R U Ready for Spring?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Morning everyone!

Sun is shining here in AuGres and burning off last night's frost. Yesterday hubby and I worked outside. He helped me cut down all my catmint plants I have along the drainage ditch. New growth is already coming up at the base of the plants. I had done a good fall cleanup but left my monkshood up over winter. I got in there carefully and pulled out the dead stalks. We then drove the RTV around and fertilized all the spruce trees with some Hollytone. THe daffodils are about ready to pop open and the tulips are up good. So far the milorganite and liquid fence has protected them from deer and rabbit damage. We go to pick up our new trees at the end of next week. I'd like to take a run over to West Branch Home Depot and pick up my soil and mulch. They have a really nice fine bark mulch I like. I want to be ready to plant when the trees are here and my roses should be coming soon as well.

I had planted all my phlox in bit 20 ounce cups with a hole poked in the bottom. I marked on the outside of the cups what color they were. I then put them inside trays on shelves inside the cheapie greenhouse I bought at Walmart and it stays inside the garage right by the door. In the morning I open the door and unzip the greenhouse and let them be till bedtime then zip them up and close the door. It's working great. I sure wish I would have bought a couple more of those when they had them marked down to $20. The phlox are growing great. When is everyone else going to plant them in the ground? Is it too early to do it now or what? I'm not sure. Maybe I'll wait one more week.

I'm so glad warmer weather is predicted this week. It's about time.

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Loon I was wondering the same thing about the phlox>>> Im not sure when to plant them outside. Mine are doing great also. I have them planted in peat pots and in my kitchen.... We had such a great sunny day today took the dog for a woods walk in the au sable land preserve.... Really pretty there. Enjoyed every moment of the walk.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

A shot of the lake there... Swan, wood ducks, mallards, we seen a raccoon, of course squirrel and great big honking geese!!!! Really nice its only about 20 miles from us.. Ronna

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

nice pics! Wish there was lakes here in NC. Few and far betweeen. Thats why MI is the best. A lake in every town!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yuo got that right flowergirl1!!!! My husband fishes some at qiut a few of them really serine and peaceful... The honkers are very loud. But beautiful to watch!!! Dont you just love spring time??? Ireally think they were looking for mates.... Ronna

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Our geese are building nests right now. The honking here is protecting territory. There is a couple that claimed the area right in front of the house. They will not let another goose in the area. Lots of honking, necks straight out, tongues wagging, biting, wings flapping, it is quite the show.
Between them, and the peeper frogs it is quite noisy outside.

I was at a home depot a few weeks ago and saw some little birds doing there courting. It was the cutest thing. The male was right next to me dancing around and didnt even care i was there. just love the birds! This is the time of year when birds get hit by cars the most i bet. All twiterpated!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

A while back I got the itch to plant something and planted a packet of African Daisies in a couple large low containers in the house. The delicate stems came up and where very crowded and tangled, so I carefully repotted them. I have several pots on the window sills and they seem to be doing great. Here is a picture of one of them.
(first time trying to plant from seed indoors)

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

African daisys? I bet they will be awsome.... Istarted some seeds in doors also for the first time and transplanted into peat pots boy the little stem are so fragile... I did some oats grasses and columbines... purple ones!!!! I like grasses but have lots of shade and these say very shade tolerant!!! They will make that rustling noise I like so well... Your look like they are doing great cpartschick!!! Cant wait to take them out and plant.. Have a great day its already really nice here. The heat started running I said no, no, no, Turned that baby down!!!! Ronna

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I love Afriacan daisys. Yours looks great. You will love it best of everything because you 'birthed' it by starting it from seed. Somehow you develop a closer relationship with those plants you start from seed I think.

Has anyone planted their co-op phlox in the ground yet? I'd sure like to know. I think they could go in the ground. They are perennials and should be able to stand a late frost but I'd like everyone's input on this before I start plunking them all in the dirt. Mine should be hardened off. They've been in the front of the garage by the door now and allowed to feel the outside temperatures. They look good and I think they'd transplant better while they are small. I think I'll check accuweather for the next two weeks nighttime temperatures and see if we're on a steady warming pattern here.

We had a doe laying down giving birth by my vegetable garden. There were about 4 or 5 other deer standing around her and when I let the dogs out they stood their ground and didn't move...........almost like they were protecting her. Usually they high tail it off to the woods. I couldn't see anything down there this morning but she's good at hiding the babes. We did have a bunch of noisy turkeys come out of the woods this morning. Everyone's in love and mating and having babies and know it's spring I guess. I love it all.

Yesterday DH and I drove to the Home Depot in West Branch and filled the pickup truck with nice pine mulch and compost and manuer and good potting soil. I wanted to get mine early i case they run out and don't reorder. Many stores seem to be staying "close" on their inventory of stuff because of the economy. I'm doing my part to keep it going. I did resist some of the beautiful plants they were bringing out though.

Hope everyone has a great day. We might get some rain I heard.

Brenda

How exciting. I love baby deer. So cute. I almost stepped on one last summer. The little baby just laid there very still even after i spotted her an crouched down next to her with my boss. So cute!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Pretty early for fawns. Usually they have them all at the same time and that is around the middle of May.

Thanks for the compliments on my little babies I am growing. I was just so happy they grew! Ü

Can't wait to plant the wildflower seed I got on sale. It is probably too early yet. I am itching.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Brenda, I planted all of my creeping phlox out on Thursday. They still seemed fine yesterday. All but my white phlox. All of my White Phlox showed up in the mail without any green at all on them. I have 2 now that are showing the tinyest bit of green. The rest I believe are dead. I've read the posts and it seems like I'm about the only only one with this problem. I can't understand why it was only the white ones. Ahhh, well, such is life and sometimes the co-ops too.

I saw creeping phlox for sale at Lowes yesterday.

toofew

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I planted my wildflower seed yesterday. We will see how that goes.
The ires and lillies are really shooting up with this warm weather. My honeysuckle vine has almost leaves, everything else still in bud.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

morning !! tofew I think I'm going to plant my phlox out to day or tomarrow they have been on the porch for a week now and still look great sorry to hear about the white ones I was to late to get some of those I would not give up on them just yet though
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm thinking about planting my tall phlox out today. They'll be in a raised bed that usually stays warmer than ground level anyway. All my other perennials are up and doing fine and perennials can take a late frost without too much damage. I would like to get them planted before verything gets too big in that bed and I have a hard time manuerving around things without stepping on them. My daffodils are all blooming and so pretty. They are in that raised bed also. I wish I hadn't bought so many plox. I think I have 50 to plant. :( What was I thinking. ha ha ha

Have a great weekend. Hope we get some rain.

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh Brenda have fun I just got mine planted and took some to my sister and binlaw (gardenerbill) he diden't get signed up soon enough so I made sure he got some its just wonderful out side the little mister is hooking up the hose to the new well bib now if I could get the dirt for the back yard I'd be a happy women LOL
Gloria

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

now I know it is spring these were Given to me last fall so not sure of the name think they are from the brunnera Family ???
but they are so pretty in bloom :))
HAPPY GARDENING JUST HAD TO SHARE WITH YOU :)))

Thumbnail by deejay9
south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

deejay...looks like pulmonaria to me!! Mine spreads around..not invasive..just nicely!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

yes pulmonaria for sure-i luv those babies!

Yes I was trying to think of that name pulmonaria But it just would not come to me thank you all & I would love to get lottsa More of these
I got these from a swap last fall I do hope I can find a few at my swap in June :))

we its a great day & I have to go thank you again sarv & not :))
susie

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I didn't get a thing done today. I did take some pictures of my little granddaughter though in front of my daffodils.

Thumbnail by Loon
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

One more.....

I planted hundreds of red tulips in there last fall but they aren't blooming yet. They're up though. Won't be long. I can't wait to see how it will look when they're in bloom.

Thumbnail by Loon

How cute she is! Im gonna see my little nephew for the first times since he was one month old. He is gonna be 8 months old!!!

Thumbnail by flowrgirl1
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

deejay those are davids wort i believe i have some and love the color of the flowers they almost glow so vibrant. Loon you GD is just adorable!!!! Loon did you plant the phlox??? I did and enjoyed every min. of it:):):) They were looking kinda scraggly but when I got them in the ground they purked right up. Look at my sedum dont they look like a bouquet of roses?....dont you just love the looks of spring???? Sp pretty.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Flowrgirl, have fun visiting with your little nephew. He's a heartbreaker!

No, I didn't get around to planting my phlox. Tomorrow morning for sure. I did give them a good drink today though. Hubby said he'd plant for me so I took him up on it. I'll hand him the plant over the fence while he's in the bed and point to where to dig the hole. :) Yes, those sedums are adorable. I have the autumn joy sedum that I love but so far the deer much it down every year before it gets a chance to bloom. :(

Can you Believe I have a Daylily Blooming today yep its true here it is & what a surprise for it is only about 3-4 in high just waking up from winter
but it is there . Just had to share with you all before I say good night :))
oh thanks ronna for the info I just love them .
Happy Gardening to all .
susie
SARATOGA SPRINGTIME

This message was edited Apr 21, 2008 9:11 PM

Thumbnail by deejay9
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

If there is one thing you can't trust, it is the weather. We can get used to this nice stuff so quick and then boom, below freezing again.

After a week of looking at my poor plants sad faces for being inside looking out at the sunshine, I broke down and put stuff outside. The hybiscus, the 90 lb pot of gerainiums, all my little pots of african daisies (that I now see little buds for flowers on).
I keep looking at the forcast and the lows are in the 40's.
I will just have to keep a close watch on the weather. I guess I can make a tent to cover the gerainium. That won't be moved again.

I see buds on my paper narcissus (sp) and the stuff is really shooting up. Got leaves starting on liliacs and honeysuckle.
Spring has Sprung! We deserved this nice weather after the winter we had!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I remember snow in May......LOL

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Loon, what do you plant in your tulip/daff garden when they are done?
Beautiful GD and garden bed by the way.
toofew

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have seen it snow on my bd in may!!! so anything can happen!

i could use a snowday im so sore and tired from tilling and raking!!
i think im on my 9th tank of gas in the mantis! still LOTZ more to go...................!
why did i make myself all this work!!!!!??????

have fun-going to be a great day!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Dorie just think of the body your going to have this summer LOL
Gloria

Thats what im hoping for. I wonderful slim, muscular figure! I have been fattening up all winter! As soon as i get home its all business!LOL Im gonna lose 25lbs dang it!!!

Work, work, work, plant, plant, plant and excercise during the week after work. Going for lots of walks and some sit-ups for sure! Im too young to hate looking the mirror!
michelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.