2007-08 Tomato Seed Round Robin

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Just saw the home page. Happy Birthday, Critter!!!
Instead of a flower pic, I thought I would send one appropriate to this thread.

Thumbnail by cyndiehook
Louisville, KY

cyndiehook, Good looking tomatoes! How do they taste? What variety are they? Thanks, for listing them for us; lots of changes since I had it and Sequee received it and sent it on its way!
Have fun critter selecting your tomato varieties!
Gary

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Gary, Since I neglected to put a marker next to them in the pic, I had to look it up: The back row is Big Beef ( my only hybrid); on the left front row is Italian Heirloom, middle one is Marianna's Peace, the one on the right in front is Neves Azorean Red. Not all tomatoes were this big. LOL But this was my record season size-wise.
I am planting them all again this year. The Italian Heirloom and the Big Beef were the earliest tomatoes and although I am not sure it makes a lot of difference, I used Wall O Waters on those 2 varieties. Each year I build up my soil a little more and the tomatoes get a little larger. I am hoping for an early spring this year so I can get a jump on some later varieties.
I probably liked the NAR and Marianna's for eating on a BLT. But the others make good salsa.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks!

I could look all those up and try to make my picks now... but I know the descriptions on the packets would end up getting me to change my mind again and choose different ones once they arrived, LOL... so I'm just going to wait. It's fun to look over that list, though, and I sure do have my eye on a couple of them! :-)

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

Happy Birthday Jill!!

I hope your day was filled with things that make you happy!

Louisville, KY

In looking at the last listing, I discovered a variety I had not heard -- Beaverlodge Slicer.
Who contributed that one and what can you tell me about it? I may have to add it to my wants list. lol.
This certainly has been a fun Round Robin. Now I have to take some time and begin to think what I will be growing. That's going to be difficult!
Gary

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Gary,
I did not contribute Beaverlodge Slicer (didn't get the robin yet) but I grew it last year so will add my comments. It was developed in Alberta, Canada, to be a good variety for a short season area. I grew it here in Iowa and it was certainly one of my first ripe tomatoes for the year, rivaling 4th of July variety. I also grew Beaverlodge Plum. You can see my pics of both in PlantFiles. I would grow them again. For an early variety, I found the flavor to be very good. They made good sauce too. I got my seed from Territorial last year.
Claire

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Good to know!

;-)

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Gary, I believe it was one of Sequee's. I am sure she will add some comments for you.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Sequee is very sheepishly looking for the envelope so she can send Gary some seeds. For some reason it never made it back to the "B" section of the accordian file. I checked the "A's' and the "C's", too, but they weren't hiding in there either. I swear...my "logic" sometimes eludes me. (I'm guess the light bulb will go off when I find them and remember WHY I put them where I did.)

I can't add anything to what cm wrote as I haven't grown it yet. The person who sent them to me did so because she didn't like them. But, admittedly, she's had a bad couple of tomato years and didn't like much of anything. I'm delighted to have read the comments by cm, though.

When I find them Gary - half are yours!

This message was edited Feb 20, 2008 7:00 PM

Louisville, KY

Now Sequee, I have you beat on age, that's for sure! My short term memory is going down hill for sure. Pleased to hear you have a few seed! How much room do you have left for a few more tomato varieties? lol
Gary

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I can always "revamp" the plan for something extra special. I've been in touch with the Seed Library you referred me to, and may be growing out some tomatoes for them. How fun/exciting! I do have the garden plans layed out, but until I actually start the seeds...and get germination...nothing is final!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Cool Sequee, who are you growing out for? I'm doing grow outs for two folks... the one sent me seeds I'd never heard of, the other sent mostly seeds I already had or have had in the past. ;) But I was like a kid on christmas when I got their packages to see what was in them!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I am doing the opposite. I am growing out varieties I have so we can save seed for their Seed Library. I am also getting a few varieties from them that I haven't tried yet - 2 tomatoes, 2 peppers, 2 Peas, and 1 each Chard, Nasturtium, Green Bean. They also have a Rare Seed Stewardship Program that I will investigate while I'm there on the 8th of March - for their Winter Sun Farm gathering. It's about an hour from here, so I'm not going to volunteer. My time is precious enough in the Spring and Summer, especially with the new job - no more 4-day work-week's for the summer. Whaaaaaaa!

Critter must be looking at tomatoes! I'm amazed at how quickly this has moved!!

Label/Receipt Number: 0307 1790 0003 3888 4337

Your item was delivered at 11:50 AM on February 21, 2008 in FREDERICK, MD 21703.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

They're here! They're here!

I had to wait for DH to go out to the mail box when he got home... What a treasure trove! You know how I'll be spending my evening!! I will try to get through them in time to send them right back out, but I'm dealing with some medical stuff right now plus trying to put finishing touches on organization (door prizes etc) for Saturday's DG seed swap gathering... not to mention that we're supposed to get a big ice storm tomorrow... so there's a chance they won't hit the mail until Monday. Hopefully the basil will help make up for any delay. :-)

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Have fun, Critter. There's a lot there to look at. LOL

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Does anyone have any information about the Early Pink?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Just a clarification... Though the seeds were sent to me by a fellow DGer, they ARE commercial seeds and I did include the original seed pack. (Don't want anyone to think I was breakin' the rules...again!)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Critterologist - I am moving house this weekend. You have d-mail with my new address (or you will in about 5 minutes!). Please send it to the new address. If you send it to the old one, I will probably still get it by the post office re-route, but it could get delayed. Thank you!!
Claire

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Claire,
be sure to send me your new addy as well as telephone #. Looks like we'll be doing another tomato dinner this summer.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

There sure is a lot to look at! I'm having a great time. :-)

Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

Critter...
Glad You Had the Opportunity to Come Up for Air...LOL.
It is Intoxicating All those Packets.

Lelan.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Well, I dove into them again tonight and darn need drowned! LOL. I swapped out 29 packets. Sharp people might notice that I both took and added a packet of 'Stupice'... that's because the packet I took came from a different source, and I wanted to compare them.

I'm hoping DH has time to swing by the post office either before or after my noon appointment tomorrow... the box is ready to go, but I'd rather drop it at the post office than entrust it to our local mail carrier.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I was doing really well, until I decided to update the list from Cyndie's post, above... I printed it out and checked off everything that was still in the box... Then, I panicked because I thought I was missing about 8 packets... Did I forget to put a bag in? Did the cat "help" me? LOL I finally figured out some of them were ones that Cyndie took out. There are a couple others that are still on this list but I don't think they're in the swap bags, or maybe I just missed them... They are marked with a "?" on the list. I'm sure glad we're relying on the inventory sheets for our official counts!

* means there's more than one packet.

Ace
Amish Paste
Arkansas Traveler
Azoychka
Beefsteak
Big Mama hybrid
Black Pear?
Black Mountain Pink
Black Plum
Black Prince

Bradley
Brown Berry
Cerise
Cerise Orange
Chadwick Cherry
Cherokee Purple
Cherokee Chocolate
Clear Early Pink
Costoluto Genovese
Cupid Hybrid

Dafel F1
DeBareo Gold
Doublerich
Dr. Carolyn
Early Cascade
Eva Purple Ball
Fargo Yellow Pear
Gardener's Delight *
German Queen
German Red Strawberry *

Golden Delight
Golden Egg?
Golden Grape
Grandpa's Cock's Plume
Green Zebra
Ground Cherry
Hanging BasketHard Rock
Hawaiian
Hog Heart (paste)
Isis Candy

Jaune Flamme
Jubilee
LaRossa Hybrid
Legend
Lenny & Gracie's
Lumpy Red
Marglobe
Marianna's Peace
Matina
Matt's Wild Cherry

Medford
Mexican Cocktail
Mortgage Lifter
New Big Dwarf
Nyagous
Orange Banana
Patio Hybrid
Pasture Cherry
Peron Sprayless
Persimmon

Pineapple
Pink Thai Egg?
Polish Egg
Polish Linguisa
Potato Top
Principe Borghese
Pomodoro Carnoso Italiano
Red Siberian
Rio Grande
Roman Candle (Banana Legs)

Rose Beauty
Rose de Berne
Rutger's
Rutger's Select
San Marzano
Sara's Galapagos
Saucey
Sherrill
Sheyenne
Silvery Fir Tree

Sioux
Snow White Cherry
Southern Nights
Sprite (grape)
Sprite x Elfin
Spoon
Stick
Stupice
Sugary
Supersweet 100 F1

Sweet Baby Girl
T.C. Jones
Three Sisters
Tigerella (Mr. Stripey)
Tiny Tim
Tumbling Tom
Valley Girl
Violaceum Krypni-Rozo
Viva Italia
Wapsicon Peach

White Queen
Wild Cherry
Wisconsin 55
Wonder Light
Wood's Famous Brimmer
Yellow Brandywine
Zapotec

Extras Bag:

Black Pear
Black Plum
Brandywine
Cherokee Purple
Dad's Sunset
German Red Strawberry
Legend
Matina
Millionaire
Pink Thai Egg
Tamina
Tigarella (Mr. Stripey)
Sherrill
Snow White Cherry
Stupice

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

LOL! If the Black Pear is missing from the Trade Packet, why not just move it from the extras?

Nice list!

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Sorry if I goofed up the list- or the trade bag. ??
I had a hard time figuring out what was extra vs. seed from the trade list, which is why I put them in a separate bag. I may have kept seeds on the list things that had been traded and instead put them in the trade bag because they were also put in as extra at some point... for instance I know I accidentally listed Pink Thai egg twice when I posted it here. There were a couple names I never found on the list and I may have not removed them either as I intended. I guess you get the drift that there are a LOT of seeds in that box. LOL
If there was something still on the list and it didn't get to you, post it here as I will gladly split anything I took out when it got to me.
Hope you had a good time. It is probably my favorite robin so far. Was thinking a pepper swap would be fun, too.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

No worries, Cyndie -- you did a great job of organizing the seeds in that box! I was just having middle-of-the-might panic when I couldn't make the list match... I'd already gone through the inventory sheet and entered my takes/adds on that page, so I couldn't believe I'd missed any! I was just afraid the catling had batted a whole bag under the couch. LOL! Once I figured out that hadn't happened, I figured that as long as everybody had kept up on the inventory sheets, we'd be fine.

That was an amazing, over-the-top round robin box!

I tossed in an extra bag of 'Potato Top' at the last minute but didn't add other extras because I figured it only had a couple more stops... and I'm planning to do a lot of sending seeds for postage this year. I did put in some basil seeds! :-)

A pepper RR would be fun... hmmm... not sure if we've still got enough time to send a round robin box around, though, since it's just a week or two until seed starting time here. I

Jill, the way you worded that "didn't throw in a lot of extras" sounds like those of us behind you weren't worthy... I hope you didn't mean that like it sounded.

I'm not sure where the mixup went, but, leland took the robin to 111 when he had it, so somewhere along the line we've lost a few or a few got put into the wrong bag.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

whoops, forgot to post the confirmation number. I printed postage online last night, so the number is in my hand even though the box isn't at the post office yet. We'll drop it off after my noon appointment.

0103 8555 7492 7198 9551

(BTW, clever trick for anybody who doesn't know... online postage gets you free confirmation.)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Melissa, I didn't mean it to sound anything like that and I'm sorry if it did. If anybody is looking for something, please ask and I'll let you know if it's something I have available. A lot of the seeds that I added were ones that I only had one trade of. The robin is nice and diverse, and there are still plenty of packets in the "extras" bag.

Good, I was feeling a little insignificant there for a bit. ;p :)

BTW, if you look at the first post, when I posted the rules, you'll see a "blurb" about the "free" online confirmation, and why not to use it.

If the package happens to get lost... it's useless.

Quoting:
REMEMBER: EVEN IF YOU USE PRIORITY MAIL, YOU MUST PURCHASE DELIVERY CONFIRMATION. The online confirmation does not track the path of the package, it only tells when it was delivered at it’s destination.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

"Good, I was feeling a little insignificant there for a bit"
----------------------

Well, it's better to feel a little insignificant than "cheap and violated", like I did after my last poker game. lol

Wow, what a great selection of 'maters are in the package now. It's an entirely different bunch from when it started, or even from when it left here.

This has been fun. I hope we can do it again next winter. Thanks again for starting it, Melissa.

LOL Sam, and I agree, much better than feeling cheap and violated! :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Melissa, whether I purchase delivery confirmation at the post office or use the free confirmation that I get by purchasing/printing my shipping label online, I'm pretty sure that it works the same way. At least that's what the counter guy at my post office tells me. I've done both, and the "tracking" is very hit or miss... sometimes the package is never scanned once, and the first I hear of it is when the person writes to tell me it has arrived. USPS delivery confirmation is not like UPS or FedEx tracking -- that's one reason why I've switched to sending most packages via UPS.

Online postage was basically my only option if I wanted to get the box back on its way today. I'm sorry I didn't do it right... I thought I had re-read everything carefully enough.

As to my earlier comment, I only meant that if there had still been 8 people left on the route, it seemed more likely that more than one person might want one of the varieties I was adding, and I'd have put in double packets when I could (not as swaps, just as extras). If anybody "downstream" wants something I added (just look at my inventory sheet, and you'll see what was put in), let me know, and I'll see if it's one I saved seeds from (those are the ones I have a few extra packets of).

I guess I was feeling apologetic about not having a lot of extra tomato seeds, so I felt I needed to explain why I hadn't put in everything I had on hand.

No need to apologize Jill, but I do want to clarify the delivery confirmation thing... and it's fine, hopefully it will make it to cmoxon without any problems.

When you purchase Delivery confirmation at the PO, your confirmation number will show in the system as "accepted" meaning, the parcel was accepted at the post office for mailing. When you print the delivery confirmation on line, it will show that you printed a label for mailing, but it is never actually entered into the system until it gets to it's destination. The end result is the same, yes, but, I can print a label online and throw it in the garbage and say I mailed it, but it really doesn't prove I mailed it, it proves I printed postage... the label might be on the package in transit, or it might be sitting in a garbage can somewhere... there is no way to know.

When you get that "accepted" it's proof you actually mailed it.

I used to think they worked the same too... but I had a co op package go missing... all I had was that I printed the postage, not that I mailed it, so I ended up having to eat that loss myself. Same token, someone mailed me a package, CHARGED me for del. confirmation, used the free service and i never got the package. For some reason they didn't have to eat that though... wonder why? LOL

Just for future reference, if you're sending something really important, you really do need to purchase Del. Confirmation at the PO for you to have absolute proof you mailed something.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ah, I see. That's a different issue than the "tracking" info (or lack thereof), and it's one that I'm afraid didn't occur to me.

I wasn't sure if we'd be through with everything by the time the counter closed today, so I had to put postage on in advance in order to be able to "drop" it. As it turned out, we did pull up just before closing, so I handed the package to the counter guy. I asked him to scan it but didn't wait to see him actually do it... hopefully the tracking number will be in the system soon. Other than that, all I can do is give you my word that I sent it and keep my fingers crossed until it arrives!

I'm sure it will be fine Jill. Just remember for yourself in the future it might be wise to buy it instead of relying on the online service. ;0)

Guess what I just put in the oven??? :)

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Okay, so what delicious food are you having for supper?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I promise I wasn't using the online version just to save a few cents! But you're right, it's better to have absolute proof of mailing, especially if you're dealing with somebody you don't "know." BTW, I think "proof of mailing" might actually be a different USPS service that's separate from "delivery confirmation."

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.