Does Anyone Have Their Magnolia Shoes On This Year?

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I just love 'Jane'! My favorite of the bunch so far!

Thumbnail by ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Last picture. Glad I got these when I did, the petals are starting to fall off.

Thumbnail by ic_conifers
(Zone 6b)

MOBOT and the RHS tend to be very conservative in adopting new classifications(ie. slow), which is probably a good thing for them, considering the enormous amount of records that would have to be updated/changed etc. I think it's also the nature of those 2 institutions. On the other hand, The Flora of China(ironically enough a joint venture between MOBOT and the Arnold(Harvard) Arboretum, and many Chinese institutions), UBC, The Hoyt Arboretum, JC Raulston(NC State) Arboretum, and many others all have adopted the new system. I guess as long as people know what plant they're looking for they should be able to find it under either the new or old names.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I agree and feel the same way about how the change is implemented. I'd like to make the change, know it's in the works and accepted elsewhere but....I must follow the reference databases and am ready to change them yesterday.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Finally, my time has come. Nothing announces spring like magnolias in their glory. Hopefully I am remembering who was who on my trip out today.

This is 'Betty' one of the little girls magnolias.

Thumbnail by magnolialover
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

This would be 'Pinky' up close of the blossom.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

It was pretty much fully loaded with flowers.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

This is 'Butterflies' , a favorite of mine.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

The picture is out of focus a bit (I hate it when that happens) but it the only one I took of the individual flower on 'Butterflies'.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

I think this one is 'Susan' but the tag on the tree was missing.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

'Elizabeth' , another favorite of mine. And the fragrance is amazing.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

'Elizabeth' again.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

One more time....

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Star Magnolia. Don't know the variety.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Magnolialover,
Thanks for posting the pics of 'Butterflies'. I planted an 8' tree last spring and the buds are just starting to color up. I would guess that I will have blooms within a week, if the weather holds (I'm not going to hold my breath on that, this spring.)

This is probably a stupid question, but do you ever go to Stonewall Nursery on Hwy 14, in Oregon, WI? It's a great place for unusual trees and dwarf conifers. I was there for the first time last summer. I am planning a road-trip this summer for a number of members of the MN Chapter of the North American Rock Garden society. I can hardly wait.
Mike
tl³

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Wow - they all are blooming at once. Quite a collection you've got. :-)

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

My 'Butterflies' is only about 4 1/2 feet tall and no buds this year. I hope I won't have to wait for it to double in size before I see some flowers!

I really, really liked the 'Elizabeth' pictures, magnolialover! Great pictures overall!

Elizabeth

(Zone 6b)

Fabulous photos Magnolialover!! You've got a nice collection.

Most all of the spring bloomers have finished down here and the first summer/late spring bloomers are just starting to open. Although a few of the "little girls" still have some late blooms hanging on. I really like all of them and they're so tough!

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Those was actually from the University Wisconsin -Madison Arboretum. It is about 20 minutes from the house and I take my kids there at least once a spring and once in the fall. The lilacs are just coming out too, so the fragrance in the air was just wonderful.

The magnolias at my house have not been around as long. I was so hoping my 'Woodsman' was old enough/large enough to bloom, but it looks to be leafing out, not budding out. My two 'Butterflies' are pretty young as well. 'Jane' is blooming at the house now as is 'Ann'. 'Ann' looks like she has had her best blooming year ever. My 'Elizabeth' is almost blooming, but again, not as mature as the arboretum.

Tree3, the place you speak of, Stonewall Nursery, is about 10 minutes from here. And you won't believe it, but I have never been there in all of the years I have lived around here. I should go over there one of these days. It always looks like such a humble abode that I feel bad driving in there. Though places that look like that are usually the hidden treasures.

Enjoy magnolia time ^_^

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Magnolia denudata 'McCracken's Variegated'.

Got this one this spring and it arrived completely shredded. Tons of new growth now and looking promising. Would love to see any other pictures of a larger specimen. Anyone?

This message was edited Jul 25, 2008 2:40 AM

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

HUGE colorful leaves. Anyone else growing this one??

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

That is gorgeous! What kind of flowers does 'McCracken's Variegated' have?

Elizabeth

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Nice! Hopefully you'll add images to Plantfiles. The second leaf looks mostly variegated. I'd imagine it prefers part shade?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm not sure about the flower. The discription said it get's "typical" magnolia blooms. Kinda vague, huh?

And yes, some shade is a must....

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Here's a new leaf mostly yellow.....

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Hi Todd,
Great pics. Thanks for posting. Did you get this from McCracken's nursery? I checked the hardiness of M. denudata and found it rated at zone 6 and zone 5, at the coldest. Did you get this plant this year or has your plant gone through a winter? Since you're in zone 5, you probably won't have any problems with hardiness. Beautiful tree.
Thanks,
Mike
tl³

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

HI MIke,

I actually got this from Rarefind Nursery. I spoke to them about hardiness and he said I should be fine. This will be the first winter here for it.....

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Okay, thanks for the info.

I see that McCracken's nursery has some "rejects" for sale for $35.00 each. (these are plants that are not as variegated as the plants that were sold for $150.00 each.) I wish I had the room to try one of these since it's such a beautiful tree with fragrant flowers.
Mike
tl³

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

How's your 'Ardis Dwarf' doing?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Okay, I guess. I have it close to the East side of my house where it's really, really protected and the tree still had some tip die back. It should do okay here since it's supposed to be a dwarf, but I'm pretty sure that the tree is not fully zone 4a hardy. Oh well, it won't be the first tree I've lost due to pushing the zone limits.

How is your's doing?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Mine is going strong. I "reshaped" it this spring as it was forking. I cut it back very hard but it's already 6' tall. Looks like it's going to be a nice tree.

Fort Worth , TX(Zone 8b)

Does anyone have "Bracken's Brown Beauty" manolias in their garden? I have seen this in my area (North Texas) but the plant was planted relatively recently. I read different things about how large they may grow. Could anyone who knows this tree advise me about that, and also tell me if the tree keeps a nice pyramidal shape naturally? I have been told they take well to trimming, etc., but I wondered how they look when left natural. thanks!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.