Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Bareroots

In reply to: Creating a primary color bed

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Creating a primary color bed
Bareroots wrote:
Hi Mc Glory,
I thought I would post a few pictures of part of my huge garden beds maybe to give you some ideas. You are in for a lot of work you know--LOL I grow and sell perennials so I have the plants. Instead of growing everything in rows, I use this as my display area. Though the rows are pretty too when blooming. This garden bed was planted in March and April of 2007, mostly bare root plants. At the time of planting, sections were done in certain colors, other times I just had so many of a particular plant that I would stick it here and there. I am gradually going through and changing some of it.
Just a note since you said you didn't want the yellows too gold, I have found that
the Heliopsis Summer Sun is a very deep dark yellow, where Coreopsis Moonbeam is a much lighter mellow yellow. Also the same with the Achillea Coronation Gold, I find Achillea Moonshine is a much softer yellow. Though Moonshine has a much more silver-green foliage. I can't seem to get a good picture of the true color of the foliage but I think it is beautiful even when it's not blooming.

Here is a picture of the main part of the display area