ever. I like the grape hyacinth peeking through.

This photo shows the only Jacobs Ladder that comes back for me, Stairway to Heaven, and it's a native cultivar with variegated leaves so I am very pleased with it. In early spring before it blooms the leaves are very rose colored. It keeps the green and white variegation through the summer.

This message was edited May 9, 2008 4:14 AM

Thumbnail by sempervirens
(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

wow great plant and very lovely garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.