My homeade bator!

londonderry, Australia

i hardly ever see admin post in tis neck of the woods LOL
hey i am going up the coast again and my said she would look after them my girl friend gave me the (they arent comin with us look) so i have no choice but after the last time she looked after them i am a bit timid to let her try LOL

londonderry, Australia

oh i asked admin so i am waiting for a reply :)

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

you know there is a part two to this thread as well...

londonderry, Australia

yep

Glenwood, IA

A sticky? Whats a sticky? I feel special.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

mcamden a sticky is like DG immortality ^_^. You get a link to your post or thread pasted at the top of the forum so people can quickly refer to it.

MollyD

Glenwood, IA

Wow...that is pretty darn neat. How exciting.

Melissa

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

OMG, melissa, you are STICKIED!!!

Glenwood, IA

Wow...I feel so...honored. Awww...I AM special! Or at least my thread is. :)

The Dalles, OR

Got some questions on a homemade incubator.
#1. My new incubator is big. It could handle a lot of eggs. But I don't have a turner for it. I am really not interested in using a automatic turner because the eggs are held in a position that I am not sure would be all that great. Plus, I don't have a hatcher right now.
Could someone come up with an idea for me to be able to turn my eggs without my having to open the incubator? Handle needs to be on the left side of the incubator.
#2 I need a way to check the temps inside the incubator and again, without having to open it up. Any Ideas please?
#3. How much surface area on a pie can, cake pan etc. or something like that does an incubating egg need for moisture?
Thanks
CS

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

How do you lower humidity?

Glenwood, IA

Hey CS...Sorry I havent checked this thread in a while...left the country got sick...and a month later here I am!

1. I built little baskets for my eggs out of mesh like garden fence or chicken wire. Then put the eggs in a single file line in the baskets, and had the handle come out the side of the bator. I did two rows of baskets which I think you can see in one of the photos I posted. Mine wasnt perfect, but it got the job done.

2. To check the temps inside. I bought a digital thermometor just for this. I used a meat one. then made a hole and stuck it in. You want the bottom of the thermometer to be at the same height at the top of the eggs, but no higher..so you may have to go in on the side depending on how tall your bator is.

3. This totally depends on how many eggs, size of bator, where it is, how often you open it, and how well it is sealed. What I would do is get a Hygrometer. You can buy one at Walmart were the vaporizors are for $1.50. It doesnt have exact #'s, but you can figure it out. Then put that on the floor inside the bator and just play with it. Start with a clean new sponge, and add water. You will constantly have to add water, so just play with it until the level is right, and then keep checking it several times a day (minimum of every time you turn the eggs.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Melissa

Glenwood, IA

To lower humidity, take out the water, or add an air vent.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I always wondered if I could use a water heater element for heating in air if I hooked it up to 110v. That would mean a 1440w element (at 220v) would be 360w because watts = voltage squared divided by resistance. I KNOW that at 220v, you have to have the element in water.

BTW, I don't know if the resistance of the water heater element might go down (or up?) with its temperature - probably not much if at all.

Use a GFCI 15A or 20A circuit for playing around with these electrical gadgets! Don't want your chickens (OR YOU) electrocuted!

Paul
(retired electrical engineer)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Mccamden I see this is a pretty old thread. Would love an update. Jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

edited for delete of duplicate

This message was edited Dec 23, 2015 12:28 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.