So, what have ya done so far....

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Go to bed Sally. You can't really be up for the day can ya? Saw one other thread you were awake you insomniac.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

No I'm up for the night haw haw. Seems like I've had some later than desired nights this week, was yawning today so like a dummy had coffee this afternoon--
Then why are you up???

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Just unwinding on a friday. Was checking the forums one more time. Goin' to bed now. 'Night. Sweet Dreams. Don't let the bed bugs bite!

me too really..

Crozet, VA

I was up at that wee hour too girls, but am just now getting around to reading this thread.

Thanks for sharing you memory garden idea Becky. I like it a lot. Also Wrightie, thanks for sharing your reason for gardening. Good people, all.

Ruby

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think we may have made our last trip down to the bridge for stones for the new wall, or at least we are very close to having what we need for that project.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I went down and he hooked them up using a digging iron and some chains and towing straps. I drove the explorer and pulled them out. These are pretty good size. Nobody was going to carry them anywhere.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We have a friend that lives right next to the bridge and we pulled them up from the creek (one was actually in the creek) to the edge of his driveway. When we had what we wanted, we went and got the low trailer. It's not a real heavy duty trailer but it's nice and low to the ground. It was really loaded down glad we didn't have far to go. When we went back to the house for the trailer we picked up Josh too. Between the two of them they got them up on the trailer. These are the ones Ric really wanted.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

What the heck - what's the story on those massive stones, Holly? Surely they have been manually cut at some point - what are they doing in the river? Or are you two single-handedly dismantling the bridge? LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes we are dismantling the bridge. Well not quite but it does feel like it. LOL
About a 1/4 of a mile from our house they are tearing down an old bridge and putting in a new one. The bridge is concrete but the walls on each side of the bridge are cut red stone. We have been making trips down there every couple of days after the work crews leave to see what we could collect. If you look back towards the front of the thread you will see some other pictures of what we have been bringing home. These are the biggest ones we have gotten from there. I'll post a pic tomorrow of the whole pile.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, sugar, I missed the earlier posts - sorry! Nice score though! I'm green with envy.

When we were up in CT a few weeks ago, I was tempted to pull off the road and start grabbing big rocks from the roadside and stuffing them into the car. =)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

When threads get long you don't always pick up on everything. Poor Ric would love to bring the whole thing home. He has always wanted to build a cut stone fence down the front of the yard along the road. Might be 150 ft long. He has talked about doing it for years but don't think that will ever get built. Rocks are the main focus around here right now. We had those huge boulders for the pond moved in last fall. Then this extended section of the wall in front of the house. Plus I have been collecting stepping stones for quite sometime for the walk that goes around to the side of the house and even picking up round river rocks for another project. I know just what you mean about stopping along the highway. LOL I'm always checking out nice rocks and quite often bring them home from trips.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I started a thread over in Garden Art about this project and I thought you all might like to see it. BTW you can see the walkway I'm working on in this picture, too. I can move most of those rocks myself. Once I get them all laid out in the pattern I want I'll have to set them.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/831255/

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I love your rocks!! I am soooooooooooo jealous!! LOL Holly that is stunning!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Doccat, It will be awhile before Ric starts the wall. I really wanted to stain the wood siding last year and never got to it. Ric and I were talking yesterday. First we are going to transplant all the sedums from the old bed. They are the only perennial plants in the top of the raised bed. Then we will pressure wash the siding and stain it. Then he is putting some molding around the windows and adding the trellises that we picked up. They will hang next to the windows like window shutters. Paint the window boxes and rehang them with some decorative iron brackets. We hope to get that all done in the next 2-3 weeks weather permitting.
Then the old wall will get a little reworking and the plants will get removed from the lower part and base of the old wall. Then we get to start the new wall and back fill it. Then the real fun starts "PLANTING"
Wrightie, This is the rock pile. Ric wanted to neatly place them on pallets but I wanted them spread out on the lawn roughly where they would go. That way we could get a good idea of how many we would need. With the 4 largest ones it looks like we have about enough for the job.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

WOW! Serious rock envy here! Anybody want to join me with a block and tackle and a pickup( I have that)? We could go "visit" Holly!! grin Whada ya think?

Sallyg I was re-reading this thread and I don't know any tall women with size 12 feet but I know a few that are "round" enough. I wear a size 10 and I'm one of those "round" ones, LOL grin

We have brought rocks home from trips- pretty neat to see how they differ from our area.

I have a new development going in behind me- They use some kind of recycledmaterial for the temporary driveways- most of it looks like tumbled hunks of concrete and block but we found a lot of chunks about 2-4 inches in two dimensions and one inch thick , of granite or some stone and polished on one side. Mostly black, some other colors, some with orange flecks
Ahem, there are not as many there now.
They have security cameras there now, but nobody came knocking on my door yet, in response to me and three preteen boys leaving with three grocery store plastic bags, walking straight for the gap in orange plastic fence and path in the grass going straight to my yard...
We stay far away from the house in progress.
After this rain I bet they are so easy to spot, but it will be a mudbath getting in there

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

OMG Sally, Rolling on floor laughing, rolling on floor laughing, Picking myself up, falling back down, rolling on floor laughing. Sounds like very pretty stones must be granite maybe a by product from counter tops or something. I have a neighbor that put down what we thought was a white stone driveway. It really reflected the light and was very white and I'm thinking who would spend the money on that kind of stone for a long driveway. Then one day we pulled in the end of their driveway to turn around and realized that the whole thing is broken plate shards.

: ^)

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sally here you go, time to take a trip to Rock of Ages. http://www.rockofages.com/visitors/index.html

We took a trip and stopped to visit a long time ago, at the end of the tour they let us pick through a pile of rejects, I still have the chunk in the yard some where.

But then where is the fun of sneaking through the fence and grabbing a bag full. Do you wear all black and camouflage your face? LOL

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

This weekend I moved this two-ton pile of mushroom compost about thirty feet, and spread it around. I should have done it last fall! I didn't know you could have it delivered.

Thumbnail by claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Dug a bunch of flats of this stuff from a house I'm working on. They're going to pour concrete over the whole area in the future, and told me to take as much as I want. So I do. Eranthis hyemalis / winter aconite:

Thumbnail by claypa

claypa, that is lovely.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I need to order a load of leaf mould from the city. Thanks for the reminder, C.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Claypa,OHHHHHHH mushroom soil. Gleam in my eye. I've been thinking of having a load deleviered myself. Not ready yet probably next fall.
Nice plant haul. We did the same thing last spring when our neighbors moved the told us to come and get whatever we wanted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.