...and while we tap our feet waiting for spring...

somewhere, PA

Revclaus - I checked my records and the only help I can give you
is that it was part of Van Engelen's "Lily Asiatic Low Growing Mix"
They don't list the types included

http://www.vanengelen.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Item&_recordnum=7120&_category=Lilies:Hybrid

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I know that mix, and had planned to order it for next year. I think it's a beauty.

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi tammy - can that be a dwarf black bird? I have some growing here in a pot. I'll try to get a picture before they finish flowering, but might not find the time because DH had triple-bypass surgery on the 21st and life has been pretty crazy ever since. But, you might want to look up pix of dwarf black bird and see if those resemble yours.
jo

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm way late posting to this thread. Most of the lilies are on their way out, but since I was strolling in the garden today I snapped a few pictures anyway. I'll also extend apologies for the picture quality. I'm not sure which is worse my photography skills or my camara, but I say we blame it on the camara. ;-)

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I also apoligize for my newbiness in not keeping the names straight.

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

:-)

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm afraid the color is really bleached out in this picture....too much sun me thinks. The lilies are really a beautiful, almost iridescent orange-peach color.

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

This may show the color better.

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

And one last picture.

Now I will once again display my lily ignorance by asking what one does with the foliage after the show is over. Can I cut if back or should I leave it standing?

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

Lala_Jane
I love your combinations! I don't know the answer to your question but I bet somebody else does.
jo

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

You can trim the tops just below the blooms. The rest of the stem needs to stay until it dies back in the Fall. This will feed the bulb for next year's growth.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Good job, La! Beautiful gardens, and I especially love your pink bed!

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone!...although I sure was hoping for a different answer regarding the foliage. The pink bed is in front of the house which means after they're done blooming it's not going to look so great. I will have to give this one some thought. Hmmmm.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

You might consider some monarda or tall phlox to mix in with your lilies to hide the stems.

Eureka!! ...my first time growing lilies.... and they're so fragrant!

Thumbnail by
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Good job!!! :) Welcome to the addiction! :)

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Uh Oh . . you're a gonner.

Thank you for the welcome.... and you're both right..a new gardening addiction I'll welcome with open arms! ;0)

Hope you have LONG arms . . .

somewhere, PA

I think my favorite is Cavalese. Oh its glorious here with all the lilies in
bloom.

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

This is a picture of my "rose garden" that has become a "rose, peony, lily"
garden. The lilies are from a mini-coop Neal ran a couple years ago. Its the
first time they all bloomed - the deer got them the two prior years.

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Lilies right off my deck

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

the mono lisa's are in bloom up by the road

Thumbnail by Tammy
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Adorable Tammy!

Great pics!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Love your stone wall too!

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Dizzy...

=^..^=

I am in lily heaven with all your bulbs Neal! and the other two co-ops too. Yours are fantastic though!

Thumbnail by 9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

and Angelique is just the cutest little thing. Just sweet!!

I didn't realize how small she was going to be and put her in a big pot with a big neighbor lily. LOL

Thumbnail by 9kittymom
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Tammy, what a great show you're getting this year! The deer have finally taken pity on you, LOL. You have such a perfect setting to show them off too. A friend of mine who lives in the woods has been having lots of problems with the deer where her roses and veggies are concerned, but they've left her lilies alone- isn't that odd? Oh, and did you see your birthday thread on the Bulbs forum? I think we had a "party" without you, LOL. Hope you had a great day!

Susan, so glad you're enjoying your lilies :-) Dizzy is one of my favorite Orientals, sooo dramatic! I planted mine along side Rio Negro and a couple of special 'Tiger Move' from Faraway Flowers, all against a backdrop of a blue spruce- anxiously awaiting as I watch the buds swell. Yours is the 2nd pic I've seen of Angelique- can't wait to see mine open! Such a sweet little thing! Its interesting to me how they are varying in bloom times around the country, and I've noticed some in pots bloomed a couple of weeks before those in the ground even though they were potted up after the others were planted.

Have any of you had a deep red Oriental from the Wooden Shoe co op open yet? I was quite the slacker, and didn't label any when I planted them, and have the most gorgeous, sultry deep solid crimson Oriental blooming. Its resisting fading in the sun beautifully. I'm thinking its either Dynamite or Sumatra; looking forward to comparing it to pics of others. Snapped a couple of shots of it, but having issues uploading pics from the camera for some reason, hopefully can figure it out today.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Since this thread is so long, and since we're no longer "tapping our feet", lets continue sharing our pics here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/869787/#new

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I zipread the thread and didn't see an answer to the lily stake question.
I once had a Trumpet "White Henrie" that bloomed so heavy I had to stake it with "rebar" (saw it on Victory Garden in the 70's)
This drawing is how to do it, No point in trying to straighten the lily, just keep it from dropping to the ground.
Jo Ann

Thumbnail by ge1836

Jo Ann, I had a Samur fall over this morning from the weight of the blooms. I used a steel stake with a small ring at the top, big enough to hold the stem. Turns out the stakes I've used for years are too SHORT!! A trip to the garden center today is in store. I'm hoping they have a lot of TALL metal stakes, but it's probably too late in the year to find any.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't bother with bamboo either, rotts too fast.
Go to Home Depot or any type store LOWES too. and buy 1/2 inch Rebar comes 10 feet long. When I was young and strong I bought them and cut off a coupla feet,by the time you get it in the ground you will have at least seven feet for support, I use clear or white Cableties to hang them up.
I use cable ties for all plant supports.
NOT for this purpose but shorter I found some bundles of bamboo for $6.00 at MARSHELLS here. they are for shorter OP's found them in the home furnishings section.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Regarding: When I was young and strong I bought them and cut off a coupla feet, take heed !!!

Rebar is made of extremely hard material. It is VERY difficult to cut manually. You might want to go an easier, less permanent route.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just cant cut the rebar anymore or lift and haul it.I'm well over 50.
It's steel ,I used a hacksaw when I did cut it.
I'll find bamboo even if it only lasts a year or so, in fact I will take the bamboo "blossom" supports out of the ground in the winter.I have other metal supports for all the tall lilies that mark where they were planted.
Thanks for your response.
Do you have any other suggestions?
I didn't want to seem as though I had solved the question.

Even my current stock of bamboo stakes weren't tall enough! Yesterday I did go to the garden center, but I forgot to get stakes. :-(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.