How many seeds or seedlings do you have going now?

There are a total of 597 votes:

I haven't started any seeds yet
(101 votes, 16%)
Red dot

I've started just one container or tray of seeds
(69 votes, 11%)
Red dot

I've got several trays of seeds going
(293 votes, 49%)
Red dot

I've got a greenhouse full of seedlings
(70 votes, 11%)
Red dot

I don't start seeds indoors
(63 votes, 10%)
Red dot

This is the end of the gardening season for me
(1 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I am already on my third sets of trays. The plastic is down on the greenhouse for the season and now they are threatening freezing tonight. Last frost was supposed to be 3/15

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I always plan to start seeds inside early, but never seem to find the time. Next year I will be retired and may follow through and do it.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

One tray of 36 border dahlias, basil and then all the dahlia tubers from last year. The seeds have already sprouted and many of the tubers have sprouted. Next week is the big planting week with almost 2,000 plants expected from the work involved.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I've got basil, peppers and tomatoes started and potted up. Also trying some annual flowers and perennials this year. My orchids are getting crowded out of the greenhouse.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, one of the answers said "containers", so I had to answer "several" (because "many" wasn't an option), but I realize now that it said indoors. I guess i should go back and vote again, as I only have a couple containers of basil indoors. xx, Carrie

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I have a tray full of foxglove with some black hollyhock thrown in for good measure that was just seeded. Still waiting on some other types of seeds to pop - coffee, Ponderosa Lemon, Calamondin Orange, different Palms, Wisteria. Then there are the seedlings: Brugmansia, Datura, Silk Tree, Alonsoa, Sundrop, Lobelia, Jacob's Ladder, Meadow Rue, St. John's Wort, Canna, Levant Cotton, Russian Hollyhock, Sidalcea, and many others.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Indoors I have flats and containers under every available light (under the kitchen cabinets, an old flourescent desk light, made room in my orchid cart, all of my south windows). I only have one small heat mat, so it's constant juggling there. Then, if you want to add in the winter sowing, I have 6 big Rubbermaid tubs with 24 baggies in each one. I'm not done... haven't started my tomatoes yet or some annuals. and I'm planning on direct sowing some things. The ground is still frozen here and it snowed again last night :-(

~ jan

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

I have daylilies, Asclepias, Violets, Begonias, Verbascum, Oenotherea,Astragalus, cylcamen, Melianthus major, & Echium russicum up in the GH
Gran

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Our weather has been bizarre! I just put away the mottley assortment of sheets, moving blankets, etc. that I use to cover special plants when it freezes & brought my pink lemon tree out of the greenhouse & it's supposed to freeze tonight! Late for us here in South Ga! Was just about to plant out my seedlings too - sunflowers, Asclepias, Morning glory, moonflower, tomatoes, round zucchini, zinnias, but I guess I'll wait! Samantha

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I'm late this year. Usually, I have several going by now. Busy year.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm getting carried away this year. I have three seed flats, and all sorts of square trays, soda bottles, margarine tubs, milk cartons. . . The question will be, "When will I prepare all the beds to plant this much stuff??

My tomato babies are looking lovely, though they don't have their first true leaves yet. Cannot wait for that first ripe, juicy tomato!

Also, LOL to grampapa on flats everywhere. I don't have grow lights, but had a brain flash as I kept bringing the flat down from the fridgetop to look for seedlings by the light of my undercounter fluorescent light. Now I have a tower of boxes under my flat to get those babies up by the light!

Thumbnail by Bookerc1
Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I just got a greenhouse last fall and have been planting alot of seed that grew like crazy and now am transplanting from the seed flats to individual cups. I have at least 75 butterfly bush plants started (mixed variety), lupines (russell hybrids), Appleblossom Geranium, Red Rosebud Geranium, Vancouver Geranium, tomatoes, peppers, basil, fennel, german ivy, thyme, colues cuttings, petunias,...oh my gosh...so many things I can't name them all.

I am having a great time :)

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

hummm is 8 trays more than several LOL. I have tomato (22 diff), peppers (8 diff), cucumbers and zucks.

We've had screwy weather...someone forgot to tell Mr. Winter that S.E. TX doesn't have one!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I have the stuff for starting the seeds - I just have to get it all organized. Sigh.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I have eight trays of various seeds underlights in the basement and my 25 new Calla bulbs from the co-op just planted today in pots down there.

Then I have my 25 'germination bins' for my wintersowing outside shown in the photo.

Lots of fun to sow seeds.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

I have growing Lavender, Red Hot Poker, peas, lettuce, pumpkins, beans, zucchini all growing in trays right now. Now I have to find the space to plant them.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I have the seeds, have the growing medium, trays, grow lights with shelves... just need the time to put them together!!

(Zone 6a)

I voted for one container/tray as I only have a few pots so far.....Pride of Barbados, Brugmansia, Sophora and Solanum.

Ginnylynn, how's the silk tree coming? I heard it grows really fast! I was thinking of trying it myself, we always seem to be growing the same thing! hehehehehe

Steven

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

17 trays is more than a couple? LOL! I have growing: chinese lanterns, hollyhock, foxglove, delphiniums, artichokes, 3 different types of basil, nodding onions, echinacea, poppies, nasturnium, radishes, beets, tomatoes, peppermint, oregano, stock, agastache (3 kinds) lambs ears, blackeyed susans, cosmos, primrose, forget me knots, and others I cant even think of. Already started my outdoor sowing... now I have to find room in my beds for the indoor stuff :o)

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Seedlings I have petunia, heliotrope, Catananche, Abutilon, lavender geranium
Seed tryas of Abutilon, Lantana, hollyhock,Pyrethrium,Delphiniums, Cosmos, and Cleome.

I have enough. I need a bigger sun room!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My first tray is in the hydoponics bays in the science department of the school where I work. They can't start until we get back from spring break.

My amazing windows at school are the only wonderful place I have to start seeds, but they need to turn off the heat!

It will be off after break.
The seeds are coming!!

Elf

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Saying I have several trays started is an understatement. I've got more trays started than Carter's got Liver Pills.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We are growing hundreds of perennials from seed this year. Also a bunch of Hostas started from root pieces.
All kinds of veggie seedlings going strong.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

I have 5 different varieties of Hollyhock that are already about 3 in. tall, Ornamental Egg Plant, two varieties of coneflowers, Four O'clocks Broken Colors, Baby Bear Dwarf Sunflowers, RazzleDazzle Gaillardia, Hocus Pocus Ornamental Peppers, Marshmallow Plant, Purple Ruffles Basil, and a large tray of Mixed Coleus. I started them all under grow lights and they are doing really well.

I have already gotten a shipment in of live plants from a mail order and I have had to make room to put them under light also. We are still having frost and it will be a bit before it will be safe to acclimate and move any of these out to the beds.

I am really enjoying mothering them and watching them grow. LOL

Nana3

This message was edited Mar 25, 2008 8:30 AM

Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

Seedling's all over the place here. What do you do when the kids move out, make their bedroom into a greenhouse : ). Helps with the empty nest thing, Still takin care of babies, in a plant sort of way.

We got seedlings in our bedroom too. Heirloom tomatoes and peppers are inside under grow lights. 21 flats all together in the house, along w/ 40 Phlox plants.

Theres 172 wintersow containers outside covered with little seedlings. I hope there still there, it got pretty windy last night, got to let the chickens out and go check'em out.

There will be much to plant. I'm already transplanting tomatoes into bigger pots

Thumbnail by Lindawalkabout
Valsolda, Italy(Zone 9b)

Hello!

It is too early to plant seeds here. I usually plant them in the middle of April. They flower from May then. I once tried from June. Everything started flowering in November and December. In January they froze. Some of my Petunias are coming back now. The others are dead.

Oneonta, NY(Zone 5b)

I planted one "Angel food cake" container (They have clear plastic tops, and black bowls, looked like a greenhouse planter to me!) with Pyrethrum, Ashwaganda, Jasmine, Eucalyptus, Dragon's Blood trees, Virginia BunchFlower, Anise, Bittersweet, Devil's Claw, Goat's Rue and Gymea lily. The only one that came up and stayed up so far is the Dragon's Blood. I just threw in a few of my Parlor Palms seeds, to see if they are viable. It gets spritzed daily, and doused when it looks dry, and I added Miracle Grow liquid fertilizer, and Root Guardian which is supposed to guard against damping off. Maybe it was just too chilly yet **or again** for some of them to grow. I'll be starting other flats pretty soon, with those and other seeds. I only have containers for growing, so only a couple of seeds for each variety could explain the low germination. Might try some Gibberellic Acid next time to be sure of results.

Albany, GA(Zone 8a)

Thousands of seeds sown! I just moved earlier this year and the place only had 1 mini Azealia bush. Good thing I have them all under row covers! Plants I am attempting to start from seed: foxglove, sunflowers, california poppies, Love lies bleeding, Red hot poker, Margarite Golden, Blanket flower, Plains core.... something, etc...

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

My answer wasn't there -- I've direct-sowed (is that gramatically correct, or does anyone care?) everything this year. I do have a little tray of basil seeds but to say "one" would look like I was barely gardening!

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

..need...more...room...she mumbles to herself, looking at the trays with the seedlings that are too big...

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Kind of a trick question. I don't do seeds indoors but have many trays and pots set in seeds. All outdoors without a greenhouse. So how do I answer the poll?

Snohomish, WA

Getting out of control and more to do!! Got Jack bean, Jobs tears, water orchid, many vines, daturas, brugs, cannas, EEs, and too much more!!

Thumbnail by NWGordon
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh, man, I have a kazillion pots of seedlings going and about 80% of them need to be pricked out and sent to larger quarters, but there is no room under lights, and virtually no sun in the 10 day forecast (I could use tables in front of windows, but what's the point if it's cloudy for the next 10 days?)

I haven't even started the cannas, dahlias, or most of my annual seeds.

If I make a trip to the hardware store for a couple more lights, it would give me room for 3 flats. So out of the kazillion pots of seedlings, I would have a kazillion minus 3. Big Deal! We need heat and sun here, and fast!

Suzy

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Have pots, soil and lots of seeds! I've only started a couple of oriental cabbages. I'm really trying not to start my seeds too soon like I usually do! Next week...:)

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

My flowers reseed right into the garden freely every year and I just toss out more seeds directly into my gardens..I've never started them indoors..we don't have to...Jeanne

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Again, I needed an "other" category.
I chose "greenhouse full", but I don't have a greenhouse. I do have about 3 dozen flats w/ winter-sown seeds, plus a basement full of tubers/corms/bulbs. SO, If I did have a greenhouse, it sure would be plenty full!!! (And I am still starting seeds indoors!!!)

Albany, GA(Zone 8a)

How do you vote? I don't see anything to click!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I have a greenhouse full of seedlings - without the greenhouse! OMG . . . what have I done???? Soooo many seedlings, . . . so many more to start - when will I get a chance to pot them up???? LOL

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I voted for "several trays of seeds going" because that came the closest to the fact that I have 83 jugs of winter-sown seeds outside (and some of them are germinating: yippee!) In April I will start some seeds under lights.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.