Post your spring photos - whenever you have spring!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oops forgot the photo

Thumbnail by doss
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Lussah, what are the light pink azaleas called? Very pretty!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

doss, very pretty what is the ground cover on the left of the photo??? here is some of my first flowers for the season...crocuses, very hard to tell but they were just "glowing" in the morning when the sun was shining on them!!!

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Orangeburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, doss and rob.
NOt sure what the lighter pink one is that's near my goat. My favored light pink ones are George Lindley Taber, but there's only a teeny bit of them in one of the shots. I have some larger GLTs but they bloomed after the Formosas. The coral colored ones are outta here ASAP so I can plant more GLTs.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I've never grown Azaleas before but I really am leaning towards getting a light pink /pinkish white one....like yours!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

BEautiful garden lady. Crocus aren't very happy here so it's good to see them in bloom.
The ground cover is dichondra. Don't think that it's hardy in your zone.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

HI, doss, I'm so happy I stumbled upon this thread! I haven't seen posts of your garden in ages and I always want to know what you are creating!

And I love all the azalea photos--for some reason I don't think of azaleas as shade garden plants, but I suppose they are--we have ours in part shade, so I guess that qualifies.

Here is a photo of a few of our daffodils blooming today near the front walkway in a part shade garden. Right now they get a good bit of sun because the trees haven't leafed out.

Our azaleas have yet to flower but it won't be long. (-: I can't wait!

Thumbnail by tabasco
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What a delightful little garden tabasco!

Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

Beautiful landscaping, Doss! Wow! Such a surprise to see green grass.
The crocus are great, Garden Lady - It's amazing what they can do for our green-starved spirits!!!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Glad that you enjoyed the grass. You get the thumbs up for not having to mow it all winter. LOL The other thing is that here the perennials don't get covered with snow so it can look pretty bare out there in the perennial garden.

I do love the gardening and the weather where I live though - I have to admit.

Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

Lussah, great azaleas -what gorgeous colors!
What a cheerful nook, Tabasco!

Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

You mean that some of your perennials don't grow all winter? (I never really thought about how the seasons affect places where there isn't snow all winter!)
Regarding the grass mowing - you are right about not having to mow all winter, but since my husband and I fight over who gets the grass clippings (he wants them for the lawn and I want them for the garden) maybe if we had lawn all year we could have enough to go around!!! LOL

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Doss: That's a really lovely entry way.
Lussah: Bunch of happy azaleas you have there! With all the wind and rain the past couple of weeks, most of ours have lost their blooms now. :(
Tabasco: What a pretty little garden! And I like the pineapple birdbath, too!
Deb

Orangeburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, DebinSC,
My Formosas bloomed ahead of most the wind and rain, but really hammered my GLTs. Not permanent damage, just took care of the blooms. Oh, well, I can go ahead and cut them back now!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Frances, doesn't your husband understand that grass clippings on the lawn help create thatch and heaven knows that he doesn't want that! LOL

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I love this plant, reminds me of my parents' house in Brazil!

Thumbnail by robcorreia
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Mahonia

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Salt Point, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Doss for the thatch argument; I definitely have the first round of clippings now!! Can't wait to mow...........

Orangeburg, SC(Zone 8a)

OOH! I love mahonia! I have leatherleaf several places in my yard. Last December I planted five winter suns and they have already almost doubled in size!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

robbcorreia.... pretty what is that plant called??? Love the color!!! I see you are in zone 10. Probably not for the cold winters like we have in Michigan... Drattet!!!! Very pretty. I mean the Brazil plant.. Ronna

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Gardenlady, it's a Brunfelsia Pauciflora. It's called "yesterday-today-and-tomorrow" because the blooms open purple, then turn a light lavender and then white...it smells lovely too! Here is a link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/126815/

Lussah, my Mahonia was a total impulse buy, I had no clue what it was when I got it at the local nursery...this tough guy survived at least 2 months in its plastic pot until I found a spot for it...and then it just exploded ! It's so beautiful, I agree!

Troy, IL

I love the big cheerful blooms on my Saucer Magnolia. I can see this from my bedroom window, first thing every morning I open the blinds so I can admire it while I'm waking up.

Thumbnail by stormiegrrl
MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I love magnolias! I just took a pic of mine this morning. Will try to get it on the pc and post it.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Isn't it nice to open your bedroom blinds first thing in the morning and admire your favorite flowers? I do that too with my cannas!

Orangeburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous photo of the saucer magnolia. I love those, too and there's one outside my bedroom window, also. Many years, the earlier bloomers get hit by a freeze! This year was no different. They look awesome one day and so sad the next.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

very beautiful!!!!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I love the flowering trees. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Yochino Cherry and Redbud.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I love the flowering trees too Redbud. Ours are all over for the year.
Polygonatum is blooming.

Thumbnail by doss
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Doss: My one and only polygonatum disappeared in summer last year and I was sure it was a goner - too much heat, not enought water, something.

2 weeks ago, I gave up on it and planted a fern where it used to be.

Wouldn't ya know it, last weekend I went to water the fern, and there was a little 2" sprout of my "dead" polygonatum.

Yours look very happy, btw.
Deb

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Doss, that's so pretty! Do you think they do ok in my zone? I alway wanted salomon's seal in my shady garden...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Rob, you could certainly grow the Great Salomen's seal and you might even try the variegatum. I don't know if you have room for the 5 foot Great one but it would be quite a deal.
http://www.bigdipperfarm.com/cgi-bin/searchstuff.pl?Botanical=Polygonatum

Deb, I have had the same thing happen when I planted polygonatum and it went dormant right away but came back in the spring. Funny plant. I was sure that I had lost it.

Orangeburg, SC(Zone 8a)

doss,
Thank you for the link to the Big Dipper Farm. I've been looking all over for more Solomon's Seal and could not find any. I just ordered some of all three types they have. I can't wait for it to get here!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You should call Big Dipper and ask if they really have the three things you ordered. Sometimes they run out of stock and it's not reflected on the website. That's the only drawback of ordering from them. Their plants are great!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Really...? I got an order from them this week and the plants were in terrible condition!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Love that solomons; I've got a miniature one. I'll have to get a pic...

Here is my "weed" as my DH calls it LOL. It's in need of a "hair cut" again.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2008 5:26 AM

Thumbnail by jody
MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

and some Iris cristata

Thumbnail by jody
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That's too bad Rob. I hope that Big Dipper does right by you and fixes the problem. Beautiful 'weed' jody. Here are some Pacific Coast Iris that bloom in the shade.

Thumbnail by doss
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Lovely "weed" Jody!

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Nice grape hyachinths Rob. Here they do grow like weeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.