Movies, TV, & Stars,What is you favorite and least favorite?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

OK - finally,I I knew Max Gayle when I lived in California. He was a friend of my Jazz Musician friend and I was at his house in Malibu several times. So there. Someone famous and I knew him. He played Wojohowitz (sp) in the Barney Miller series.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Loved him!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

The episode, the empty child,(Dr. Who) kinda freaked me out! But it is certainly written for adults.

Loved Barney Miller! Hal Linden plays a mean saxophone which he showed in a very short series(I think it was only one season)-think it was called Jack's Place. That's too bad they only did the one season on dvd it deserves better! Wojo and Dietrich were my favorite characters on the show.

Did anyone see the movie, The Air Up There with Kevin Bacon?

Well now the second season is finally out!

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Yes, Barney Miller, was one of the best shows then! Has anyone mentioned Sanford & Sons yet?

I forget what channel, but within the past few months or so Good Times has been on - the clothes, J. J.'s big mouth, a million people living in one apartment. That reminds me of Welcome Back, Kotter - loved that!

Has anyone watched The High Chaparral? My all-time favorite western!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

I loved all of those shows too. Isn't it funny how you just forget about them until someone mentions them? Or maybe that just happens to retirees who aren't using their brains as much anymore!! LOL

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I think Bert"s second show was Empty Nest
I was a Barney Miller fan too. That was the great sitcom era.

In 1974/75, the following sitcoms were all on: All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore, The Odd Couple, MASH, Barney Miller and Bob Newhart. (Probably more good ones that I'm not remembering). How is that for a lineup?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

How about Taxi?

Later.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Empty nest-thanks Dave!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Oooh - it's women on the new season of Big Break coming up.

Sorry to hear about Suzanne Pleshette. She was beautiful and talented.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

She died? Oh man!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I believe she asked the doctors to take her off the medication, and let it end already, she suffered greatly. I saw her in the movie ‘Fate Is The Hunter’ with Glen Ford with my family, (in B&W!) at the theater. Good actress. Lung Cancer...

Yes - heavy smoker. You could tell from her voice. If you see her in early movies, she did not have that raspiness.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Wasn't she just "the bomb" on the Bob Newhart shows?

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

She really was great on that show. I've never seen her in any movies.

I saw her in some 60's Disney movies.

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

She was in Hitchcock's "The Birds".
She played the schoolteacher, Mitch's old girlfriend.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I loved The Birds so much!!! Hadn't seen it in years, so last year rented it for my 15-yr.-old to watch - we laughed through it. Unfortunately, that kind of scary isn't scary anymore - we've all been "conditioned". I wonder if The Shining is still as scary as it was?

Same here. I was terrified as a kid and when I started to watch it a few years back, I cracked up and turned it off. Definitely not among his best. I did not remember Pleshette being in it.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

I was never really scared of The Birds. I always just thought it was kind of strange. I don't remember Pleshette in there either, but it's been a long time.

Saw some of Psycho the other night. That movie, on the other hand, has held up well. I was creeped out just watching fifteen minutes of it and knowing what would happen.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Victor, that was a fabulous year for sitcoms. Even though my friends and I were young and lived in San Francisco, we all watched Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart instead of going out on Saturday nights. No VCR's then and no shows in syndication, so if you missed a show, you had to hope it would be part of the summer rerun schedule.

When Soap first came on, did anyone else think Billy Crystal was one of the guys from Sha Na Na? He was a dead ringer for one of them.

Absolutely, Zuzu! He was one of the better singers in the group. I just posted on Gloria's birthday thread that they used to practice in my bldg at work, but long before I was there.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

One of the better singers and possibly the best-looking member of that group.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Still confuses me why Sha Na Na was at Woodstock.

For you, Zuzu!

http://www.johnnycontardo.com/

Everyone was at Woodstock, Al. And 50's stuff was already gaining a sentimental following. It really took off when Happy Days came out in '73. I remember they re-released Rock Around the Clock.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Yeah, Al, I always thought Sha Na Na was a weird fit for Woodstock. They were so much more that greaser 50's thing, whereas Woodstock was a hippie thing.

Or so I've always assumed. I'm much too young to have been at Woodstock. ;)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Me too, but I am a big late 60's music fan. SNN just seemed like they couldn't be any unhipper for that era. Musically, Monterey was a lot better than Woodstock.

Anywhere Hendrix went was cool by me.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Excepting Isle of Wight of course.LOL

Final curtain?

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, Victor, thank you. How thoughtful.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Heavy smoking seemed to have doomed the beautiful Lucille Ball's voice to. I can't even believe it's the same lady from her I Love Lucy show to appearances in her old age. WOW!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes it was near the end and the antiWoodstock festival.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Wight_Festival_1970

(Zone 4a)

I have to say my all time fav movie is Sixth Sense...never have I felt those emotions watching a movie!!! I was totally taken by surprise! I just loved that movie!!!

This message was edited Jan 25, 2008 11:00 PM

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

An oldie TV show I use to watch, "Remmington Steel" anyone else remember that one?

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, I saw a few episodes, but he, (Pierce Bronson), just didnt fit as a rough detective type of guy for me, I watched 'Moonlighting' instead. ☺

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.