S. Georgia Spring Round Up April 19th

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Debby, welcome to Daves!. Roundups are gardeners gathering together for a day of fellowship, eating, and plant trading. I went to one in Jonesboro last May, hosted by Azalea, who gave me a wonderful day of just getting out to meet other Dave's members. We traded plants, talked to everybody (almost, I getting get to everyone LOL) ate great bbq, and listened to an informative speaker about the benefits of worm casings. Bought several bags of it too.
Gapeahen is hosting one in Douglas GA on April 19th at her house. She'll get in contact with you and will mail you or email you a flyer. She's encouraging everyone to bring something to trade, either your own plants or even a pair of garden gloves it doesn't really matter.. But that's not the important thing, having fun is! There will be plenty of plants for those who are new to gardening. An orphan table will be set up for plants that don't have a pre-trade attached so newbies don't go home empty handed.

I'm sure some garden club & master gardener members along with guest speakers will be there as well. Should be an enjoyable day. I'm looking forward to meeting you and other fellow gardeners too. Hope to see you there.

Deborah

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi again DebbyD. yes, trades are fun. and such nice people you meet.
Elaine

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi, All, I am pretty new also. The RU sounds fantastic and I am hoping to attend someday. In the meantime, if I can send something along, I'd love to. I'm not sure that I'm seeing the definitive post of what people want. I have all these old gardens that need digging and few named cultivars. Tons (thousands) of unnamed bulbs, natives, shrubs and wildflowers. I just started seeding this past week with saved tomatoes and peppers (Dmail for types), Hibiscus coccinea, Vitex agnus castus, Black-eyed Susan vine, lemon, Thai and sweet basil as well as our wild Maypops. I don't know the protocol for swaps. Do they need to be a certain size, certain age or in a certain container? If there is someone close to me (within 30 minutes) in Cleveland, GA., or in Sandy Springs, I would be willing to bring plants for no trade. If someone is close, I am looking for Red pear tomatoes and Mortgage Lifters and any Marconi-type or hot peppers. Also would like folks to help me dig and divide bulbs as there are more than I can handle in my remaining life :). Have a great RU and Gapeahen...you must be the bomb!!!

Laurel

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Laurel, welcome .
I have old red/orange hot peppers and some ornamental ones also. I would love to come help you dig and reorganize your bulbs later in spring/ summer.
Elaine

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Welcome Deddy & Laure
yall are sure to fine many wonderful gardening friends here at Dave's just as I have!

Would love to see you in April!

Donna

Hello My Gardening Friend,

It's April 3rd and you know what just around the corner!
Our Plant Swap April 19th, so hope you are gearing up for all the "Fun"
we're going to have! Remember I need a head count by the 10th, so I'll
know everyone will have plenty to eat!

Also if you planning to come on Friday night "please" let me know.
We will be going out to eat on Friday night. So I'll need to reserve
us a group table. This restaurant has Great Food and a menu for all
and is out in the county only a short 15 minute drive! They have a "delicious "
homemade Strawberry pie!

If you need directions or help in any way just ask. Remember to put
my cell number in your phone, just incase you get lost! lol!!

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Maypop:

You have dmail!

BB

http://www.farmersorganic.com/index.html

Check out one of our guest speakers website.
Bags of farmers organic will be availble at RU for $5 per bag.

Just thought you might wanna know!

For what size bag?

BB

Elaine, that is so sweet :). I really am all grins when I think of you helping me 'organize' the bulbs. The bulbs run down two 1/3 mile roads, about three hundred feet of stepped embankments and elsewhere. Like the garlic, they have been here so many years that they pop up wherever they please. Maypop was abandoned for years before we bought it. Apparently the original owner planted the bulbs Our energies have gone into evicting the wildlife, making the house habitable and converting an old road bed into a veggie/flower garden I've messed with these bulbs here and there, but they are so crowded and neglected. BTW this house is another 85 miles north of Atlanta, but if you're up for the journey, let me know and thanks.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

You know that sounds just like my 'cup of tea'. I will keep in touch. My DH is asking when? (he is thinking golf) I love rescuing plants, puppies, and making new friends.
Elaine

See you all in 2 weeks!

BB, it's the larger bag. I believe it's 28 lbs.
Yes love the rain, just praying for a sunny day on the 19th!

Donna

As far as I know now the following are arriving Friday night, if I left you out pleases let me know.
BronxBoy & wife
Cordeledawg
TulipLady
beclu77 & friend
floyd333- now plantdoctor
Andre'

Just a little now about my place: it is not this fabulous landscape design. In fact is a work in progress. Due to the fact I have had several set back in the last 2 years, my gardening plans have been put on hold. Until this spring, an I've been working my bun's off but you will not be able to see all my hard work as of yet. The big showing will be in October, so I hope!

My wild flower of about an acre more or less are just now springing up. Should be a beautiful show of purple & yellow in a month or so. Just didn't wont you to think I have this grand display of a show garden. Exactly my garden dosen't come alive until May-June and it's really in full bloom in October. The main focus point is my driveway entrance, that I've been working on for the pass month. Hopefully you'll see a small bit of color there. With the letter V design with mondo grass, should hope it last through the coming hot summer days.

I'm a backyard grower, and have been potting up & dividing perennials everyday for the last six weeks an still see NO end in sight. Will have a assortment of sun coleus that a few of you might wanna take home. Along with some perennial plugs and woody ornamentals for those hummer's & butterflies. I can't seen to buy just one of two, I just go ahead a purchase a hole tray of each that i must have. And then I do get over wham!!! lol!! Go figure I'm a plant nut for sure!

I'm really excited about the Plant Swap and hoping for a good turn out. There's a few that we haven't heard from yet, maybe they'll reply within the next few days. We do have a few ladies coming from other gardening clubs. I'm sure we'll all have loads of FUN!

Thank goodness Cordeledawg-deborah is coming Wednesday to help me put the finishng touch on the swap. And Sharon has been a Blessing with helping me potting up all those many many trays of plants. That Sharon is one FAST worker! Sure wish I could put her on the payroll!! I couldn't of done it without her! Many Thanks to both of my Dear Sweet Garden Buddies. Oh yes must not forget Floyd, he's kept me on my toes in growing out these beautiful sun coleus. Thank You too Floyd for all you have share with me!! Yes, you are the plant-doctor for sure!!

If you need directions or my cell number please d-mail me.
I live on the Waycross highway (Hwy 158) 1 mile for Budget Auto Sales on the right ~the next driveway pass the chruch. If you pass the 21 mile marker you have miss my driverway. Coming from Waycross it' the 1st driverway on your left after the 21 mile marker. Look for the double gray mailboxes with a weeping yapon planted behind them.

Don't forget yor camera's and your folding chair. Wear your favorite gardening hat!
Let me know if I can help you in anyway! See yall real soon!

Donna

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

See you soon,, save me a few of those sun coleus, please..
Elaine

Hey Donna:

I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say we all appreciate the effort you have put into this. I'm sure your place is homey and comfortable which is what it is all about.

Allright!!

One week to go. I have a TON of Summer Carnival Hollyhocks. I'll be bringing a couple of flats as well as tomatoes, eggplants and other goodies. Peppers were not very cooperative and were slow to come along so I probably won't have any. Also bring some other surprises.

Cover up-A frost is a comin!

BB

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

OH,,, MY,,, I will be dragging tomorrow (plants that is),, I still have my frame up for my greenhouse so just covering it back over... sighhhh
Yes,, Donna, I know you have been really working hard and we all appreciate it.
BB, I know my name is on a few of those tomatoes. ?? I have some seedlings of Black Krim tomatoes just up and will bring those. There isn't much more I love than tomatoes or mustard greens, or beans,
Now to keep our fingers crossed and hope those weather folks are wrong again.....
Elaine

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Frost? What frost? Had better not be a frost 'round here. I can't handle it!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Debra,,,, may be you will be ok further south..

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I've got Brugs and hostas coming up. Do you have these coming up Elaine?

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

OH,, , hostas everywhere (almost 4 inches) Brugs that were in the greenhouse are all green. rooted cuttings. And I just bought more plants this week. I'm sure it won't be as cold down where you are. Some plants even like the cooler weather. Peaches..mmmm

1- Cordeledawg paid
2- Mr. & Mrs BronxBoy = 2 paid
3- Mr. & Mrs lo1= 2 paid
4- EFGeorgia1 paid
5- TulipLady
6- Smegtone paid
7- beclu77 & friend paid
8- MySharona
9- Danita (maybe)
10- hortiguy
11- floyd333
12-drugtesteringa + 2 friends
13- gapeahen paid
14- Gagirl1066
15- plantnutga
16- starlight1153
17- Kgb4013 paid
18 Stovall_Gardens
19 grace_garden

I'm trying to get a head count. Did I miss anyone??
If you can't make, please post. Cordeledawg is working on name tags!

Thanks
Donna

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Donna,
Just got back tonight- I went to Las Vegas for week with my daughter, we were meeting up with my DH there. What time are u expecting us Friday evening? I'd like to leave Atl. before traffic, so anytime around 1pm wich should bring me into Douglas around 5, I'll go to hotel first and check in etc. and then come to your house or meet at restaurant? Let me know.
I managed to grow few things but since my whole backyard is one big red muddy clay mess I hope everybody will understand I have not much to trade. Next year I'm sure I'll do better. Monday the pool is going to be finished and then filled on wednesday. Hopefully it will be full by Friday otherwise I'm in trouble.
Looking forward in seeing everybody and having great time!
Coby

Thumbnail by TulipLady

Does anyone have
BAPTISIA Australis : FALSE INDIGO, Wild Indigo
to share with me?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

If I winter sowed it, I'll bring it. Can't remember and it's too cold and too dark to go outside to see.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Donna - I'm back from Brazil, & DH has started the tool house for the door prize or drawing - I can't remember what you said now, off the top of my head! Is it too late to pay for Bar-b-que? If so, it's OK - we'll bring a picnic - DH is a veggieman, anyway! My seedlings mostly succumbed to heat & very little water while I was gone, but I have a couple of things I can bring! Wondering whether the Dirty Gardener game is still on, & what I can manage to bring for that!
See you Saturday! Samantha

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

I've purposely tried to ignor this thread, but as the days draw closer, I couldn't resist. Y'all are going to hvae such a wonderful time! It's on my calendar...just in case I was able to swing by last minute. But I can't. :-(
Please put up a link to the photos from the event. Sound like it is going to be a major, GREAT event!

Samantha, glad to hear your back. Well don't think will do the dirty gardener game this time around. I'm not as organize as I would like to be at this time.........so much still do in my yard, that I'm affair I want get around to everything I want to do. Yall please forgive me, I did want everything to be so pretty for the swap. And this cold snap hasn't help much either. Now if I can get my trading plants ready, sure hope I don't forget anyone
speical trade.

Well have a veggie tray, but not sure what your DH likes. I hate for yall have to bring your lunch, when we'll have so much to eat but I do understand not all folk's are meat eater's.

Yes, 3gardeners I do believe this going to be a GREAT Swap. We will post many pictures for all to see! Sorry you can't make it, maybe you can join us for the Fall Swap in October.

I spoke to one of our guest speakers today. He & his wife will be joining us on Friday night. Mr. Chad Herd is very excited to share with us his orgainc soil mix. It's in 28lb bags for $4.50 per bag.

My dear sweet hubby, Roger is taking care of the food with all the trimings. He's making his special BBQ sauce for the Boston Butts Pork sandwiches. Hope you all like banana pudding, Cordeledawg isn't cutting no corners with her recipe.

Can't believe our Swap is only 4 days away! Now just pray the rain holds off until we are finish.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Donna - Don't worry about my Hubby - if he gets hungry, we'll just let him graze somewhere! LOL - Just kidding - he's truly very self-sufficient about his eating (or not-eating) habits! He normally carries a grocery bag or cooler w/ whatever he wants, so it's no big deal for him! Plus - neither of us are in any danger of starving, if you know what I mean! I know what you mean about not being organized - just as I make a little forward progress, something happens, & I just get behinder ( & DEEPER in mess!) It's YOU & the other DGers we're coming to see - I'll bet your yard is prettier than you give yourself credit for! Mine is overrun w/weeds right now - YUK!~ See you Saturday! Samantha

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

My mouth is watering here for that sauce and that banana pudding. I understand about the weather not cooperating. I spent the last 2 days dragging plants, potting up. Lucky I blocked my name out for subbing this week. My DH is at the sleep center tonight to see if he has sleep anaea. Snores like a freight train. Got to get out my favorite garden hat.
Donna, I know your yard will be just springy.. And even if it rains, we'll have a good time.
Elaine

Donna, please stop worrying! My plants sure don't look pretty right now, either. I'm coming to see you and meet everyone. Y'all will just have to forgive my bedraggled plants. I'm new at this! LOL I think with some TLC they'll perk up, though. I am sooo excited and appreciate all you are doing to host this RU. This is suppose to be fun, remember? Don't have a heart attack over it!
~Susan

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Susan is right... everything will be fine. We just appreciate you giving us plant fanatics a place to get together..
Elaine

For those of you without GPS, Deb & I have made ORANGE SIGNS for yall to follow. You know you are almost there when you see these landmarks: Budget Auto Sales, Shell Station, Carter's Fried Chicken. When you get to the cross roads (traffic light) of HWY158 East /East Baker Hwy. You will be ONE mile from my house.

Just a lttle note ~
Donna has chilled-out now that Cordeledawg has arrive!!!!
She is keeping me focused on my priorities at hand!! lol!!
^_^ ^_^ ^_^

gapeahen, you are so cute. I have loved reading all the threads and knowing I'm not the one that has to mow, weed. paint, pot, and 'que. I don't even get to come visit!. Everything sounds like it's going to be wonderful and you are a great and gracious hostess. Everyone who is attending is very grateful to you for all of your hard work. Those of us who cannot attend can appreciate from afar. Hope you can sit back and enjoy all the hard work you have put in to this.

Laurel

Laurel,
Thank You so kindly for those sweet words. I'm at a lost for words now!
I should be in bed now but my mind hasn't slow down yet!!

My Dear Roger, has really been a blessing. Which I've just about work him to death (he saids) after triming all of our Live Oaks. Just so we could do our swaping under the lane of oaks. I'm really blessed to have him!

Well a Good Morning to All.......
Donna

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Good Lord Donna! You and Roger have done sooooo much! It;s going to be wonderfull, as said before here. DON'T get a heartattack over this!!! YOU also need to enjoy this Friday, you know?? Looking forward to 2 days of rest, I worked till 8pm last night to prepare at least one border section (pool side) so my young plants can go in today, plus I have a "bed" ready for whatever I come home with Saturday.
Got to go now, pool instructor coming in bit , plus I have 6 dinner guests tonight, I'd forgotten about them untill one called to ask what time they should be here!!!!! I was hoping to be planting and tinkering all day. Alas... no rest for the wicked.
I'll see tomorrow then, will be leaving around 1pm and I'll give you a call from Trifton (or something like that). OK?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Deb, are you still awake??? My friends just left, I am soooooo po...d! We had a wonderful dinner though, thank god they helped me clean up.
Anyway, I just found a note from a while ago, a note to myself: do you still have the Euphorbia Marginata (snow on the mountain), I wrote yr name behind it. Is this a perennial or annual. It's very drought resistant and very low. You think you can manage to take some tomorrow???
Good night everybody, see you tomorrow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.