Drinks & snacks on Feb 8 at the Willard (14th and Penn. DC)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ok, well you can't blame us for trying.... so next time will be the charm.

I will confirm on Thursday, but if I can't make this one, please post notice of the next.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

We will -- and I hope you can come!

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Is it that close to the White House?? Could we possibly get a table by a window with a view?? I've always wanted to get a foot into that Rose Garden... Just a thought-- wonder if we can muster up a group to get a tour?? I know you have to have 10 or more people approved by a Congressperson to get a White House tour and have to book a couple of months ahead of time........

Happy, is the place usually crowded on Friday afternoons? Can we get away with jeans? It sounds like a more snooty type of place.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm wearing jeans. They have 3 places we could go, as I understand it (I just got off the phone with them): Willard Room restaurant, the Round Robin Bar, and their "classic French bistro" Café du Parc. The Williard Room is stuffy and has a dress code. The Round Robin bar doesn't; nor does Café du Parc. Round Robin Bar sounds like the place to me! I don't know that it has windows though. There's a place at the Willard I've gone to there for lunch pretty often, but I don't remember it's name -- I'm guessing it is the Bistro. No windows there. I've usually gone for employment-related discussions, so I was distracted.

The Treasury Department sits between the Willard and the White House. I'll try to stop by before Friday to check it out and figure where we should go, but I'm not sure I'll be able to; I'll try to remember to make a reservation as well, if they take them. And I'll send around my cell phone to those of you who are coming. I'm sure the bars will be crowded on Friday, but I wouldn't think it would be crowded as early as 4. I don't know for certain. But if they don't have room, there are pleanty of places we can go to -- for example, the Old Ebbitt is just a block or 2 away.

A WH tour would be fun -- I don't know if they do Rose Garden tours, but we have a lobbyist at my firm who'd probably know . . . or I can call my Congressman.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

The Round Robin does have windows, however it is on the opposite side of the bldg to the white house, so the view is more to the South and East. I wouldn't hesitate to wear jeans to the Round Robin. In fact, I believe that I've gone in there following a run ... in sweats. It's a wonderful place, imo.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Just a thought-- wonder if we can muster up a group to get a tour?? I know you have to have 10 or more people approved by a Congressperson to get a White House tour and have to book a couple of months ahead of time...

Um I can ask someone at work......

Thanks, Happy & Jean!! This hamster of an idea has been running in the wheels in the back of my head for some time. But the requirements are like going for the Princess on the Glass Hill: first, you have to find 10 or more like-minded people who want to go at the time you do and are approved by Congress!! Seems impossible!! Book 6 months in advance?? Impossible. Be willing to get bumped?? No.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Regarding tomorrow's festivities, if you've never been in the Round Robin, it is located just off the East side of the main lobby. If you enter the hotel via the entrance to the main lobby, it is off to the right-hand side. It is a cozy little bar, so I figure that if for some reason it is overly crowded, then we can spill out onto the couches in the main lobby ...

Germantown, MD

Darn it! I spend the week of spring-like weather puttering outside and missed this message until right AFTER the event. Do tell how it went and if there will be another!

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Amy

The event is tomorrow.. Please come

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Please please come! We are right off Metro Center -- so easy to get to! And there will be another on (I think it is) the 29th.

I don't think that I can make it, but I'll buy a round next time.

-A

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

BUMMER!!! I'm so sorry to hear that!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd like to think there is some ambiguity there, and you might still be able to make it! You don't have to decide until the last minute!

Okay, but don't hold out. I just didn't want anyone looking for me if I can't make it. But give me more warning next time, and I will set aside time for sure.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ok, consider yourself warned for the 29th. Are you "watching" that thread? And can you make it to Critter's on the 23rd?

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Okay I am wearing black pants and a merlot colored sweater. My mom might come. I am trying to get her to come out. She does not do anything. I hope you all do not mind.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

We would be deee-lighted to have your mom join us. And tell her that even if we are drop dead dull (speaking of myself), the Willard is stunning.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2008 7:29 AM

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

She does not do anything but walk her dog.... I am trying so hard to get her to meet people and hang out. She works, plays with her dog, and that is about it. She thinks it is sad that her daughter has to bring her out.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL -- Your mom sounds groovy. What kind of puppy does she have?

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

She has a westie.. A spoiled rotten westie! My mom is cool. She is a security manager...

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

OMG, please ask her to bring the spoiled rotten pooch. lol

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I do not think they would let her in the bar. HAHA she will be coming from work.. I am trying to make her leave early because of her hours. She does not take vacation anyway so she can slip out 2 hours early for once.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Sounds great. Tell her that being with us is just like a vacation . . . .

I'll need to check the other thread.

Thanks. I hadn't realized that I was operating in two threads.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey, that was fun seeing everyone tonight -- I'm looking forward to more of these gatherings!

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I thought you were at the game!!!

I had fun. Thanks for letting me hang out

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Me?! No, I had a date with DH.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh crap... I was not looking at who posted. I have names and names messed up... aaaahhhhhhh

Yes, it was good to meet all of you and I hope we can do it again later on. It was a gorgeous night to go out, too!! The Round Robin is a nice place, and wow, in a really snazzy hotel!!!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

It was me who was at the hockey game. But I am no hockey fan. The players fight, the fans scream shrilly and shout obscenities. I'll take a good soccer game any day.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, yes, soccer fans are so well known for their restraint. *snort*

Still, it's not hockey. I do like soccer!

So... who all ended up at the Round Robin yesterday??

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

We had a great time! We were:

me
Wrightie
Foxnfirefly
JennGroves and her mom

And we did not have enough time! I had so many questions I wanted to ask everyone!

The funny thing was, there was an article in the paper yesterday, with photos, mentioning the very bar we were in!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Cool! I'm glad Jenn persuaded her mom to come along... I'm hoping to see everybody on the 23rd, although I know Wrightie is a long shot, unless she can get the breeder to let them come up earlier...

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Heh, well believe it or not ... it may not work out to go up to the breeders' that wknd. They will get back with us, but there may be a problem there. I'll tell you what, if I am free to come up on the 23rd, then I will make scones that morning and bring them, along with all of the accompaniments.

Back to the Willard -- they serve a very lovely High Tea there, so if anyone would care to go back for that one day, consider me interested...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Well, I refuse to be happy that there is any delay at all in your getting to meet the puppy of your dreams... But you know how delighted I would be to see you that day (even scone-less, although I admit your recipe made me drool like, well, like a great dane pup)!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wrightie: I will, of course, be delighted to provide transportation to you (and anyone else who can make it either to Wrightie's house (if she is going) or mine, or is even vaguely en route); but I hope this isn't a setback.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.