Creating a primary color bed

Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

This picture was taken in July (only 3-4 months after planting)

Thumbnail by Bareroots
Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

The last one I'll bore you with was taken in Sept 2007 it is just a tad over crowded -LOL

Thumbnail by Bareroots
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Bareroots, if you think you're boring anyone with those GORGEOUS shots, you're quite mistaken, LOL! More please! Your garden is masterfully designed; I love the color flow and how the texture of each plant compliments its neighbor. The temps are in the single digits here now, and your colorful pics are a sight for sore eyes :)

Thanks for sharing,
Neal

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh, yeah, I'm definitely bored! NOT!!! Man-o-man-o-man, I can only dream that my garden looks that good someday! Do you start with large plants, or is your thumb that extra green? Mine look nothing like that 3-4 months after planting. Hopefully, they'll look like that 3-4 years after planting. Those photos are nothing short of FABULOUS, Bareroots.

Thank you for the heads-up on some of the not-so-yellow plants. I noticed that Bluestone has a new yellow Ratibida. They seem to grow well here in the other bed, but mine are red, so I might try the new ones.

I know it will be a ton of work. I love spending 8-10 hours on weekends outside in the gardens. Isn't it amazing how quickly a day will go by when you're weeding or planting or deadheading? Oh, wait! I wouldn't know anything about deadheading - don't do that well.

Thank you for sharing those photos. Please feel free to add more and more and more and...

Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

Thank you Neal & McGlory

I had to laugh at your comment on deadheading, McGlory. Who has time to deadhead? I could spend days deadheading and then find I need to deadhead again where I started. LOL Another note on the Heliopsis Summer Sun, I love the nice glossy green foliage and it blooms for a long time, but towards the end of summer it needs lots of deadheading. Some plants to me don’t look too bad if not deadheaded. This one looks terrible. You probably could cut it back by third after a month of blooming—if you have time, ha ha.

No I don’t have an extra green thumb. Most of the plants in the gardens were all planted as Grade #1 bare root. They usually are at least a year old and quite large. They would not fit in a 4” pot, they would need a 1 or 2 gallon.

Last year we relocated and thought we had the perfect commercial property for our garden center and at the last minute the whole deal fell through. Fortunately we found a piece of property we bought just barely in time. I had thousands plants coming starting two weeks after we closed escrow. I opened an Ebay store and sold them in lots of 5 at very reasonable prices and what we didn’t sell planted in the display gardens. You can read my feedback what customers said about the size of the plants
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=d-sgarden&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller
So if you want some nice bare root perennials, just let me know. It has been a really rough year, after all the work of trying to get set up my back has decided to let me know it’s had it. It went out on me several times this past year, and the last time I was pretty much immobile for 27 days. So I am just slowly gearing back up and getting back to business. I am okay as long as I don’t over do it. That is so hard to do because I love it all so much! Sorry didn’t mean to give you my whole history for the last year, but seriously if you are interested in perennial bare root plants email me.
Dee

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

It makes me feel better that you started with bigger plants. Was beginning to wonder if I should garden at all! LOL

I hate hearing that someone is down in the back. Happens to DH and my son sometimes, and it's awful for them! Glad you're doing a little better.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.