Dish Garden help?

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

That "Monet" bowl in the link above was created by this nursery in So. Calif.
http://www.cactuscenter.com/gifts.html

Tampa, FL

oooo, Sue that was cool! Shouldn't be to difficult ? All you need are the plants...can be ordered from many nurseries! sue

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

Oh, those are wonderful inspirations...thanks Elena and Calif_Sue for posting the pics!

Central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thank you guys! You are all too nice ;-))
I'll try to make something more interesting next time. Now I am just glad all my Sempervivum are still alive!

Sue, we also have very high humidity in summer (july mostly). I noticed that most Sempervivum sp don't like full sun, and I had to keep them under the table as we don't have much shade in backyard. But I have one kind of S. arachnoideum (sold as Cobweb cv from Big Dipper Farm ), which are tougth as nails! It was all summer in full sun/rain in plastic pot, and regular potting soil, and it was fine and grew! It might do well for you too. LMK if you want some (sure you can dig a hill for it LOL). I am going to plant some in ground this time.

Elena

Thumbnail by bagel_k
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I don't need to order from nurseries, there are enough nurseries here that I shop with that I can find them all.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

THis is a Sempervivum pot my girlfriend and I put together... lasted for about nine months... and then came summer here in Southern california... only about 7 or 8 of these plants are still alive, and all are green (no more reds). Oh well.

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

This is a Haworthia bowl I made recently, though my girl friend is really a genius at this sort of thing... we much prefer these community pots to the pots with just one plant in them

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

oops, forgot the photo

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Here's one she made

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Here's another pot of hers

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

This heartshaped pot was nicely and neatly planted a year ago... but a year of growth sort of makes it look a bit less artsy. Still, nice and healthy for the most part.

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Here's another succulent pot of hers

Thumbnail by palmbob
Lima, OH

All VERY nice, Geoff! The one in the heart shaped bowl and being "artsy". I think it looks great. Granted at some point it probably will not look so great but I like the filled in look. The have a look of being happy and well cared for. About the one with all the barrel type cacti line up in rows.....how is that one doing? How did you happen to have that many of the same kind? That one is just a bit TOO much symmetry for me but I'd be interested to see it down the line when they are all about a foot tall!

Sharon

Tampa, FL

I have always lusted after that heartshaped one palmbob? Have kept my eye out for such a container in my area...they just don't make 'em here. Love the red "budda" is so wonderful. And who would have thought the bamboo would look so nice in a succulent pot. Tell your gal...we so appreciate her "artworks"! sue

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

I agree, your girlfriend is very talented! Those are wonderful, and very creative. I'd have a hard time picking out a favorite, but I agree the red Buddha bowl is wonderful. They're all great. Thanks so much for sharing them here!

Tampa, FL

You know sheri, i only just now read the part about me being alive and kicking!! I didn't see that before, or i would have attempted a "humourous" reply...too late! I feel all warm and fuzzy now, that i was missed! heehee....one of these days i will take time to post a pic or two...you know how i love container gardening...as that is pretty much 90 per cent of my garden. ps my GIANT dish garden(which is really a place we took down a large tree and i used it to make a circular bed) that i did post a pic of awhile ago, is doing quite well, i do have one kalanchoe that is now blooming but looks out of place in my careful arrangement...it is so happy i don't have the heart to remove it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.