Oh Boy! my 1st Morning Glories

Louisville, KY

It's such a thrill to go into the cabin in the morning and see whose awake.
I started these a couple months ago, in the coldest part of the winter and voila! they grew.

Thumbnail by Soulja
Louisville, KY

now the show.

Thumbnail by Soulja
Louisville, KY

and oh the morning drama.

Thumbnail by Soulja
Louisville, KY

got this one a little too late, but i like it.

Thumbnail by Soulja
Louisville, KY

Kikyouzaki mix, never thought they'd bloom so young!

Thumbnail by Soulja
Louisville, KY

more tomorrow ... and tomorrow ...
many thanks to Ron & Beth.

Thumbnail by Soulja
Louisville, KY

and finally my favorite so far.

Thumbnail by Soulja

Soulja, the Robin's egg blue color of the MGs is a keeper, nice plants there!

Joseph

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Soulja! Those are beautiful and you give me hope for mine!

I am wondering how you light them? Are those blue flood lights all they get? (along with the window?)

Louisville, KY

oh no, i had to turn off the 1,000 watt hps to photograph these. it's tucked up there in the peak of the ceiling pretty good after moving it up several times because it is so intense. the little blue bulbs (also radiant heater + humidifier) are for the babies. they're also surrounded by 3 windows up there on the countertop of what used to be my art studio....

not blooming just yet are the more rare (expensive) seeds i planted a few weeks after these. they seem to be slower growing, with deeper, heartier foliage: Ten Ten, Yohaku, Kikyousaki Ao, Senshu, ... also the seeds seem less reliable the more expensive they are (?) ...

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Soulja, all very pretty. I took time to drool over each and every one. LOL
Great job, congrats

Jackie

Louisville, KY

thank you all very much! here they are 55 days ago. cute little things.

Thumbnail by Soulja
Louisville, KY

this is not NOT mine (yet) I just love the picture and got 1 seed to sprout from the ($$$) pack of 3. anyone else with that experience?

Thumbnail by Soulja
Mesilla Park, NM

How beautiful.. looks like you have quite a bit growing there. I can hardly wait for some blooms but I have a very long way to go yet.

Dig out and see if you need to soak the other two seeds a little bit more or check to see if they rotted.. I had (Not this one) but others that completely disappeared from the cups. I checked the soil too. I'm thinking maybe a bug ate them or something.

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

They are so pretty and it will be spring soon Congrats
Kim(AKA) Dimmer

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well done!!! Welcome to the addiction! Lol.

X

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

OMG..those are really really beautiful !
LOVE the blue one which is your favorit the best even though they're all georgeous :-) Congratulations :-)

Since I am basically a beginner with MG's I have a couple of questions.. I planted some of the comman ones years ago just to get some quick results but other than that no.

But NOW :-) I am looking at them with a different eye.Now that I am studying the blossoms more closely I am hooked.Bought some of Jap.seeds several years ago and they almost all came up but then lost a few because our cat Foggy eat the tops right off them.Disappointing !!

Noticed you put 4 in a container.Are these plastic,wood or pressed paper cartons? Did you transplant them ? when ?

So appr.55 days with lights you reached these lovely blooms .Wonder how much time I will need until mine will bloom ?
Planted mine the end of february/beginning of march and hope I will be able to get blooms for June when my roses are blooming ? will container grow them so I can lugg the pots around.
They are on windowsills at this point.

What is the general consensus ? any information will be greatly and truly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brigitte

Louisville, KY

hi and thanks everyone, I'm just tickled to death about these! Thanks for all the kindness.

By all means, I would direct you to RON_CONVOLULACEA (sp) look him up on the member search list and check out his and Byndeweed Beth's posts, as they were so helpful to me. I just would keep the seedlings warm and humid. Ron made a little heat & (i used cool mist) humidity chamber for his, so i did too, enclosed in plastic. Use regular blue grow bulbs for the babies and near a window did seem to help mine. I had a radiator under the counter they were on. and kept them closed in but not completely because of fungus or bacteria. i kept some airflow.

They need like 75 or 80 degrees. Then when they get to where they need support, I transplanted them & moved them to the stronger light. (soon to be full sun! bout a month or so for us.) I also began to water less often so the roots could establish better. I hope someone will tell me if that's right and if i missed something. It worked for me!

i like the smaller japanese forms I'm working with now on these spirals and other bamboo and wire trellises I'm making. it's a fun topiary thing which came naturally out of my love for placing clematis with other bushes and trees and winding them up tall trellises, fences, poles, pergolas, etc... I moved a mature Will Goodwin and spun it around our 40 ft. potted bamboo. I just can't wait for that!

this is the chamber i made.

Thumbnail by Soulja

Very interesting lesson in JMGs, Soulja. Thank you.

So should I make up a little tent room for mine, too? Is that what everyone does? I have about 30 seedlings started and the basement seems cool to me...

Louisville, KY

very cool, as in cool, yes; ((but too cool temp. is bad... *smiles

i say do it, it's all the rage! haha! no i just got the idea from Ron, for all this stuff.
He teaches the teachers. He's loved MGs his whole life. he even said i could call him if i had questions! he's a good friend to have. But Beth's awesome photos are what inspired me, and emma grace i think and MGJapan and a few others i'm sorry i forgot the names right now.

trouble is there are no good books about ipomoea nils, good news is, it's all here!
good luck, it sure is a fun addiction so far.

also I grew up in Cinti, Forest Park and my 2 best friends are from Anderson Twp. (Consequently they both live here with me in Louisville now.) but I'm very familiar with that scenic part of town. My best girlfriend live on 8 or 9 mile rd. in an old old huge haunted white house. just extraordinary old gardens and paths and fountains and labyrinths and apparently an old civil war soldier harassing them every now & again... ha!

I will get my old sheets and table cloths out and start making a tent, then! LOL

Yes, there is much good info on the MG forums and I'm making 'tags' as I go along for future reference.

We live right there between 8 mile and 9 mile in Woodland Mound Park. There are some authentic pre-civil war farm houses and horse barns on these old roads that are very picturesque. Our home is one of 'tract' houses built in 1991 though (not so romantic and no ghosts). Lots of room to set up morning glory tents, though! We moved here 4 years ago from Los Angeles and find Anderson a very nice area to call home.

When you come into town with your room mates, stop by to say hello! (And give me advice on my Morning Glories!)

Louisville, KY

also I LOVE PICTURES OF MORNING GLORIES!!!
anyone who wants to post their favorites here would really make my day.
anyone else growing 'em this time of year? do share.
these were spinning up my cabin last year.

Thumbnail by Soulja
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Amazing, Soulja! I love the combo at your cabin too.

Louisville, KY

eglantyne i forgot to answer your question: (like i'm some expert, anyway) all plastic pots for me. from 4" to 1 ft wide & deep pots. once they needed a pole to climb I just flipped them straight over in my palm and made sure they were moist to keep the form and gently placed the whole cube (rocks in the bottom & all) into the bigger pot. I doubt the roots were disturbed much at all. (they hate that).

I have different color combinations in some pots. i will find out if 4 is too many... I will also find out if different size pots produce different size flowers or if the vines stay compact and flower more or less smaller pots... experiments help along with good advice. so trust me not for i know nothing.

Melbourne, FL

I've had some blooming outside for a few weeks now. Here are the ones that were open this morning.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

what are the names of those ?
You must have printed your photo's right away,they look great !

Louisville, KY

ahem... jealous!!! those look great, esp in the polaroid format; is that the real thing?
or a cool computer collage trick. regardless, i love it.

yeah, whatcha growin' way down there in zone 9b? and what are they growing on?

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Soulja,
I am just looking at your pictures again and I am so amazed that they bloom so young,on such short vines.
Did you take notes how old these were when they first bloomed ?

Louisville, KY

i had plans of keeping a photo journal, but ... i have a lot of plans... they started to bloom about March 1st - 4th. so on Jan 20th they had almost 2 sets of leaves so at about 40 - 45 days from the second set of leaves, a couple had flowered. the taller the vines / lgr. flowers, the longer they take. but some of those are surprising me. I'm also giving them super triple phosphate. too much nitrogen is not good i hear.

when i posted these on the thread that was after i missed a hand full that i could've shot several days earlier if i didn't go out of town.

I had no idea I'd get flowers on all the bases of the vines. It's never like that with the standards out in the yard huh?. The first flowers on these seem like preliminary test runs on a few, like the buds on the first sets are way smaller and less dense than the succeeding sets, and the lighter ones are just tints and glimpses of what's next which I imagine gets truer and deeper in saturation as the vine matures. but it's a nice surprise to have them so soon. some of these more compact varieties are carrying more flowers than leaves! and the varieties of foliage are a nice surprise too.

Learning about these elegant vines is so fun! Looks like tomorrow is gonna be another lesson and good day for several.

WARNING: the above has been a mere newbie observation and should not be considered didactic. The author is not responsible for blasphemy or its resulting fungus on your vines. {;-D

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Soulja - Your MGs are just gorgeous! And I love your set-up, too. Looks like an indoor greenhouse! :-) All those vines seem to be very, very happy and are rewarding you with some stunning blooms!

You mentioned on this post: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4667988 that you only got 3 seeds and paid $$$ for them. Just curious, how much did you pay? I think I saw them listed on ebay. I am wondering why they were so expensive?

Louisville, KY

Hey thanks Becky and thanks for all your helpful posts too! yep ebay. First i did regular old $5 a pack fujis & ensigns then i did the $12 per pack of like 10 or 15 seeds, like on the photo of the sprouts, then i sprung for others from Japan on ebay which were like $22 dollars. for 3 - 5 seeds. which i think is crazy but I've seen people pay up to $150 for a daylily!!!

update: i just went back & checked the ebay seller: some of the ones i got have dropped in price and there are some that are the same and some new varieties that weren't there back in early January. (aaaaah! i wish i didn't see those!) So I would like to assume the newer, the rarer, the more expensive... yet all that proves is that I'm an impulse shopper, or trendy.... (?) actually her photos sold me. i hope mine bloom like that. i think she hybridizes but i'm not sure.

Soulja - The MG I saw for sale on ebay was 3 seeds for $99. I thought that was a bit too pricey for my pocketbook. I was wondering if that was what you had bought. Yeah ... they ARE addicting. You can't have just one or two or three or twenty ... LOL! I have a binder full of different seed cultivars and there is always one more that I just HAVE to HAVE!!! I never thought I would say that about a plant! LOL! But there is definitely something unique about growing MGs!

We need a thread here for MG Addicts Anonymous. LOL!

Louisville, KY

oh I'll have to look for that! I saw them before for $50 for 3, but I know that if someone will pay, someone will sell... anything. (!!!) I felt bad for paying the $25 for 3 because I'm so new at it. just seems I'm spoiling myself a little early, like I have to earn it ya know what i mean? (I've grown the big ones outside for years. but, these are different.)

still, i should at least know i can grow these nils before i buy the rarest collectors items from the most distant shores... ha! guess i figured: they're seeds. they will grow. especially with the exquisite help you all have been doling out. many thanks and blooms away!

Soulja - I learned the hard way to NEVER grow all your seeds out at one time. Just in case something happens, you still have some back-up seeds! You are smart to grow them out one at a time. That's what I do now too. :-) I am sure all of yours will germinate and grow just as beautiful as those you have already shared photos of!

I need to get on the ball and start more vines too. Been busy with some other outdoor projects and just haven't had the time yet to get more seeds started. Gotta do it!

Very interesting. Can you tell who were those e-bay sellers? When I checked e-bay I didn't see these pricey JMGs...

I don't have any JMG pics to share, but my seedlings are coming along just beautifully. Knock on wood. I repotted some yesterday and I hope I didn't ruin their roots.

I did make the mistake in my enthusiasm of planting them all at once though. I can see now how that is a bit foolish. At least I can say I'm optimistic!

Melbourne, FL

Those are typical store bought varieties, and they are real. I go out every morning to check whats open. I used Picasa for the quick collage to upload here. Last year Lazlo gave away some seeds he gathered in Texas and my plants are about to bloom. I expect the first bloom in a few days. I'll be sure to post it when it opens. PS I have them growing on my back fence.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Gardenpom, You take some great pics. Thank you for sharing

Jackie

Louisville, KY

agreed. and I love the Picasa effect to show off your awesome pictures. Mind if I borrow that? Because I often want to post a few photos on threads at once but don't want to contribute to slow loading for dial ups, so that's a cool solution!

Does anyone (who knows) think it's okay to use Epsoma Organic insect spray for tiny mites in my soil? they're fast crawlers, like tiny spiders, and I'm not sure if they're doing harm, and i tried some spray directly into the soil on the worst one... any advice is appreciated. thanks so much.

Soulja-- you will love the Picasa download.

There are several kinds of collages you can create with it.

Not to mention easy editing of your photos. Lots of DGers use it.

Did someone already say it's a free download from Google?

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

I learned that at the rose forum last month,it is alot of fun but I really didn't know what I was doing but had fun anyway.

These are not my pictures,I don't think anyway.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.