Tropical Gardening Parking Lot

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Good Morning Everyone!!
West winds 15 to 25mph with gusts up to 45mph!!
I need bricks in my pockets LOL :*)
Off to work have a grea tday.
Kim

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Mornin all! Kim, don't you be takin flight without us now! LOL

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Snow is in area already and by end of day tomorrow we could have up to 8 inches. When I get off work visibility is supposed to be down to a 1/4 mile. I may not drive home if it's that bad. May go to a coworker's place and hunker down for awhile.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

ummmm...isn't it suppose to be...I can't make it into work....! :)

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

That is a really good plan! If you don't have to drive please be safe and don't.
:) Kim

LOL. I have done that a couple times this season when the roads were real icy. If I feel alot of ice, forget it. I take a really bad highway to work and if it's bad I don't go in. But if I can see and I have traction I will. But I may end up calling in anyways. It just depends on how hard it's snowing.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You know your plants NEED you at home....:) LOL

What plants? They're all dead or dormant now!! LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

oh tell me you don't have a sunroom, basement or somewhere stuffed with plants

Nope. I do have some plants here in my room. 3 coleus, 1 really skinny passion vine, petunia, carolina jasmine, basket grass, and a cutting of a house plant that I hope takes. But they get very little care. Water whenever I remember.

Oh, there are houseplants too but they are no care plants. :~)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Guess that's good for this kind of weather and being stuck out.
I have a hard time leaving on vacation now because of bad experiences of friends taking care of the garden, especially the potted deck plants.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Even when it is someone you trust plantsitting for you, they never care for them like you do. They don't know the quirks and passions of your plants. I always lose one or two, and naturally, its never immediate. I don't lose them till I have been home for a while, then suddenly it just ain't a pretty sight no mo...:-(

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's the truth!
I have a routine now of moving alot of the deck plants underneath the tree in the shade which helps alot.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Say, I don't want to hijack Don's thread, but I saw some discussion over there about Australian wines... Has anyone ever had SnakeBite? Chrissy? It is outstanding! A semi sweet Lychee wine with a chili kick. Every swallow has a lot of character! We love it, but they don't ship!!!!! Darn!!!!! We just load up when ever we get the chance.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have...it is delicious...someone brought a bottle to the house at one of the many entertainment weekends.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Isn't it wonderful? I keep thinking that I need to develop a really good relationship with one of the pilots...they go over to Cairns so often that I could keep a pretty good supply going, but so far no luck!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Now there's a good idea...I don't think I've had an Australian wine I didn't like

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Okay, Randy and the rest of you tropic lovers...here's the switch of topic we all know and love. I need to pick your respective brains.

I have a big beautiful bird's nest fern that was being strangled by a pothos vine. I cut away the vine, and now the fern is doing great, but the ugly...I mean UGLY pot now shows. Someone had planted this lovely in an old oil drum that had been painted who knows how many times. I kept hoping the fern would do the skirt thing, but it hasn't so I'm trying to come up with something that will 1) drape down and cover the pot, 2) likes shade, 3) can grow in the mess that is the result of a bird's nest fern...(the "dirt" is actually the tough as leather left overs of years of fern fronds.). Any ideas???

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I love them all too...very good wine!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Or C. paint a beautiful underwater garden mural on the oil barrel

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well, that would be a great idea if 1) I could paint anything other than a stick figure, and 2) I could keep the fronds from beating the barrel in the wind long enough for any paint to dry.!

Next.....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

How about a fish net with star fish and shells -- drift wood and that sort

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh I love it!!!!! Yes!!!!! What a great idea! Randy you are a miracle man for many reasons! Thank you!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

wish I could help you do it..that would be fun..

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I will name it after you, and you will see it WHEN you come. Thanks so much!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL...Yes I was day dreaming today of ocean waves and evening happy hour with you guys.

I was going to suggest burying the barrel but Randy's idea is way better. Be sure to post pictures when its done.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

There's not an ugly anything on Randy's property. sigh

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I so agree Christi!

Hetty, I can't bury it (though I would love to). We have a six inch limitation, for anything deeper there is about 6 months of paperwork and certifications to be done to be sure we aren't digging into pipes or utility lines or such like. We are REALLY tiny, so what space is here is used!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Sure didn't mean to imply that you had "ugly". so, sorry, babe.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

You worry too much! I knew exactly what you meant :-)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I sure do. Absolutely paranoid that something will be taken the wrong way. I hereby resolve....think I have done this before.....not be sorry for anything in the future. ppphhhhttttthahahaha

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

♫Don't worry....be happy....don't worry.....be happy♫

Oh not that!!!! LOL. My mom has a singing palm tree that sings that. When she drags it out she plays it over and over and over. My dad and I have threatened to do many things to it unless she puts it up. lol

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I have a dancing dragon that sings "Hot, Hot, Hot"...he drives my cats crazy, but Tali (GD), will play him over and over....LOL...I understand the threats, Pep!

LOL. Now I have to keep looking over my shoulder to make sure she doesn't come in here and see this. She might drag it out to spite me!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL! My GD has the talking Santa's! She does the same thing!

They've been advertizing the talking animals for Valentine's Day from Hallmark. I know that she would love it......but everyone else probably would not! LOL!

77 what songs do you suppose they may sing ...Barry White,Hot Chocolate, ...if you could choose a song for a Valentine critter to sing at you what would it be...? what would melt you? rock your boat, ring your bell toot your horn etc ...
And what favourite bunch of flowers would you recieve?
chrissy

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

No doubt about that...a living plant!!!

Ha ha ha of course hubby wouldn't dare bring me flowers only a living plant or two ...what song? brings out the romantic side of you?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.