Are your lilies sprouting?

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Wow aggie mine are not even an inch up yet. But as others have stated, once they break dormancy they come up incredibly quickly. Post pictures of yours! I have some pale yellow ones, fuscia looking ones, red ones, and some pink ones.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

My hardy hibiscus is just starting to come up......

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh man, I'm so jealous! We got snow here again tonight. Its all melted and gone now, but jeeze, it's enough all ready. At this rate we'll have to wear snow shoes for the Iowa RU. Ok, maybe not snow shoes, but long underwear....

Keep the pictures coming Steve, sometimes seeing green and knowing we're really not going into a mini ice age helps.

Diann

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi Diann. Yeah you guys in IA, WI and MN are really getting pounded this year! I am feeling bad for you - really - because in January I was ready for flowers so I can imagine how you feel. I really don't have much blooming past early July other than annuals like Zinnias and Marigolds, and then the Crape Myrtles and Hardy Hibiscus of course. My last lilies are done by the end of June, maybe into July but not much.

I am hoping I can get up to one of the Midwestern roundups this year. - IA or WI. Would love to meet you all.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2008 9:55 PM

Fox River Valley Are, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes, long winter. I got on my knees begging my wife to move to a warmer climate. So far she won't budge :*( The last of the snow here is just tiny piles in the shade, 55+ tomorrow.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Trust me intercessor, I am always whining about wanting to move back north by August! LOL I guess the grass is always greener....

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

The Asiatics planted in this patch from 2006 are multiplying ferociously. I really screwed up here and planted everything too close together. I always envision things when they're small and it looks OK then! LOL

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Steve, come on up to a round-up! They are a blast! We'd love to have ya! Iowa's is May 3rd. :)

Diann

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

It's still pretty darn nice looking. :)

Ahhh, that beautiful green, I feel a little bit better now :*)
5-7 months of cold weather is just to much to take along with the short days. Perhaps a climate that is more even, say near an ocean somewhere. Thats the ticket...

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

steve, how fast do they multiply? i mean, say you plant one bulb, guesstimate as to how many bulbs in a year or two? i am like you, i plant everything way to close together. i want that full, lush look now, not later! lol i did visit a friend and was amazed by her bed of easter lilies. she has been buying them cheap after they bloom and planting them. there were HUGE clumps of bulb stalks coming up! i mean from one bulb a couple of years ago it looked like there were over 20 now!

tracie

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Well even in my climate the asiatics are pretty prolific. I planted a bunch on a end of spring clearance. Grew them the first year in pots on the porch and they were very pretty. In the fall I planted them in the beds and was not sure if they would come back and then the next spring they were HUGE. The following spring they had spread to two feet square of lilies! That was just six bulbs originally. They are tough cookies!

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

wow, i didnt realize they multiplied so quickly!

tracie

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I have Oriental Showwinner and Black Beauty both with noses up now!

This message was edited Apr 4, 2008 6:36 PM

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

i was wondering, this is my first year with lilies and i was hoping you guys to give me some info. i was using my bulb auger to plant another plant and accidently hit one of my asiatic bulbs. :( it looked pretty chopped up, but i left it in the soil. is the bulb pretty much a goner? thanks

tracie

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Tracie, my experience has been similar on the multiplication. In the picture I have above you can see the main bulbs, which are the large ones. All of the smaller peripheral stalks are the babies. I planted those major bulbs in falll of 2006 and you can see all of the offsets, many of which will likely bloom if not this year then next. Asiatic lilies are probably even better multipliers than daffodils!!

To give you a perspective, here is the bed in May of 2007

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Here it is 6 days later ...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

And I know this is repetitive but was the only overhead shot I could find of the same bed...you can see all the daughter bulbs.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

OMG, they are multiplying! you have a really nice show this year. what do you think about my poor mangled bulb?

tracie

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh yeah, THAT - LOL. Not laughing AT you, but with you, because like most of the other lily growers here I have been there - several times! That "crunching into an apple" sound is the worst. I would say if most of the bulb is intact and you sliced off a side of it, you should be OK. I have gotten overly curious in the past and used to dig down to see where my sprouts were and chopped some off in the process. Have also dug down to plant something else and have sliced through a lily bulb. I have learned to a) be patient and wait for sprouts and b) to dig with my hands instead of a shovel if I know lilies are in the vicinity!

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

well, i chopped it with a bulb auger! i think it was in a bunch of pieces. someone said that the small pieces might develope into bulbs given enough time. i am really hoping that is true!

tracie

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Fianlly got around to taking a picture of Casa Rosa. She is bound and determined to get into the sun no matter how many times I've covered her back up!

I think I better pay attention to the overnight lows ^_^

edit: trying to get that smiley.....

well, that didn't work..........off to find out how!

still trying!

better go read those directions again.

SUCCESS!

This message was edited Apr 5, 2008 8:27 AM

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

That "Casa Rosa" almost looked like a daylily sprouting at first glance! I could not find a whole lot of info on it on the internet but the name sounds intriguing.

^_^

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

It looks pale because I keep covering it up! I believe she is an LO. Iowaron and I traded a few lilies about 3 years ago and she was one of them.

I was looking, but couldn't find my picture of the flower and to be perfectly honest I don't remember what she looks like for sure!

I think I'll just let her have the sun she wants and watch for cold nights so I can put that big box over her!

Poland, ME

I have been out cleaning out gardens this afternoon (time off from work) as rain is due in this weekend. And YES, I can say I have lilies coming up! Not all of them but many are up, some a couple of inches! And, I must add, I killed three red lily beetles! Do you believe it! They have no compassion for us lily lovers! And it's only April 10! UGH!

:*(

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ramona, is there anyway you could do a soil drench with like a garden hose and one of those fertilizer attachments?

Diann

Poland, ME

It's supposed to rain this weekend but I hope to go out there with a merit drench soon after the rain. it is never too early to start the war!

Ramona with as many lilies as you have you need a small atomic weapon!

Glad I made this raised bed. It is 6" high but most of the Buggy bulbs are 8-12" down which would put some 2-6 inches under water.

Thumbnail by intercessor
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I hope you put little water wings on those Buggy bulbs... Man, I'm so tired of this rotten weather.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

It's just gotta be almost over, doesn't it?

I haven't seen it this wet in the last 4 years. Our 2' of snow just melted and then we got a few inches of rain. This normally drains quickly.

Checkout the back yards in the upper right!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

How long has it been standing like that?

It just started to rain so 3 or 4 days.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Yeesh, looking at that I'd say your darn lucky Andrew.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Hmmmm, I don't know what to tell you. I hope they will be ok.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I have the same problem (only live about 25 mi. away from Andrew) but I don't have raised beds. I have a sempervivium bed and they are looking pretty sad - sort of look drowned. And sounds like we have a couple more days of rain and snow coming yet.

Quick build a lily ark!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.