Does Anyone Have Their Magnolia Shoes On This Year?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Magnolia zenii @ UBC Botanical Garden

Thumbnail by growin
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Lovely!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Magnolias are blooming in Burlington, Iowa! Hubby and I drove down there today from Iowa City for a road trip. We got some great pictures. The town was literally abloom - almost every other house had a soulangiana or stellata in their yard!

Thumbnail by ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Close up of the first tree.

Thumbnail by ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Same yard - this was their other tree, also gorgeous. The house also looked onto the Mississippi River - I'm not sure what I would spend more time gazing at, views from both the front and back must be amazing.

Thumbnail by ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Close-up of the stellata.

Thumbnail by ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

This is a soulangiana a few blocks away.

Thumbnail by ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Another picture of soulangiana #2.

Thumbnail by ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Final picture - again of soulangiana #2.

Elizabeth

Thumbnail by ic_conifers
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Amazing photos! Thank you for posting them.

We are so far behind you, even in the same zone.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I think Burlington is a zone ahead of me, our trees are not doing anything yet, just bud swelling. So far, I have not seen any trees blooming in my area. Burlington is about 2 hours south of me, so hopefully soon.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I'm amazed how many flowers & buds are on the trees. Nice!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Where did the flowers go?

Thumbnail by growin
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I was processing this pic and noticed the Bald Eagle nest to the right side.
Magnolia sprengeri var. diva 'Claret Cup'

Thumbnail by growin
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Stunning! I love the dark, rich color of the 'Claret Cup' in that picture. While walking the dogs yesterday, my husband and I saw a small grove of three trees, the darkest and closest to red I've ever seen. They looked about 10 years old or so, just three of them. No idea what variety they were, but if I see something like that at a local nursery I'm going to snatch it up!!!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I wish I had somewhere to plant Magnolias. I really like where they planted this Magnolia - right next to a stream with the lower branches in bloom.

Magnolia campbellii mollicomata 'Bernie Hollard'

Thumbnail by growin
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

This Magnolia has quite the deep purple but the tender petals were mostly marked up with the frost/snow we recently had. These 2 blooms were the only blooms without brown patches.

Magnolia 'Apollo' @ VanDusen Botanical Garden

Thumbnail by growin
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

What I saw on the dog walk the other day must be related closely to 'Apollo'. I'm still waiting for the 'Jane' in my yard to open, it is almost there. We were supposed to have a hard frost last night, down to 28 degrees. I covered little 'Jane' in hopes that the damage would be minimal. Well, it only got down to 34 degrees, so YEAH the buds looked fine this morning when I took off the bed sheet. I did manage to knock one bud off with my "over-loving" but I'll just have to let that go!

Elizabeth

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Elizabeth - there's a Magnolia cultivar at the nursery I work at called 'Elizabeth' which is creamy white. The 'Apollo' is, from what I observed, twice the size of 'Jane' which looks like a bigger stellata but darker. http://www.magnoliasociety.org/checklist_docs/checklist_i_j.htm

Magnolia 'Jane'

Thumbnail by growin
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Love the one with the eagle nest nearby. Hopefully I will have something to share soon.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

'Ann' is getting close and showing some color now. It just needs to get warmer again, then we'll see her come out.

Thumbnail by magnolialover
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

This is the first year I've had my Magnolia shoes on and with the new camera, it sure is an eye opener.

Magnolia denudata 'Forrest's Pink'

Thumbnail by growin
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I was aware that there is an 'Elizabeth' magnolia out there. I've actually seen it for sale at a local nursery, but not in bloom. The pale color pictured on the garden tag did not really do much for me, but it might be nice out near the 'Jane' on the back end of our property. We also have a big redbud out there, so the pale might be okay with all the supporting pink. I jokingly tell others that when I have more space I need to have an "Elizabeth" garden - seems like it is a popular name for cultivars!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Magnolia 'Butterflies' is a beautiful yellow-flowered magnolia with rich yellow flowers. Hardy to zone 4a.
tl³

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I have a 'Butterflies' but no flowers this year - probably still too young. I just planted it last year. Maybe next year. My neighbor has a 'Butterflies' and said it was several years before hers bloomed. She also has a 'Galaxy' and this is the FIRST year it is blooming. The 'Galaxy' is about 15' high and 6' wide, and honestly I'm not very impressed with the blooms - they are dark but only about 5 on the whole tree. The only magnolia I'm adding to my yard this year is 'Kiki's Broom' which should be really interesting.

Elizabeth

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

An "Elizabeth Garden" by Elizabeth sounds like an article waiting to happen! The 'Elizabeth' looked ok - medium sized blooms and an ok cream colour. The 'Butterflies' were blooming their little hearts out in b&b at the nursery I work at, better than 'Yellow Bird'.

Magnolia acuminata 'Butterflies' @ the nursery

Thumbnail by growin
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

'Butterflies' is a precocious bloomer (blooms before the leaves appear) and 'Yellow Bird' is not (blooms at the same time the leaves are coming out so the blooms are far less noticeable.)
tl³

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

That article is not a bad idea...would be a lot more interesting than the normal boring academic things I have to write about. Maybe something to do next winter. I guess I don't actually need to have the garden to write about the different 'Elizabeth' cultivars!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

There's quite a number of them http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=elizabeth&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search&offset=0 and I'm sure I can get a nice pic of the 'Elizabeth' bloom later this week. You could always do an article about 'Elizabeth' in the Elizabethan Garden http://www.elizabethangardens.org/ - I wonder how many of the cultivars they have.

Magnolia x soulangiana 'Picture' @ VanDusen Botanical Garden

Thumbnail by growin
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Mine are starting to bloom.

LOL.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Another

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I'm not absolutely sure that I got the label on this one right but I like how the blooms sit on petals already open.

Magnolia sargentiana robusta Blood Moon - UBC Botanical Garden

Thumbnail by growin
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

That one has such beautiful flower form, doesn't it, almost reminds me of some sort of water lily.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

It does but I'm not absolutely sure I got the label right.

Thumbnail by growin
(Zone 6b)

It doesn't look dark enough to be M. 'Blood Moon' to me. Although, I've only been to the UBC Botanical Garden one time, a long time ago, the only M. 'Blood Moon' I recall was up near the main entrance. It could be just Magnolia sargentiana var. robusta.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Well, the M. sargentiana var. robusta's at the time I was taking this were kinda getting on and are like pink tissue dangling from the bloom. In some ways kinda messy. I wonder if I got it right or not. I'll have to go back and double check.

Michelia cavaleriei - I know it's not a Magnolia - well, for the moment, but I suspect it will be shortly.

Thumbnail by growin
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

This is listed as a Magnolia lilliflora (Koser) at the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Classical Chinese Garden in Vancouver. Not sure if the ID is correct so let me know if you think different. I thought it was a x soulangeana.

Thumbnail by growin
(Zone 6b)

You got me then, although I still say it's not 'Blood Moon', the flowers on 'Blood Moon' are a dark pink throughout.

Actually Michelia cavaleriei is already Magnolia cavaleriei. Michelia's inclusion in Magnolia is strongly supported by both molecular and genetic evidence and it has been published and is now widely accepted. The old Michelia fit in quite closely to Yulania(the precocious blooming Asian Magnolias popular in the West). The flower in your photo looks unusual for Magnolia cavaleriei though. The tepals on M cavaleriei are obovate(at least the several I've seen) and the tepals in your photo look nearly elliptical. Compare to the photos found here:

http://www.ncsu.edu/jcraulstonarboretum/photography/photograph_collection/photograph_collection_results.php?image=&date=&photographer=&personinshotnames=&country=&usstate=&city=&location=&garden=&building=&event=&keywords=&othernotes=&lecturetext=&allplantnames=&allcommonnames=&allfamily=&allplantnameserialnumbers=110340

You're correct to question the ID on the last one. I've never heard nor know of any cultivar of M. liliflora with white in their flowers. Virtually none have any light pink in their blooms. Although from blowing up the photo the flower shape definitely shows M. liliflora parentage, so it's probably either a M. x soulangeana or perhaps another hybrid involving M. liliflora. It almost looks like a hybrid between M. liliflora and M. 'Pegasus'(the old, and incorrectly ID'd M. cylindrica sold in the West, newer introductions of the "real M. cylindrica have been made within the past 10 years or so).

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Thanks kman_blue - atleast we both agree it's not 'Blood Moon'. I'll try and figure out what it is shortly.

Well, the Michelia in the MOBOT, RHS, etc databases are still Michelia. I checked again - just waiting for the change to reflect there to change it over. As for the ID, I do see a bit of what you mentioned. It also might be angle, lighting, etc.

Here's a closeup of the last one. Looks very much x soulangeana.

Thumbnail by growin
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Here are the pictures of my 'Jane' blooming in the yard. I planted her last summer in part-shade and she does not seem to mind the lack of full sun AT ALL. Pictures were actually taken on Monday May 5.

Thumbnail by ic_conifers

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.