Winter's still here, but spring's getting closer!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

At the end of my cold finally so know how you feel. Worst is trying to play with seeds and sneezing right in the middle of putting them in packetts. I hate that.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Lol Barb, great idea for Christmas. Don't you just love those Hibiscus names?
Glad you are feeling a little better Pepper.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Yeah, that sneezing always happens at the wrong time.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Didn't someone suggested rubbing Vicks at the bottom of one's feet to get rid of colds. No harm in trying that.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Jaye, I think I seen that on one of the forums somewhere! It was at the bottom where it says something like another you might be interested in, but I don't remember where I was at the time! LOL

I just live up on Nyquil at night and Tylenol during the day along with lots of kleenexes. I remember reading about that but never tried it. By the time that info would come in handy again I will have forgotten again. lol

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Lots of meds always helps. If I could handle it I would do the lemon and whiskey things, but YUK to both of those.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Okay folks...that reminded me of our old preacher who swears by Robitussin as a cure-all!!!!

LOL. I think pretty much anything that is supposed to help tastes awful. Nyquil so far is the worse. I don't get sick very often and before this one I went 2 yrs without a cold or anything. I really enjoed it while it lasted. lol

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I think I'm going to pop some more Vitamin C and some B complex. It always helps.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Great pictures!!!!! I've been hungry for spagetti! We've cut back on the frequency of having it due to the acid indigestion. They sell really good little pink pills at WalMart for that!!!! We need to make a trip there tomorrow! Your spagetti looked very good!

We do the hamburger helper (without the box) also. We use the Ragu cheese sauce and basicly any type of pasta.

We also like pasta with the white Alfredo sauce. Both Ragu and Bertoli have one. It goes with most any type of meat, and we like small tender sweet peas with it, or steamed broccoli! Makes for a quick meal. Even the grandkids all like it.

It's been very warm here, but supposed to have a cool front coming in Sun night, so will drop down into the sixties in the day, forties at night! Beautiful weather!!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Okay guys !
I worked with a oldman yrs ago,he takes vicks and eats it,and stick up his nose,and swears by it!!!!
Said his mother did it too them when they were little always worked and he did always when he left home,sadly he is no longer with us,but I do remember his colds didn't last long!

I think I'll just keep drinking the orange juice 3 times a day!!!!

Ok gang Patti can't get rid of her sore throat,been gargling with salt water,any other suggestions out there???

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Don could it be post nasal drip causing the sore throat? Has she tried allergy medicine to see if it's her sinus causing it? Hope it's not severe enough to be strep throat. Love to Patti.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well not sure,I asked her that too,but she has been taking the Tylenol sinus plus.
She said not strep throat ,she's had that before.
Thanks

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

sing along " on top of spaghetti..all covered in cheese..I lost my poor meatball..when somebody sneezed.." LOL Don, you crack me up. I am scrollin along, looking at all those lovely blooms and suddenly, I am saying "what the ???" and I am staring at a plate of spaghetti. HA What a crack up you are!
Sore throat...my mom the health nut sucks on garlic tablets that she buys from her vitamin place, makes her smell lovely when it ooooooozes from her pores....LOL
I suck on zinc lozenges and I just smell like cherries. :~)
Hope the cooties leave everyone soon,
Donna

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL Donna,you don't grow spaghetti in your garden???LOL

I just like to whip up everybody's appetitie and see where it leads me???LOL
You never know when somebody is gonna slip and let out there secret recipe on a thread!!!LOL
Patti's squirting chloreseptic down her throat for relief.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Don, have her try lemon juice and salt mixed. Gargle with it. Don't swallow..lol.
Or a couple Tlbs. of vinegar in water. Swallow that.
Her throat must be pretty bad if she is using chloroseptic!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Chloroseptic can cause damage to your throat. It numbs it and when you talk or eat something and it goes down the wrong way it will tear it up and you won't know it until it's too late. I make teas with lemon and honey. The more honey will help sooth and relax, the lemon will help constict it to keep from doing damage but not like the chloroseptic. Lemon will also help kill the germs causing the sore throat.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

So will the vinegar.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Yep that's true Marcy. Me I would have do pickle juice, it tastes so much better. lol

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Got me curious as to what's the better cure for severe sore throats. So I google and found this 'strange' bit. Who's going to try first? http://www.myfinancialjourney.com/archive/frugal-cure-for-a-sore-throat
BTW, not safe to put Vicks in your nose. Anything that contains petroleum jelly or mineral oil can cause a certain kind of pneumonia, when aspirated into the lungs..

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Good news everyone,Patti's throat is much better this morning,must have been your alls prayers and thoughts!!!

Honey and Vinegar,sounds if one doesn't cure it the other will !!!!LOL
Lemon is always in her glass of tea!!!LOL

Cayenne pepper I think is doable!!!!
Thanks for all your solutions!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

carefull with the vinegar. My cousin tried to gargle it just 3 years ago. Strangled, aspirated into her lungs and caused a strange pneumonia. She lived 48 hours. Nyquil is 40% alcohol. Tody in a bottle.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh my Christi. Thanks for that warning.
Patti, rest your throat more......you are forbidden to scream!! That doesn't mean it's play time for you Don!!!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

40%,I'm surprised kids ain't getting drunk on this!!!
No wonder it puts me to sleep!!LOL

Sorry to hear about your cousin,who would have thought that would do that??

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well now that Patti's had her breakfast and read morning paper,she's down for her morning nap!!!!LOL
I'm going back to play with the parrots,give them some play time out of there cages!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

One of the things they kids are into is Robitussin. Don't what is in it but they do.
Almost all of the tablet style cold meds are now behind the counter and some must be signed for. Ingredients for methamphetimine. Hard world we live in today. Patty may need to have a culture done. There are newer kinds of strep.
Must be careful doctoring ourselves. Not that I am in favor of going to the doctor every little whipstitch, just more cautious than I used to be. I know Patti must be miserable and I so sorry for that.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

When we kids, it was flop flop fiz fiz or what a relief it is!!!
For just about everything!!!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

My mother used to make us drink warm whiskey with sugar in it and it was NASTY! LOL

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Ain't that the truth, I remember we couldn't wait for that to come out of the medicine chest. We would put our noses over the top just for the bubbles to get us.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm happy to hear Patti is doing better.

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Granny had a jar with corn liquor over rock candy, get some in a spoon when sick... I got well
really fast yucko!!!

This message was edited Jan 12, 2008 2:51 PM

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I had forgotten that. My great-grandparents had rye whiskey and rock candy.
I have no idea what rye whiskey is. She was staunch xxxxxxx church and wouldn't dream of having a snort. This was medicinal. hahahaha

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

That stuff is as bad as they come. just like the lightning pops used to gets. It would make your hair fall out.

Yikes!!!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Granny would actually take that stuff out, hold your nose and pull your head back, then pour it down you.

Of course when we turn our backs and was coughing she would take a swig. What was so funny was pops always pretended he was getting sick too and he needed a bigger dose. He was such a poor actor.

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

When ever I saw that I would suddenly feel fine ;o) LOL

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL, love the memory remedies, funny now, not so then...my mom never wanted to give us unnatural meds, so about the only thing we actually "took" was baby aspirin and when our noses were stuffed we got the vicks inhaler stick shoved up our noses. Remember those? Looked like a finger with holes on the top for the vicks fumes to come through. Got my finger stuck in the cap one time, mom freaked and after that, we got a dab of vicks smeared under our noses and have not seen an inhaler stick since...LOLOL

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

After we moved away from them, Mom decided she would treat us with cod liver oil. It didn't matter what we had, if one of us got sick all of us got the big spoon full of that and that was the nastiest stuff. She said it would clean us out and get rid of all the bad stuff. I think she did it instead of giving us a spanking. Talk about punishment.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I do, I remember those. Everyone had to stick it up our noses. It's a wonder it didn't give us more germs than we had. LOL Those were the days.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.