(4 votes, 1%)
Red dot

I resolve to plant more flowers for bees, birds and butterflies
(84 votes, 24%)
Red dot

I resolve to join a local gardening organization
(12 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I resolve to spend less on gardening this year (any frugal tips to share?)
(43 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Other - tell us!
(45 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I think keeping the weeds at a minimum also means using compost & major use of mulch which I've been lacking, I need to get better at producing compost - with my large tree's on this property I should have no problem but it seems that the leaves I add to my bins (they're pretty small) dont decay quickly enough & I dont have alot of 'dough' to spend on mulch. I'm open for "idea's"!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I did some seed saving last year and vow to stay away from those nasty catalogs that seem to get me every year

This message was edited Dec 31, 2007 5:45 AM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

More butterflies, bees, and birds are what I want to see!
Each year I have been with DG I have saved money on gardening because of the swaps, tips shared; I am sure next year will be better. I have also learned the ease of native plants and how much better they are for our environment. However, I got into raising the butterflies with others on Dave's this year and really enjoyed being able to see and photograph the stages of various species from egg to butterfly. That is what I am targeting this year!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I picked 'other' because I don't make resolutions. I just do the best I can every year.

Frugal tips to share? Seed swaps...I've been in some super ones. It was my first year saving my own seeds and I now have almost 200 different types of seeds that I swapped for about $15 postage. Next tip...wintersowing. I plan on getting a good number of those newly swapped seeds outside in the snow in the next month or so. DH looks at the catalogs and points at the beautiful flowers and I can say 'I have seeds for that' about 90% of the time. and this is actually including some trees and shrubs. even if I only have luck with 1/3 of them (and I hope for better, of course), I'll have a fantastic garden.

Happy New Year! if you're going out, drive safe :0)
~ jan

Thumbnail by grampapa

My resolution is for controlling weeds, but I am already a frugal gardener and rarely spend much money on my plantings. I swap a lot, and I am also lucky enough to occasionally find plants people discard....
I also nearly always try to grow plants from cuttings. Nothing to lose by trying!!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

My resolution is to finish what I've started and get some projects completed before I start another!
Sue

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I resolve to live more sustain ably this year.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Birds, bees and butterflies of course ~ in lieu of no "all of the above" category ~ LOL.

Happy New Year! Wishing all DGrs the best of 2008!

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I know to make a resolution
Is a New Year's institution.
But as I grow older (maybe wiser),
Pragmatist, philosophizer.
I've come to realize one fact
No matter how few I enact
On New Years day in stone they're setting,
By February I'm regretting.
March and April, still upsetting,
Thankfully by May: forgetting.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Amen DonShirer ~ LOL

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I picked spend less not that is going to truly happen. I could have voted several of them actually. I already plant everything for the butterfly,birds and bees as it is. Just keep doing it?

I like that Donshier

This message was edited Dec 31, 2007 8:25 AM

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

=o) Great poem..

I chose "other" as we'll be moving to a place with no flowerbeds. There are beds for veggies and strawberries, but I'll be removing sod and starting over. It will be bittersweet for me, as I've worked on the beds here for 8 years and I will be sad to leave, but I'm excited for all the possiblilites I'll have at the new place. I'm lucky to have found so many generous garden friends here who will help me with my new gardens.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

As the ravage of June and July transpires
Panic sets in about what this garden requires

August and September the seeds are now set
For plans and schemes to get the best garden yet

December finds me firming up my resolutions
Determined to implement next year's garden solutions
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Don
(It was an invitation I couldn't pass up!)

My resolution:

Not to buy one darned plant, bush, tree, seed, ornament, additive, or garden hat unless I have a home for it: predetermined, mapped out, documented, a 'no doubt's whatsoever' place to put it. (So, I guess the only item that may fit the criteria from the list above is the garden hat...... and how many hats can one wear?)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE - may everything in your garden survive and thrive and bring you pleasure throughout 2008

dorothy

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Will plant even more for the birds and butterflies even though I have a good many already. Going to build a raised bed for vegetables. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Hope to have enough to share.

Happy New Year to the greatest group of people on the planet.

Christi

Loved the poems. What talent.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ditto Christi; that's also my goal. More birds and butterflies and bees - plantings.
I'm also drawn toward natives plants. And I was surprized to see the prices on the first mail-order catalog! Outrageous!!! I'm not going to partake their advertise, for their packing is lot left to be desired. Traders on DG do better packing!
Kim

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I resolve to spend as much time in the garden as I want and still get dishes and laundry done.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

grampapa, I to don't make resolutions upon a new calendar year but do plan to in the future add more flowers for the birds, bees and butterflies!!!! So I just selected that.

we are in a new house this year and I worked as best I could with baby under foot to take out all the previous plants. I want to expand landscape beds, install all new shrubs, trees, flowers and add an area for veg gardening. pretty industrious projects I know but it's the goal.

we've already added 3 trees to the property and removed 1 that had a split trunk.

hope to add some citrus trees and of course plants/flowers that bees and butterflies will like. on my budget for this lofty goal I'll have to plant mostly by seed.....so if anyone has seed suggestions or a favorite dependable seed company they buy from, please (!) dmail me! I'm in zone 9.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

I voted in the 13% range I already share some of the produce. Not a food bank, just a few of the elderly and shut ins here locally. I will be raising more sweet potatoes. We use them just as you would white potatoes. I seem to be running out of them too soon.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

5 years ago I resolved to make no more New Year's resolutions. It's the only one I ever managed to keep, so I repeat it every year :-)

--Ginny

Ginny
Nothing like success!!!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Native plants -- partly because it's better for the environment, but even more because I get so frustrated seeing non-natives do poorly!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I think keeping the weed population down helps the existing plants to grow larger and stronger as they will be able to stretch their roots out and won't have to compete with weed roots.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I am going to increase the number of roses I have. I always want to get roses and then the time to buy and plant goes by, another season goes by, and I didn't do anything. I have always been a little afraid to plant roses. We have a lot of humidity. It's a challenge and is something I have been wanting to do for a long time. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

Everyone keeps telling me in my humid area if you want roses get the knockout variety but they only seem to come in hot pink or shades of pink. But am told they never get blackspot.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I see so many knockout roses around here, I am kind of tired of them. Thanks.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

weeds, weeds, weeds.....always the weeds

They are so prolific here and the heat "eats and decomposes" the mulch way too fast. I would have a perfect garden if it weren't for weeds!

Tir_Na_Nog, a lot of the antique roses do really well around here with no blackspot problems.
Debbie

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

birder17, Have you thought about English Roses? They're supposed to be the oldest and hardiest rose around.
Susan

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I resolve to permanently plant in the soil, all the plants that are still in flower pots, which means I am going to have to compost more and create a whole lot more soil!

dmj, antique roses, thank-you!!! best supplier in the area?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I really need to spend less on the garden this year...when I looked at how much I spent on the garden this past year it really was ridiculous, plus my garden and my greenhouse are both jam-packed with plants already, so I really don't have room for anything more!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

birder, my folks used to live in Jackson, MO, and they had roses on the south side of their house (the great big brick house on the left, just past McD's on the road to Cape). They never paid attention to the names, but they were all hybrid teas. Go for it!

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

All of the above!!! My garden was very neglected this year.

Happy New Year to one and all!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I voted "Other" because we never ever ever make New Year's Resolutions. They take all the fun out of life's surprises.

brigid, I was warned not to buy ANY hybrid teas---bought one because of beautiful blooms but THEN checked it on daves once home, its a blackspot magnet. :( going to end up in a landfill instead of in my garden.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I have found that hybrids also go wild after about 2 or 3 yrs, no matter what nursery you buy them from. Another rose you might want to try is a native, check too see if you have any native roses in your area.

This message was edited Dec 31, 2007 10:52 AM

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Tir_Na_Nog
Antique Rose Emporium in Brenham; I will go with you sometime if you need company.
Debbie

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Hey! bridgidlily--how cool to know your parents used to live here. I will certainly check out the roses this summer!
As your going to Cape, is it on the left side of the road? From the research I've done, I want to get "own root" roses---not grafted ones. Natives are a good idea. Does ARE grow "own root" roses? I have been on their site but don't remember if they are own root roses.

thank you dmj! i have been there, when lived up that way.

you have dmail. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.