...and while we tap our feet waiting for spring...

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Oooo...now I'm jealous. I love bougainvillea.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Everyone is on the right track about whorled leaves. It is, as gemini says, that the whorled presentation of leaves use light more efficiently than leaves scattered all about the stem. In case there is still any doubt, see here http://www.life.uiuc.edu/help/digitalflowers/picts/Vegetative/54-%20Whorled%20leaves.jpg

Revclaus, burgundy spots yes, butter yellow no. The yellow is deeper. It is an old cultivar, from way before 1970. That is when it was given to me, and it was common among lily enthusiasts at the time, even though pollenless lilies must have been rather rare then. Notice this one is not like the pollenless lilies of modern time that have not anthers at all. This one does, and seems to try to make pollen, but only a tiny bit.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

hello, dear laura. let me hear what is keeping you there until fall.

thanks for the picture rev. if i can find some leaves on my lilies i will look to see if i have any like that.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2008 9:08 PM

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

my lovely worms. I couldn't leave them so soon, especially in the summer.

So if the first little head that comes out of the ground gets knocked off, is the lily done-for?

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

and how did that happen?? do tell!!

=^..^=

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Well....when bunnies have chewed the tops off, and last when when the late freeze turned the tops of 75% of my lilies to mush, that was it for '07. The good news is that lilies will usually keep actively growing underground, and return fine next year. I've forgotten where so many of those are now, my yard is going to be full of surprises this year!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

So no bloom for me this year, but for whoever is here next. That's good.
I don't know how it got knocked off. It could have been a canine bigfoot illicitly in my dog-free zone, or a mouse. No rabbits (but I dreamed of them this morning!).

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Maybe a dingo ate your lily.... J/K.... could help myself. Is a line from Seinfeld for those who don't recognize it. Sorry about your lily 4paws.

I have roaming dogs that from time to time trample my gardens. But the moles here are horrible. I remember several years ago when I first planted bulbs here. The squirrels must have been watching me. They dug up all my calla lily bulbs. Some had little bites taken out of them. But they left them. I just had to replant them. The squirrels have pretty much given up on the battle we've had going for a while. My plastic owl with a rotating head seems to help... I call him Hooty. They would and do still dig in my pots on the porch. I've found Hickory nuts they've put in my pots that sprouted.

Donna

This message was edited Mar 17, 2008 6:21 PM

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

hickory nuts? you got any trees?

The hickory nuts do sprout and try to grow... but I don't have room for a hickory tree. The actual trees are in my neighbors yard. I do have a few live oaks.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well you need to go on a night mission and dig me one up. hickory nuts are one of those things that remind me of e.v. adams, my grandfather. he was the love of my life when i was growing up. i named my daughter e.v. (pronounced evie) savanah. which she hates as the kids say
E - V . just .2 letters away from evil." lol.
i bet they won't grow in my soil though. prob. need acidic soil.

Dig you up a hickory tree? They are 50' tall easy. I have the nuts that do sprout, as the nuts fall all over my yard as well.

Donna

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well, then, don't do it. lol but i might have to research to see if they do need acidic soil and if not i might have you send me some nuts.

I can send you all the nuts you want!! Now about the hickory nuts.... LOL.

Donna

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i knew when i said that that was going to be too easy for you. lol.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh dear,....she's already pretty nutty...LOL

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

o.k. i'm back to wanting you to dig me a "hicker" nut tree. and neal, you can just stay out of this. thank you both in advance. lol.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

hehehe..sorry, I couldn't resist!

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

me neither. lol.

where do yall get that "hee" as in teeheehee is spelled "he"? i see that everywhere and so i just have to know. the things that take over my mind....lol.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

It's the first day of SPRING everybody! We don't have to tap our feet waiting anymore. Things are coming up everywhere. One of my columbines that I didn't know if it would come up or not due to late transplanting last fall showed its first green today!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Hooray, it's spring and give mama lots more aggravation...tehE!

My potted First Class are about 5" tall now and a clematis survivor from last summer's co-op has grown about 8". Wow! I might have a clematis! There is one more of 16 that lived til fall-don't see any growth yet.

I love spring. TeHe.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

4paws so happy for you I'm still waiting to see if any thing I planted last year (sigh) send pics so I can get insperation or at least some hope I have the whole back yard to redo this spring!!!!
Gloria

I always assumed the people writing hehehe were really saying Hey hey hey, instead of heeheehee. Never made much sense to me, but I can be pretty dense when in comes to that stuff and shorthand acronyms.

Usually I eventually figure these things out by my self, but after years of trying to figure out what :), :(, :>), etc. was, I finally had to ask someone. And if you think about it, hehehe could be thought of as the pronoun "he" said three times. (And I have this mental image of someone pointing at him him him.)

FYI - the musings of a whacko, and proud to be one.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

And where would we be without ya, Lefty? :)

Fox River Valley Are, WI(Zone 5a)

@:8*)

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

GARDYLOO...

intercessor, i hate that. did paws tell you to do that? it'd be just like her. now what is that? crossed eyes? that don't make a bit 'a sense. is that 8 the nose or the mouth or what? i am sitting here at my computer with my head cocked sideways trying to figure it out.
and lefty they ain't saying "he". they are saying "hee". so why do they write "he"? it don't fit with tee though anybody can plainly see. now mistygardener claims to have an online source supporting her choice of writing "he" but still you can see it don't fit. plainly.

and paws we got competition in the worm-off. forgot her name but she's got big claims. you worried?

There has got to be a texting acronym dictionary somewhere for us "idiots", Mamajack. The first thing that popped up in google that I thought would fit the bill was titled "IMING FOR DUMMIES". It turned out to be a stupid archived instant message conversation. What was really funny was that they didn't abbreviate swear words.

Yup, I see where their priorities are. Don't want any part of it.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

But sometimes I feel naughty. >:)

Get an emoticon education here ~ http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/smiley.html

This message was edited Mar 21, 2008 7:06 AM

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Here's another one:

http://www.netlingo.com/smiley.cfm

That is me with my Charlie brown hair and my glasses on my nose.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Mamajack, GARDYLOO...? better get out your umbrella folks, or don't walk under mamajack's windows!!!. teeteeteeheeheehee

A little color for a drab spring day... I might use this one on a for-sale flyer.

Thumbnail by intercessor

Or this one...

Thumbnail by intercessor
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Very pretty. Just love all your bright colors. I think it would make a great flyer - shows you are selling a home and not just a house.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Such a beautifully designed planting! Love the colors and nice contrast of forms.

Those emoticon sites are hilarious! (If I ever use them, mine will be from the lefthanders point of view.)

Who are these people that have way too much time on their hands?

Andy, I vote for picture #1. Great idea!

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

intercessor, if you weren't in wisconsin and i had some money i would buy that place from you. it is really pretty.

dawg, i see you got my warning. lol.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

whatsa hosehead?

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

Are the lily bulbs late getting to you Neal? Have you heard anything from them?
It's past mid March so I thought we'd be hearing they were shipping soon.

Thanks,
Joy

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Joy, the bulbs ship to me today :-) I'd posted on the order and chat threads that I delayed shipping 1 week, as I had an out of town trip planned for this past weekend (which ultimately fell through) and I thought it may help everyone get caught up with bulb planting. I expect them Wednesday...I'm so excited!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.