Creating a primary color bed

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone! I have a huge bed prepared last fall that I want to plant with blue, red, and yellow combination. I planted red tulips, yellow daffodils, blue camassia, and some evergreen shrubs in the fall. There are also three Home Run roses (red) in there, and I will get some yellow ones this spring. We're talking LARGE bed here with no structures closeby.

What plants would you use? I don't want the red too dark, the blue too purple or the yellow too gold. Blues can always be a problem, can't they? ;-)

Let's talk about it! Let me see some pictures if you have some great ideas. Let's get excited about spring even though it's still too far away yet. I'm certain some of you have done this color scheme.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm starting seed of dwarf red zinnia, and a dwarf yellow marigold. Blue is the hardest for me, I want a true blue, too. I'm trying some bachelor buttons, but really I'm still pondering. My bed it smaller, the reason for the dwarf variety. My base is red knockout rose bushes.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Are you planning any perennials, Cathy? I was thinking I could fill in with annuals until I found just the right perennials.

Blues are such a pain, but easier in annuals, I think. I had Salvia 'Black and Blue' in a different bed last year, and the blue was a real blue. Not exactly a dwarf though, so not suitable for your purposes.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I'd love to do perennials, but I need long color because this is a bed in a parking lot at church. Perennials will be worked into the bed gradually.

I used wave petunias under the rose bed last year as a ground cover, they looked wonderful, with only one week where there were areas that weren't blooming. They took heavy frost without batting an eye, I was surprised.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

That's a good idea. I don't worry about color all over the bed all the time. It's too big, and I don't mind those periods of time where there's only one or two things blooming. Maybe that makes me weird, I don't know. I don't like it when there's NOTHING going on though.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Fun thread McGlory! I tend to obsess over color combos, and get soooo bent out of shape when things are not as described or pictured. I started thinking what I would use if I were doing a primary color bed.

Considering your spring bulbs, Forsythia would be a nice big punch of yellow for spring, and looks so nice with daffs and other bulbs. Since you have lots of room, you could get good use of other blooming shrubs too, like yellow potentilla for carefree summer color. If you've got room for them, yellow evening primrose is a good, pure, sunny yellow. Ah, and surely you've got some yellow lilies ordered from the co op that would work beautifully.

A good red that popped in my mind was poppies. The perennial Oriental Poppies are available in great, fire engine red, lacking in a lot of perennials that bloom in late spring/early summer. Some of the annual poppies would work well too. I have a primula that blooms through spring that I would have to include in a primary color bed; they're red with yellow eyes, and gorgeous with bulbs, and carefree. If you'd like to try some of those, I can put some in your box of lilies this spring.

I've been on the search for good blues too. I'm working on an area of blue, white and yellow; a bit easier for my project because I'm using various shades of blue, light through dark. Black and Blue Salvia was a great one for me as well, and if your area where you grew it last year is mulched, keep an eye out; mine has returned the last 2 years, and has given me lots of easily started cuttings and some divisions already. You're in a colder zone, but mulch and microclimate make worlds of difference. Bachelor Buttons are an awesome true blue, and bloom at the same time as Iceland poppies (which also come in nice yellows) here. There are lots of wonderful blue bearded, Siberian, and other iris to be considered. An underplanting of lots of little bulbs, like various Muscari, Anemones, Scilla, and Spanish bluebells are a nice way to get a big splash of blue.

Looking forward to other suggestions!
Neal

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi McGlory,

Interesting thread. Have you thought of daylilies for the red and yellow? I think Lincolnitess had a daylily she called Big Red; I think it was a NOID but I'm sure there are plenty of named varieties that might work for you.

Moonbeam coreopsis comes to mind for a low growing yellow. It's a nice clear yellow without the gold that some tend to have. High Country Gardens has a Swallowtail Columbine that's a gorgeous yellow with long spurs. I had some at my other house and it grew well for me.

I know there are some blue iris that might work in your garden. They would bring some color between the early spring bulbs and the summer blooms of salvia. I had a Chicago Lustre viburnum at the other house that has blue berries. I loved the blue color of the berries, they just didn't last as long as I had hoped but the birds sure enjoyed them. The nice thing about these berries is that they don't leave the colored bird doo like the mulberries and other "blue" fruit. It's a large shrub so it may not work for what you want.

That's all that pops into my head at the moment--let me know if you need help planting, it's sounds like you've got a busy schedule this spring. I'd love to help.

Tricia

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thank you, Neal and Tricia. Oh, I have lots of ideas. LOL I just wondered what some of you guys' ideas were, and I guarantee that some of your ideas I already thought of, and others are much better than mine.

Here is some of my problem. Behind this bed is a 2-year old perennial bed in red, orange, and yellow. I didn't want to duplicate too many plants. (I love red and yellow!) I've got three Forsythia shrubs in that bed along with some red lilies, poppies, and geums, and yellow goldenrod, gaillardia, and yellow lilies. Most of the dayliles in that bed are red or orange, but I was planning on putting some yellow ones in the new bed. Yellow daylilies are some of my favorites, especially the big ones with ruffled edges. (No Stellas, please) Because we have no structures between or tall trees or anything, unless you stand between the beds, you will see them both at the same time.

I know no small beds. LOL This new one is something like 800 square feet. The one behind it I just described is 14 x 22 feet.

I thought about a Weigelia (sp) for a red shrub, but perhaps they're too pink? Also one of those honeycomb Buddjela (not spelling well today) which are yellow. I don't think I've ever seen one though. That sometimes makes me hesitate. The viburnum with blue berries is a good idea; I know there are several. What about bloom color on those, Tricia?

Moonbeam coreopsis and lilies are definitely on the list. :-) I also ordered some red glads. My sister's blue Siberian iris needed divided last year, but she dutifully is waiting for my bed to be ready. I've never tried primroses, but after Todd wrote those articles about them I thought I might. Are there particular ones you know of, Neal, that bloom the "right" color?

Tricia, you can help me plant anytime. I'm very serious, as I have to spend a week in NYC during what would normally be my busiest planting. I'm freaking a little about that. Neal, you can put any plant you want into my box of lilies! Primulas sound great! Thank you both.

I'm leaving for the weekend and will check back in on Sunday. Where is everyone else? Let's see some primary color beds, folks! :-) And I'm always open to more ideas! I've seen pictures of your gardens...

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Did you want ideas or photos of individual plants or ?
Yellows are easy for me with helenium,heliopsis,rudbeckia.
I believe there is a thread on blue plants somewhere, for that I have the Bachelor buttons also,flax
Red I have more helenium.
Reds and yellows are covered well with lilies also. Gaillardia would be a blend of those 2.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Anything people can offer, Al. Pictures of beds, ideas for combinations, good red (or any other color) ideas are all welcome! I'm excited about this project.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

From what I can remember, the bloom color on the viburnum was white but very insignificant. I had to be standing right next to it to see the bloom because the green on the plant was what I saw from a distance. As I said, the berries are short lived, so other than adding height and structure, it might not be what you want.

The honeycomb buddleia that I saw was more of a gold than yellow if I remember right. I think they had some at Finke Garden last year when I was browsing around. I did like it and was trying to figure out where I could put one in my garden.

I bought a plant at Spring Affair last year that had a common name of "Redbirds in a Tree". Mine bloomed most of the summer and I thought it was a zone 6 but I just saw it listed in High Country Gardens as z5. I've got some pictures on my home PC so I'll try to get one posted for you later. I'll let you know if it makes it through the winter.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It'll be an annual in your zone, but Anagallis monelli has about the most perfect true blue color of any plant I've grown. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1290/

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

These red/yellow primula I have were given to me many years ago and I think they're a form of P.vulgaris, the English primrose. I've seen common yellow forms that would work well for you, and I'm on the hunt for some blues. There are some amazing azure, cobalt, and almost navy blues among primula, most with yellow centers, but I usually only see the large flowered hybrids offered which don't survive the heat of our summers here.

Red Monarda like 'Jacob Cline' or 'Cambridge Scarlett' are showy and easy. The bloom form is a great contrast with daisy shaped flowers and lilies.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Here is a picture of my Geranium Johnson's Blue, hardy to your zone Can get a bit floppy but a "hair cut" will bring it back around.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Here is Delphinium Black Knight, Might be on the purple side for you, but at least gives you an idea.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here's a pic of the Redbird's in a Tree. It's supposed to get up to 36" tall although mine didn't get that big this first year.

Thumbnail by daltri_z5
South Hamilton, MA

You seem to be doing well for spring into early summer. How about some of the sedums for fall. There are new ones coing out, not just 'Autumn Joy'. Green goes with everything and the bright green stems are fine & flower heads green until they bloom. As you can see by my user name I like irises. some of the intermediate bearded irises go better in a mixed bed, than the tall Bearded ones. Siberians sound good.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

daltri, I've never seen that plant before; its stunning! Is it a hardy perennial for you?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks Gemini. I thought it was a zone 6 when I bought it. I've had a few other z6 plants make it through the winter so I was just hoping it would survive. I see it's listed in the High Country Gardens catalog as a zone 5-10 so now I'm really looking forward to see if it makes it through the winter. As a first year plant, it only got about 15-18" tall. It's supposed to be 36-48" tall and 18" wide. The latin name is Scrophularia macrantha. I like "different" plants so I'm always on the lookout for something unique.

:-)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks daltri, I just saw that High Country Gardens has them this morning! I love unusual and uncommon looking plants too. I would be interested in trying my hand at raising them from seed. Hmmm....must look for those!

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Wow! I'm gone for a few days, and I come back to you folks' great ideas. Cool!

Flower form is frequently a problem for me, gemini. One of my gardening friends says if it's shaped like a daisy I'll like it. Wonder why I seem to be drawn to one form all the time...

Tricia, I'll look for some unusual things at the Spring Affair this year. Usually I go with their huge list all marked up for my purposes, buy what I'm after, and leave MUCH poorer than when I arrived. I'm not good at impulse buying.

ladygardner, I've seen several pictures of blue geraniums, but always wonder if they're as blue as they're supposed to be. I'm going to look for that particular one, as it looks pretty true from your picture. Delphiniums are a good choice too.

There are some yellow sedum I was thinking about, but it appears to me that most yellows are rather short. I could put them near the edges though. I have a small collection of IB iris, but I think they're all white with different-colored beards.

Obviously, I need to expand my repertoire. Have any of you seen this rosemary? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/83210/ I've searched all over and looks to only be available in Europe. Perhaps I need to talk to PapaGeno.

Keep the ideas flowing. I can't believe nobody has a picture of a bed such as this. Maybe the reason is that it's a bad idea!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It's not a bad idea at all. I think to do this you need a large bed, which you have.

You can't really tell, as not much is in bloom in this picture, but my bed goes from blue to purple to pale pink to white.

My biggest challenge was getting the plants to match as far as requirements, light, water, fertilizer. You can do this in a big bed, as you can get them far enough away from each other to accomodate.

Sedum is nice, and goes well in mixed beds, but you wouldn't want to put it with siberian iris, for example, due to the water requirements.

Iris, as Neal mentioned, is great, as they come in so many different colors. Even siberians now come in pinks and pale yellows.

I also like shrubs with colored leaves for some interest all year round.

Thumbnail by pollyk

McGlory, Try this site, you can do an Advanced search (top left corner)
You can search by color, height soil condition, and more. I have ordered many plants from them and have not been disappointed. However the plants are small, but do catch up.
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/index.html

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

The light requirement is full sun. Period. Case closed. Here are some pictures of when it was prepared last fall. You can see the slight slope, I think, but I don't think these show the enormity of it though.

Thumbnail by McGlory
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Maybe this gives some size perspective. See any sun here? LOL!

Thumbnail by McGlory
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It looks like it should be beautiful. Seems you have a great plan.

I can't wait to see pics, as it develops.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I see a missed a couple of posts...

That picture is beautiful, pollyk. The textures and foliage colors were marvelously done.

ladygardener - I'm a huge fan of Bluestone. I haven't had any problem with them either. Did you notice their prices went up this year? Seems like a substantial price increase, or maybe it's just that my list is so long. I'm going to order while I can still get the 20% off, but I know the sum will be frightening.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I love Bluestone too. It just amazes me how those little plants take off like crazy! When I received my first order, I read in the Watchdog to expect small plants, and at first I couldn't help but ask myself "did you really just pay $15 for a 3cell cell pack?", even though everything was perky and healthy. Within 2 weeks of having everything in the ground, many had already doubled in size! I'd love to know how they do it.

What are you wanting to order? I may have something you're looking for and am happy to share.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

My order list is quite long. I'm at work now and don't have it here. Maybe later I can post it. Although it might be embarrassing...

You know - since ladygardener brought it up I thought about starting a "What are you getting from Bluestone" thread, but thought it might be too revealing. LOL!

The bed behind the one I mentioned above - the one with yelllow,red and orange, I mean - will be 3-years old with mostly Bluestone plants this spring. I'm hoping I'll be shocked this year, although it didn't look too bad last year. Hoping it fills in. The other big bed I never even mentioned had mostly Bluestone plants new last year. This will be the "creep" year.

I'll check back later with my list, if I'm brave enough. :-)

I hate to make you Bluestone fans jealous, but I live about an hour away and have visited Blue many times. The staff that picks out your plants are gardeners and choose the plants that they themselves would plant. If one plant in the pack is weak they will pop it out and put in a strong plant.
Even when you go in person they encourage you to pop and replace, one nice thing is in person you can buy just one plant if you wish. One time when checking out, the clerk stopped and said I can find you a better one, It was a small shrub, she had me follow her and she personally picked out a shrub with a better growing pattern. The shrub is growing very nicely now I could not be happier.
They also have a very nice selection of clematis, I am really hooked on them now.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2008 6:19 PM

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I am so-o-o jealous! What a lucky gal you are!

I'm not surprised they pop a weaker plant out. All the 3-cell packs I've ever gotten had 3 plants that looked equally as good. Never thought about how that happened. Think about it though ~ when I go to a nursery and buy some annuals, there's always one or two in the 6-pack that don't look quite as good.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Are you ready? In alphabetical order by Genus:

Achillea filipendulina 'Coronation Gold'
Bergenia cordifolia 'Bressingham Ruby'
Dianthus x allwoodii 'Desmond'
Euphorbia x martinii 'Tiny Tim'
Geranium macrorhizzum
Heliopsis 'Summer Sun'
Heuchera 'Raspberry Ice' - haven't found that one around here
Penstemon barbaratus 'Iron Maiden'
Rudbeckia hirta 'Irish Eyes'
Rudbeckia laciniata 'Herbstsonne' (I think Bluestone calls this Autumn Sun)
Santolina pinnata
Tanacetum coccineum 'Robinson's Red' (I think BP calls it Pyrethrum or something)

How's that? LOL! Can you see the glow from my blushing from here? And we didn't even talk about how many of each one!

Glory, looks like a good selection. I had Dianthus x allwoodii 'Desmond' for several years, it did great then I had to move it and lost it. The red really popped!!! Also Achillea filipendulina 'Coronation Gold' going strong after many years.

Oh, I think starting a Bluestone thread would be wonderful!

Don't forget to add your plants to your DG Journal, I love keeping track of my plants this way.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Dear, you needn't blush, I placed an equally fiendish order a couple of years ago......well, ok....maybe a little more so, LOL. Anyhow, your selection looks awesome! The only one I have is Geranium macrorrhizum, I love it! They multiply quickly and can be divided a year after planting, but never become invasive (for me). The fragrance of the foliage is lovely too. Don't know how many you're wanting to start with, but I'm sure I can come up with 3 divisions for you.

Good idea about the bluestone thread. I love to see what everyone is looking for this spring

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Herbstonne would be the tallest of the yellows that for sure.

It is along the fence here.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Okay, I'll start a new Bluestone thread if you promise you all will put me to shame. :-)

Neal, I'd love divisions of the geranium from you! I will d-mail you.

Our university's horticulture club has a HUGE sale every spring of plants grown in a Nebraska nursery. Their selection is great and prices are good, they publish the list of this year's plants early, so I only buy from Bluestone what I know I can't get at the U. Trust me, if my Bluestone list is that long, the University list is extra shameless. LOL!

I've never mastered the DG Journal. Always thought I would like it - would get impatient reading the "how-to" and never got around to starting it. I'm not even very good about the diary. Let's just say if my computer ever crashes, I will be in serious trouble. Should at least back up to a CD.

I got the Doris dianthus last year, and it did very well, so I suspect I'll love the Desmond. Got blooms from those tiny plants, and it's foliage looked good into deep freeze. http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/DIDOS.html

I'm sure we have Herbstsonne where I work, which is why it got added to my list. If it looks half as good as yours, Al, I'll be fine. :-)

This message was edited Jan 24, 2008 8:17 AM

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

It's big, plan for it.
Irish Eyes is nice, I have my Summer Sun growing through a peony ring to hold it up - works great.

Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

Hi Mc Glory,
I thought I would post a few pictures of part of my huge garden beds maybe to give you some ideas. You are in for a lot of work you know--LOL I grow and sell perennials so I have the plants. Instead of growing everything in rows, I use this as my display area. Though the rows are pretty too when blooming. This garden bed was planted in March and April of 2007, mostly bare root plants. At the time of planting, sections were done in certain colors, other times I just had so many of a particular plant that I would stick it here and there. I am gradually going through and changing some of it.
Just a note since you said you didn't want the yellows too gold, I have found that
the Heliopsis Summer Sun is a very deep dark yellow, where Coreopsis Moonbeam is a much lighter mellow yellow. Also the same with the Achillea Coronation Gold, I find Achillea Moonshine is a much softer yellow. Though Moonshine has a much more silver-green foliage. I can't seem to get a good picture of the true color of the foliage but I think it is beautiful even when it's not blooming.

Here is a picture of the main part of the display area

Thumbnail by Bareroots
Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

Here is an shot from a further distance

Thumbnail by Bareroots
Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

Coreopsis Moonbeam and Veronica Sunny Border Blue
The tall plant in the back ground with the red--is a Castor Bean plant with seed pods. It is the seed pods that are red and remain on the plant for months.

Thumbnail by Bareroots

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.