January Thaw,Peek at Spring,but snow returns

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Don! I knew you would have the answer, and other ideas if this was a bad one!!!!

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Tammy you do carpentry also..hotdog!!! ;0)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

And I even have some extra lamps! :)

Sounds like a good day...sprouts popping up and a way to warm new ones!!!
What a great idea. :)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I built one with a lamp,and Patti stole it from me to use it to trace quilt patterns on!!!!
Never got around in building another one,and she hasn't used it in months,you'd think she let me have it back,NOOOOO!

Hahaha dontcha hate when that happens? :)

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Don...we could see lights down in New Madison from up here on the hill! But all around us was black. Plants are ok. It never got below 55º in the house. But when it's only 8º outside...that feels pretty cold!!
We are on an electrical coop here in the country. They buy their electric From Dayton Power and Light Co....and I was told that DP&L had two poles that snapped in the wind, and caused the problem.
Anyway...had the stove going all day, and it sure felt good. It heats most of the house, once it gets going good. Furnace hasn't run at all!
In Kettering ...they had a tree that was 8ft. in diameter, blown over! Uprooted it! And it was over a hundred yrs old! Some wind huh?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, that's what I did..I had my little heat pad - woke up, turned over and slept . Something about cold weather makes me just sleep.

Tammy- the waterbed heater is probably pretty warm...and without having to fiddle with the wiring I found a nifty trick out last week with my dog heat pad beds I'm using for seed mats. I had bought a timer at christmas for lights, that has 48 on off settings. I plugged the timer into a power strip and the mat to the strip, set the timer for 1/2 hour on, and hour off...it's worked like a beautiful charm!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Poor, poor Don! Just go take it back since she isn't using it! LOL
Rj, where did you find a 'reasonably' priced dog heat pad? I looked at Wal-Mart and they didn't have any, and the ones I see on the internet are ridiculous. I would love something 'easy' and safe, for sure, then I might actually get these seeds that Don sent me to germinate! LOL I am thinking they do NOT like me!!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I got it at skycraft parts and surplus
http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=784
$7.95...don't think it gets any more economical than that without being free!.

hope that link works...you have to wire up your own plug..it takes 30 seconds, and easy to buy at any harware store.

Also..you have to check out the red led traffic stop light...you also have to wire that one up, but it's water tight and it makes a great garden light...I have one shining on the pond fountain. I'll post a picture...usually the water is sparkling red..but I need to clean the filter...this was last weekend..the kitty went down for a drink..and captured the picture. but I love the led traffic light...I'm getting more. They only have red though.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

WOW Rj, that is so cheap it is unreal!!! I have a DH that can do the wiring for me even! LOL And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the stop light, that is just way cool!!!! Thanks so much for the link and the pic, think I will be ordering me one or two here really soon! Thanks again, Tammy :)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

you betcha...there's all kinds of goodies on that site

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

maybe I ought not look too much! LOL

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Rj, I tried it four times and keep getting an error. :( I sent them an email cause I sure don't need four of them! LOL I had this problem once with another website and they ended up trying to charge me for each time it didn't go through, so hope that don't happen here! LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

hmmm...wonder if your pop up blocker is blocking the response..that's happened to me a couple times.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I don't recall seeing anything, but then again I wasn't looking either! LOL I will try to call them in the morning cause I think they are 2 hours ahead of us, and they were already closed. I will let ya know, though! :)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

okay..sometimes the blocker will block the response..and you won't even know it

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I would go try it again, but I am afraid of ending up with 5 heat mats! LOL

Well err ahh mmmmm ;*) 5 you say? I might know someone who could use any xtra hahaha!!!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

HA HA HA HA Kim, you are so funny! LOL Go check out the link he posted, the price is awesome! It is only $15.20 to here if you use Priority Mail!

I did and there is some awsome stuff! Tammy you must remember I have no GH!! Hahaha I am trying to keep this seed sowing in check ...where will I put it all?

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Send it all to me! HA HA HA DH is gonna let me have the Mother In Laws Cottage turned Wood shop for another Green house! YIPPPPEEE

Well it's settled then..you will need someone to tend to the plants.......you have other duties....I will be there come Spring :)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Ok, I will make room for a bed in there for ya, too! :) There is water and sewer hook ups, just gotta see what it is gonna take to make them usable. So you can have a toilet even! HE HE HE

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

No kidding..I have two of the heat mats..they are quite large..I have two seed trays on one. Beware...they are hot...I'm not sure how they're suppose to work with the pets...I suppose under a big fluffy dog bed it would be okay..but I would have to test it before I let my dog on it.
I've used them during freezes on the palm tree and the jade vine roots or base of the tree...amazingly..the jade vine survived.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

WOW they must really be awesome then, Rj! A jade vine surviving a freeze, just gotta be! Sounds like they would roast a poor doggie if they are that hot! It said they only had 24 available, so I hope they will still have one left for me tomorrow.

Too funny :) But I think that I will order one to put under my bubbler bucket to get things going.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Well I was already headed out the door to Lowe's for the toilet! LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, don't panic...I bought my heat mats last year..seems like there is always a supply

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I'll try not to! :)

ROTFL..... hey my BF gave me a variegated bleeding heart vine!! i'm thrilled... it's a tiny lil thing so I hope I can keep it going til warm weather gets here.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Awe how sweet, Kim!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

what a good idea...good idea about the bubbler...I may try that one myself

Well I never tried it...hahaha this is all new to me but it is cold here so I thought the warm water might help. :)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I bet it will..I've done the bubbler before with a fountain pump. It worked rather well, I can only imagine what the heat mat will do. And it's designed water proof in case puppy leaks on his bed...!

Perfect!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Rj,I noticed the pet heat pad is 200 watts,my seed heating mat is only 45 watts,so thats almost 4 times the wattage,I don't know a lot about electricity,but that seems quite a lot,for seed germination,but a great price for sure,but also 4 times the cost to use,to you leave yours on all day and night or just during the day?

Somebody here trying to get me in trouble,Take it Back!!!!!LOL Yeah right!!!!LOL

I asked again,she said if I get water stains on it she will kill me!!!!!
Now you and I know she wouldn't kill me,but could make my life miserable,hey she does that already!!!LOL

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Well I really would NOT want to get you into trouble, so I will take it back! LOL
(shhhhh don't tell Don I had my fingers crossed behind my back!)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I know...it is hot..and that's where the timer came in...I had bought an outdoor timer over christmas..that I hadn't taken out of the package...so I was about to install a thermostat or something to make it workable when I decided to check out the timer..well it has 48 on off timer settings on it...meaning you can set it every half hour. Sooo..I set it for 1/2 our on, and hour off...it's worked like a charm..the seeds came up in two days.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well I see now,where you get a timer 48 on and offs?
Was it expensive?
I use about a dozen timers in all my greenhouse and these ones I get at walmart don't seem to last longer than a year at most!

Yeah Tammy why I'm getting my fingers broke!!!!LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.