Are your lilies sprouting?

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Look - last year's OT's starting to sprout ...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

And I was a bad boy today....I dug down carefully with my fingers where my remaining clump of "Silk Roads" was to see how the bulbs were doing - look at all the baby bulbs and you can also see the top if the huge bulb in the hole on the right with the thick stemp coming out, and another large stem in the hole toward the left. I covered it back up excitedly after I took a few shots.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Mine are bout 1 inch or so high so far...waiting and waiting and watching~~~.......someOTs, some Nippon, some Regale, some 'leopard' var. cannot wait~~! i dig aruond them too, thinking a little more sun will egt them a little taller, lol...

:D

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I guess we need to learn to be patient, huh fernman :-)

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

So far that I can see, I have Triumphator up almost 2 inches now and asiatic Sweet Kiss starting to poke through. I don't want to go stomping throught the beds and break anything!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I have nothing up yet, but a couple night ago I had a dream (nightmare) that I did.

VERY patient, Steve~i planted some orienpet bulblets too deep last year, I think, & cannot dig & replant them now for fear of hurting the little things when digging, so I will wait....taking pictures every week or so for my journals...
:Darren

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh sure Steve, just torture me some more!! :) LOL You've got peonies up and budded and now you've got lily noses... *sigh* It's spitting snow here... Odie well.... it's Iowa, give it 24 hours and the weather will change again! LOL

Diann

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

LOL well Diann...the ones from 2006 at least seem to be smart enough to wait until significant danger of frost has passed. I will have several Asiatics I planted this past fall that won't flower because the tops were severely freeze-burnt from coming up too early. It won't be long until you're going into spring yourself!

I take pictures to document everything as well, Darren - good luck to you on your lilies.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Steve, did it totally destroy the tops on your Asiatic lilies?? or just scorch them a bit?

My OPs and Star are hitting two inches now...plus just put in 3 new sets of 3 each, Regal, Nippon and Trycirtis... Whoosh i'm down for the count!
I'm gonna set in the garden and watch it all grow. Poppies, Columbines, a crossvine and some VERY spindly
passiflora cuttings....plus som daylilies trying to get there too!
Hang in there Ticker! All my Family is in Dubuque! I know your pain, lol...
:D
fernman23

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yikes, I just found three noses, and I wasn't even looking for them. I planted deep and covered with at least 4 inches of mulch in the fall, so I'm surprised. With this never-ending winter, I'd stopped believing in spring. Also peeled back some matted leaves and found sprouting bleeding hearts and columbines and geraniums. So, much as I fear for the lilies, it was an exciting morning.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi Ticker,

It scorched some a little bit and others it ruined the top 1/3 of the stalk including the buds. I know the bulbs will be OK but no flowers this year on those :-( Most of the lilies missed the freeze, thankfully!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, I'm glad that you only lost a few to the freeze and those will be back tomorrow. It's still cold here. Only 48 today. I really wonder if we'll end up having snow right up to May.. I know, bite my tongue.... *sigh* I'm so tired of cold and winter...

Keep posting pictures of your lilies, peonies and what ever else. We need to see some spring!

Diann

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Hang in there Diann :-) Your time is coming!!!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I've got a bunch of babies sprouting up in some older pots and in the front bed--a bit scrawny but I can wait:)
I saw a couple of the orientals in the back of the flower bed. In the back on the patio I've got a container of asiatics up about 3 inches. There are also 2 containers of what is supposed to be Triumphator. I got them dirt cheap from work where they were going to be tossed (3 bulbs for 2 cents). I have about 25-30 sprouts . I still have a bunch from co-ops to plant--including 3 new Silk Road lilies. Any advice on the Silk Road?

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Diane, know what you mean about trying to be patient. Don't think winter is ever going to lose its grip on Wi.
Nothing is even daring to poke its nose up here, but it will soon and then I will be running trying to get those dang flower beds cleaned up that didn't get done last fall.
I must quit buying plants also. Weak will power and body to go with it. No brain either.

Maxine

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

LOL Maxine I know what you mean about the last part of your post, We made a new bed and I had ordered a bunch of stull to fill it. About half of it is here. I then went to the nursery about a mile away yesterday and bought a bunch of Salvia, several Azalea bushes, a couple of rose bushes, and three flats of petunias. The bed is totally full and I still have lilies coming and about 20 daylilies (yeah I know you hate those!!) At any rate, I am not showing much sense right now either and have to stop buying stuff.

dmac, just plant the Silk Roads and go! Plant as you would any other lily but they'll eventually be a focal point and taller than most so I would keep that in mind. Very tough and very heat tolerant, Mine got to be 7' tall after three years and I had to stake them. I transplanted some to my new house in 2006 after I moved and they still hit 6'6" when they flowered in 2007. Tough, unbreakable, eyecatching, and the fragrance is to die for.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Maxine, sweetie, if we all had strong will power we wouldn't be much for perennial gardeners, would we? And I've met you, so, don't be telling me you don't have a brain. LOL I know differently. :) It will be good to see you at the Iowa RU in May, snow or no snow. :) LOL

Diann

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Steve! They'll go in the back of the front bed then and hopefully they'll take right off. I bought so many new lilies this year--I think I might have gone overboard:lol: if there is such a thing:)

I think I'm going to have to pot up some of the new lilies--the weather dude is predicting almost 4-5 days of rain so the beds will be much too soggy for me to dig in. Some of the lilies are already showing sprouts in the bags and I hate that...I always think it somehow affects how they perform later. Probably it doesn't but I have that thought lodged in my brain and can't seem to shake it:lol:

This message was edited Mar 30, 2008 11:53 AM

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks Diane!
they are predicting 4" of that white stuff here tomorrow afternoon and 6" at night.
Oh Mother Nature is just not going to five an inch this yr., oh well, I have plenty to in the house as still have another quilt to cut out and sew on my rainy days.

Maxine

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

It was 55 and dreary all day here yesterday - today it is aleady 90 and humid and nasty. I need to spread mulch but cannot get motivated.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Yeah, 90 and humid in Texas isn't any fun. It's not a whole lot of fun in Iowa, either.. But right about now I'd probably take it. :) LOL

Diann

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

90 already!? Yikes! Everyone here is all gungho for the warmer temps but my opinion is that the earlier it warms up, the longer and hotter summer will be.

We actually had very light snow flurries last Monday morning...nothing that stuck but it was like being in a shaken snow globe.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

It has been up and down like a yo-yo. We got the yard mowed and all cleaned up and now it looks pretty :-) It is supposed to be in 70's and high 60's rest of week I think.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I was just outside, it's still 49 here. I heard frogs down by the creek. Maybe, just maybe spring is coming after all! :)

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Well dmac, I am surprised you are having flurries in NC this late in the game - but then we had snow twice in March so I guess it is not beyond possibility :-) This has been a strange weather year.

See Diann - there is hope yet!! :-) The frogs do not lie!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

They may not lie, but they just might get their peepers frozen off! LOL They sounded so good last night.

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

I was put last evening fixing a drain spout, and saw this mound with a few lily leaves peeking out so I went over to check it out.

It is Casa Rosa and she is at least 4 inches tall and there are at least 3 stems maybe more. It is supposed to get down to 26 tomorrow night so I think I will have to find a big box or something to cover it with.

This one is always early but only one other lily is showing so far and that is in a southwestern exposure on a very slight slope.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Remember Wickerparker (and everyone), you need to mulch well after the ground freezes - not just a little crust forming on top. Otherwise you are holding the heat in, rather than keeping the winter cold in during the spring. If snow falls (and stays) before it is time for mulching in the late fall, than you probably won't need to mulch at all.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Darn ~ found a lily nose sprouting... Oh well, at least they aren't all up about 4-6 inches like they were last year.

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Moby, my triumphator are the only ones comig up so far about 2" as of yesterday.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi lav ~ Welcome to DG ~ so glad you found us! Wish you lived closer too. :)

Well I get to Lincoln alot so if you want anything on my trade list let me know I am happy to share! I have walkers low catmint and monarda I am dividing this spring. I also have some perennial onions and other stuff. Do you belong to the Lincoln gardening club?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

No I don't, but we'll have to get together sometime. Going to the Spring Affair?

yes but not the preview (is that what you meant?). I have to work night of the preview.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Ah... a couple other DGers and I will be there for the preview.

yep McGlory emailed me ... wish I could go but gotta work to support my plant habit lol

Poland, ME

Are your lilies sprouting?

It snowed today. Are you kidding?! LOL

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

It's 61 degrees here... :) It will be in the mid 40s tomorrow.... LOL No lilie noses for me yet, I hope. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.