December Daily Weather; Sleighbells Ring, are ya listening?

(Zone 3b)

Ric~~looks like you'll be having quite a time of wild weather; hope all's well, now and later.
pepper~so glad the wreck didn't cause more damage; just seeing it like that must have been awful. Hopefully the driver has a full recovery.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

We received only 1/2 in. of ice today and about 1/4 in. of snow. Temps held steady at 31 degrees. The storm was over about 4:30 PM. Roads are clear and fine. Our driveway to the road had sustained repeated blasts of ice from the snow plows. Tomorrow I will throw 10-10-10 fertilizer on it to melt it away and fertilize the grass alongside. Porch and steps were ice glazed all day. Have to go out tomorrow to fill the bird feeders.

We may or may not get the northeaster coming up the coat by Sunday. At this point we really do not need it. LOL

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Precious baby toes, Marylyn! That's such a cute picture. :o))
Kiska, I love the moon over the mountain shots!
Deb: yep, that's a greedy little varmint, for sure! LOL
Wow, pepper, sure glad you weren't involved in that accident.
Ric, stay warm and safe!
Dyson, still hoping for rain for you and Deb.
se_eds, sure hope you don't get any more of that bad weather.
Sharon, I sent our fog over your way! LOL
The sun was actually shining this afternoon! This morning DH and I went and picked up a pick-up load plus a trailer full of mulch.
Here's a pic of our toothless Zach helping Pa Buddy spread the mulch on our flower beds this afternoon. See that sun?!!

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's a blustery one this morning! Storm number 3 this week is raging; the wind is howling and the rain's beating down ...... I decided to keep the girls home since it's supposed to be at its maximum at noon so we don't know how bad it'll get yet ....... It's bad enough as it is, 49 mph SE winds gusting to 73 mph. 42°F, 93% humidity.

Marylyn those are some adorable baby toes :-)

Juri - we haven't decided what we'll do with the tree, but it's not going back up. It would just blow over again, and we might not be so lucky a 2nd time. We might be able to use some part of it for a Christmas tree this year - when things quiet down I'm going to check it out better to see if the top or some of the lower branches could do..... ;-)

Sharon - that is some fog! "A tad upset?" lol I'd think so too :-) lol

Debi - thanks :-) That squirrel is so cute! I was actually surprised that the root system was so shallow and weak..... I always thought pine trees had deep taproots ...... this one sure didn't. I thought it might be because we're on top of lava and the topsoil isn't all that deep in many places.

marsue - thanks, we're feeling very lucky it fell the way it did :-) That's a very handsome little helper you got there - and the mulch looks good! Free mulch sure is worth the drive :-)

Ric - you're so right and we are counting our blessings :-)

Thanks Kiska - Beautiful photos of the moon :-) And your view is so amazing! :-)

pepper - that's an awful sight, must have been horrible to witness it while you were sliding down that hill........ So glad you managed to keep the car on the road :-)

Here's number 3 :-)

Stúfur (Shortie) is a bit sensitive about his height and does not like to be teased about it.... which his brothers can't really resist (they're not that reformed ;-) lol) He is found lurking in the kitchen on the lookout for frying pans with leftovers to scrape off.

He brought Selma Rún a colored pencil and some beads. Hildur Eva got a note and I suspect a potato to go with it, but she threw it in the trash and won't admit to it ;-) lol She pretty much asked for it. She was supposed to tidy up her room yesterday and when she wouldn't I told her she'd better be careful...... "Just wait and see I'll get a toy anyway" was her answer. lol

Hope you all have a great day - and not as blustery as ours will be! lol

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Kiska - Happy Birthday!

50°(F), Dark, will check the rain gauge after it gets light.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 64%
Wind: 300° (WNW) at 13mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.12in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 46°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 57°F
Dew Point: 37°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 49°
Wind Chill: 44°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 49°F
6hr High Temp: 55°F

Thumbnail by Dyson
(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday Kiska! Hope your day will be filled with joy :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Kiska – Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day and many more!
Ric – Be careful. That sounds like a nasty storm on its way.
Pepper – The people on the bus are so lucky they weren’t seriously harmed. Stay safe as well in the storm.
Se_eds – You’ve had a bad time with weather too! Stay safe on all that ice.
Marsue – Awww he’s a cutie! I see the sun! Umm, you can keep the fog, we really don’t want anymore! LOL!
Rann – Beautiful picture! Those winds sound awful. I bet the girls are enjoying their “wind day” from school! Stúfur was my parent’s nickname for me! I was the shortest of everyone until I turned 13 (except Mom 5’2”). She’d call me Shortie and I’d look down at her! It was funny. Does Selma Rún make jewelry with her beads? Aww I’m sure Hildur Eva will do better today! I got a lump of coal once from my granny when I sassed her once. I never did it again!
Dyson – Is it dark?

60.1 °F / 15.6 °C
Fog
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 59 °F / 15 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Rising)

Visibility: 0.1 miles / 0.2 kilometers

Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am EST this morning... and again!

Today
Partly cloudy. Widespread dense fog early in the morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times early in the morning. High 77. West winds 5 mph shifting to the northeast in the afternoon.

I'm ready for Santa now!! I got beaned by a logging truck again, see the ding on the hood?

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Kiska!!

Thanks Sharon.
The weather pattern is all over the board here.
As it will be warming then cooling after dark Saturday we're now looking at Snow/Ice/Rain/Ice/Snow for the Saturday Forecast.
1-3".... we'll see how this plays out.
We have nowhere to go and big windows to watch it from........ lol1

Ric

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday Kiska!!

We have a snow storm hitting tonight. Accumulation depends on the storm. 1-6" possible in places.

The NWS in pleasant hill has issued a snow advisory, which is in effect from 6 pm this evening to 6 pm cst saturday. The winter storm watch is no longer in effect.

Currently: 26°F Fair
Currently: -3°C Fair
Wind: Northeast at 6 MPH
Humidity: 88%
Dewpoint: 23°F
Barometer: 30.31 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 19°F
Wind: Northeast at 9 KPH
Humidity: 88%
Dewpoint: -5°C
Barometer: 1026 millibars and rising
Wind Chill: -7° C

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Rain gauge report - still locked in at the current level of 1.6 inches, no change.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Birthday, Kiska!!!

Ric, yes, my parents are going to be extra glad to be here when they see your post!! Be careful out there!

Pepper, I'm so glad the bus driver was ok except for her wrist, the poor thing. :-/ You be careful, too.

Sharon, I'm glad you're ok, too! Yikes... I LOVE the antlers and the nose!!!

Rann, poor Hildur Eva! (and good for Stúfur!) I'm sure she'll obey much better today. I'm sorry about the tree.

Deb, that's a great squirrel shot! I sure hope you get some of this rain...

It's a little warmer today, but it's going to rain pretty much all day today and tomorrow. I just sent the little bunny off to school, and now I need to make lasagna. It's teacher appreciation day at her school and parents are bringing in lunch for them. I have to have it at the school before 10:30... better get cookin'! :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CST (7 min ago)
Temperature 58 °F 14 °C
Dew Point 55 °F 13 °C
Humidity 90%
Pressure 30.11 in 1019.8 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir E 80°
Ceiling 500 ft 152 m
Visibility 6 mi 9.7 km
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 55.9°F / 13.3°C

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday, Kiska, and may the sun be shining in your heart even if skies are gray outside!
Aw, Rann, poor Hildur Eva. I rather imagine she will clean her room and be twice as nice today--a good lesson for her! LOL That frying pan is almost as big as "Shortie"! The men in my family could relate to Shortie. My dad was 5'8" and my brother is just 5'7". I am a very tall 5'3 1/2". LOL
Sharon, I certainly hope it wasn't one of those big logs that came off and hit your car! How scary! Is the logging company going to pay for the damage? I do love the antlers and Rudolph nose!
Ric, you certainly have a mixed bag of weather heading your way.
Pepper, again I say, Stay warm and safe!
Dyson, I tried to send you some rain. Guess it didn't work. :o(( We are supposed to have more rain tonight. Maybe it will head your way once it blows out of here.

It's a good thing we got that mulch spread out on our flower beds yesterday. We awoke to a hard frost this morning. You can see it covering the dark mulch and also on the roof of our neighbors across the street. Their roof is gray--not white.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Whoops--I forgot to send the pic. (I do that a lot) LOL
Here it is:

Thumbnail by marsue
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I think the past 5 days or so have been colder than typical for this time of year. DH isn't sure. A friend of mine says that it is definitely colder.

Updated: 10:51 AM PST on December 14, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
55 °F / 13 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 35 °F / 2 °C

DH says - Mars is suppose to be bright tonight, in the E-NE direction 30 degrees above the horizon.

This is called tiger jaws. It's another succulent. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53686/

I've got some hiking pictures from yesterday that maybe I'll post later today. It's so dry out that they aren't classically pretty, but someone might find them interesting.

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

Partly cloudy. Lows 5 below to 5 above. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Freezing fog this morning 9*F.
There was no sunrise but was at 10:09.
Sets at 3:32.
First of all~~~thanks so much for the wonderful birthday greetings and wishes. The day is off to a wonderful start and it's going to be a good one. Having met so many wonderful people here on DG, brings a special pleasure; from all over the world, it's amazing to me.
Thanks again.
Jackie

Thumbnail by kiska

Happy birthday, Kiska!!!

I'm having a hard time visualizing freezing fog. It sounds like something that you can't get through, sort of like a sponge.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Happy birthday, Jackie!

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge

Ric – Well, at least you’ll have a front row seat to the snow/Ice/Rain/Ice/Snow!
Pepper – What is the difference between a “winter storm watch” and a “snow storm watch”? Sounds really cold either way!
Marylyn – Thanks! The reindeer costume really grabs attention! How did the lasagna turn out?
Marsue – It was a piece of a log by the time it got to me. The truck was already gone. So I’ll have it repaired again. Wooo Hooo Frost! LOL!!
Kelli – Personally I think the tiger jaws blooms are gorgeous! The plant it self looks a little treacherous!
Kiska – I hope you’ve had a wonderful day! That’s a neat picture! I like the reflection in the table! Freezing fog – I can’t wrap my brain around that term!
Juri – That’s a beautiful picture! Are those azaleas – the blooms look too big though…

64.9 °F / 18 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 55 °F / 13 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 13000 ft / 3962 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy with areas of fog developing. A 20% chance of showers after midnight. Lows 59. Light northeast winds.

Look at my cars shadow! LOL!!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Pink cloud

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Just to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY KISKA!! before it's too late. :)
I hope you've had a great day today!
Deb

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

CUrrently 69F and cloudy! Yay! Clouds. :)
High tomorrow 75. Low tonight 51.
Actual chance of rain tomorrow. Oh boy! Dyson, I hope your rain gauge gets some action!
Here's the sky at sunset tonight. Looking hopeful!
Deb

This message was edited Dec 14, 2007 7:05 PM

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

George: I just saw your photo. Those look like the azaleas in my yard. (See photo below from last spring.)
Kelli: those bright yellow flowers are great on the tiger jaws - like the sun.
Sharon: LOL! I love the antlers shadow! So funny.
Rann: Poor Hildur Eva and her potato! Was she a verrry good girl today? :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

MySharona, yes, those are Rhododendrons.

MySharona, your car looks very amusing, like a reindeer!

Deb, very nice Rhododendrons! Mine are also from the last spring.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

When I awoke this morning Iheard the ice melting from the roof and eves. The temperature was all the way up o 36 degrees. The driveway is clear and I don't have to get out the snowblower! We had sunshine, golden and beautiful for about 1/2 hour. Temps up to 40 degrees and just a great day to get outside things done.

Happy birthday Kiska, your photo of the red/gold candle is so beautiful!

Tomorrow should be a good day to finish up shopping, we are scheduled for rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow from Saturday afternoon til Sunday evening. That is if the storm coming up the North Atlantic coast does not turn into a northeaster. If it does, it will circle around and really dump on us. But we are at peace in our home and have weathered many a storm. LOL

Hiking pictures from yesterday - this is fairly close to home. This area is the Simi Hills. It basically has the same plants as the Santa Monica Mountains but less chaparral and more grassland. I used to live up in a canyon in the Simi Hills, so this is another home to me. The dried up stuff is grass and mustard. In hot weather it has a peculiar smell - kind of like wet cardboard. Since I lived in an apartment, my car was outside all of the time and it picked up that smell. (It doesn't smell like that anymore. Now it smells like our garage.) For your amusement - this is where I used to live. http://www.malibucanyonliving.com/1/Calabasas-California-Apartments/ I see that the rent has doubled since I was there.

Thumbnail by Kelli

It might be hard to see in this picture, but just to left of center there are some caves. There is a Chumash Indian story that says that a powerful shaman lived in one of these caves (or another nearby). However, he killed a chief's son so the shaman had to be killed. That's all I know of the story. I don't know how the chief's son died, by my assumption is that it was perceived that he was killed by the shaman's magic, not by a direct act. If a shaman was founding using is powers for evil, he had to be killed. There is still some "bad medicine" going on by the caves. It is a party spot and there is broken glass everywhere.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is DH climbing up into the largest cave. He said that he went back in until it got too dark to see.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is a bee hive in a shallow cave.

Thumbnail by Kelli

View from near the caves - I would have gone further up but it was steep and I didn't want to slip and fall on the glass when coming back down. (The glass problem is only near the caves. The rest of the place is clean.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

It is starting to get green along this arroyo.

Thumbnail by Kelli

I was surprised to see some flowers. Clockwise from the upper left these are datura, sticky monkeyflower, purple nightshade, and California fuschia.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Lovely shots Kelli!
We'll have to vist that area next time we're out that way.

Marylyn,
As your Parents know...... don't like the weather in the Ohio Valley....wait 15 minutes.
Don't like the Forecast.... wait 12 hours.....

So no Winter Weather Alert now..

...winter weather advisory in effect from 6 am to 6 pm est
saturday...

the national weather service in wilmington has issued a winter
weather advisory...which is in effect from 6 am to 6 pm est
saturday. the winter storm watch is no longer in effect.

a mixture of snow...sleet and freezing rain will develop across
the area saturday morning. temperatures will warm to just above
freezing saturday afternoon into saturday evening. this will allow
for a gradual changeover to rain. total snow accumulations of 1
to 2 inches are expected by saturday afternoon. ice accumulations
will be less than a tenth of an inch.

Which means we will probably get 12" of Snow and an inch or two of Ice.... LOL!

Ric

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Currently: 29°F Cloudy
Currently: -1°C Cloudy
Wind: Northeast at 9 MPH
Humidity: 78%
Dewpoint: 23°F
Barometer: 30.24 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 21°F
Wind: Northeast at 14 KPH
Humidity: 78%
Dewpoint: -5°C
Barometer: 1024 millibars and rising
Wind Chill: -6° C
Snow on the way. Average amount supposed to be4-6 inches. I only hope it ends before 2pm tomorrow cause we have to set out candles at work for a luminary walk.

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Zone 3b)

It's nearly 8pm; the day has been so nice. Thanks to you all for the birthday greetings/wishes. It's a wonderful group here; thanks.
8*F:
Dense fog advisory in effect until 9 PM AST this evening...
Partly cloudy. Occasional dense fog this evening...then patchy fog. Lows 5 below to 5 above. Light winds.
Kelli~what a very interesting hike; the cave looks huge. Nice seeing the wildflowers, too.
ric~that is one awesome forecast..take care.
pepper; you, too.
se_eds~thanks; hope to hear tomorrow that the NEaster missed your area. I love what you said in the last sentence; sounds wonderful.
KG~~thanks; the picture of you in the midst of all those flowers, is so nice. I liked the link to the base-jumping, too..
Deb~did the clouds come through with some rain? sure hope so. Last spring's azaleas are just beautiful..
Thanks, too.
MySharona~~your car really has personality. Too bad about the dent, though. The candle holder on the table is the first one I've made; just begun a new hobby, "warm glass"; fusing, slumping and draping. This one was draped.
Thanks again everyone for making this day so special.
Kiska

This message was edited Dec 15, 2007 4:03 PM

I had a post all ready to go and the power flickered. Oh well...

Great pics everyone!
Kiska - What is the process for the glass fusing? Sounds very interesting and looks great too!

67.5 °F / 19.7 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 64 °F / 18 °C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 2500 ft / 762 m
Overcast 4400 ft / 1341 m

Today
Becoming mostly cloudy with a chance of showers in the morning. Showers likely with isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 74. East winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the south in the afternoon.

Chance of rain 70%. I had to separate this - I'm so thrilled!

I'm breaking down and wearing shorts to work today (can't do that during the week). I only have to work one more Saturday! I begin M-F on Jan 7

Buddies Callie and Prissy

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin' All! I typed a big "thingy" yesterday & wasn't quite finished (but almost), got up to go do something (for just a sec) & somebody logged me off & I lost all that I had posted! Yes, I moved so I lost my seat! LOL

Our weather will be the opposite from Ric's today. We are supposed to get the ice 1st, then the snow. Monroe (my county) & Greenbrier are under an ice storm warning. Giles county (in Va & nextdoor) is under a freezing rain warning/advisory. Then the snow should start w/ about 6" predicted. We only lack a few things from the store to be ready - batteries & dog food. If all else fails...we'll go next door. DB has a larger wood pile! LOL

Kelli, Great Shots! (as always) A very interesting trip! Love It! Maybe I can come w/ Ric!
Kiska, I'm glad that your day was special...I had no doubt! Your hobby is turning out great! You're able to make more things than I thought! WOW! Very Nice!
Deb, I hope that you'll get some rain out of this nor-easter!
Dyson, What will you get? Rain, I hope!
Pepper, Se_eds, E_B, Ric....Take Care!
Rann, Thanks for doing the Troll Stories! I'm copying them down so I can make a little book for JW! I promise not to publish it! LOL

You all won't believe this, but...The answer to the last trivia was....A!!!
Although it gets into the 90s almost daily in the summertime there, Miami has never hit 100 degrees.

Well, I must get ready for work...
Have a Great Day! & Take Care!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

The storm has finally passed and it's fairly calm this morning and there are a few patches of blue sky between the clouds. So much brighter than yesterday :-) Yesterday's storm brought everything to a halt ....... people were asked to keep kids home from school and not go out if they could avoid it. I had to go to the store in the afternoon and there were still pretty hefty gusts then though the wind had slowed a bit. It picked up a bit again last night. The Ikea store here flooded because of some drain collapsing from all the rain or something (I didn't quite get it) ..... there was a lot a water flowing anyways and there was quite a bit of damage. There were a few trees that went down and things were flying about - mostly from roofs and construction areas. One hot tub flew out on to the street somewhere in Reykjavík ...... must have been empty! lol Yesterday's storm wasn't as strong as the one on Wednesday night ..... but it caused more disruption because it lasted most of the day while the other two were mostly over by daybreak. And it's not over yet - there's the 4th one coming tomorrow, I hope it'll be closer to "normal" ...... I think we've had enough of storms for a bit. (there's yet another one scheduled for wednesday .......)

Deb - here's a revised answer to your question about all this wind being normal ...... it's been at least a few years since we've gotten storms this strong and 3 in the same week is "just a tad" over the top. Last year there was a similar bombardment of low pressures one after the other but none of them were this strong.

Currently (12 pm) it's 35°F, 8 mph breeze from the south and partly cloudy.

Hildur Eva was an angel all day yesterday so I think she learned her lesson very well ;-) lol

Number 4 is Þvörusleikir who also hangs around the kitchen. He waits for a chance to snatch a ladel when no-one's looking, doesn't really matter what's cooking.

He brought the girls chockolates and small paper mannequins with cut out clothes, the kind my mom used to play with. They think they're so "cool" lol. :-)

Great photos everyone - I'm sorry I don't have time to comment on all of them, there are lots of things that need to be done today.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Joey - you're most welcome to the stories :-)

It's sprinkling outside!! WooooHoooooo!!

67.6 °F / 19.8 °C
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 65 °F / 18 °C
Wind Gust: 2.7 mph / 4.3 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 1.5 miles / 2.4 kilometers
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1500 ft / 457 m
Mostly Cloudy 3000 ft / 914 m

Our shell resident Juan the Cuban Anole! He's found the perfect home! LOL!
Now
through 800 am EST...showers will move over areas from Orange Park to Bryceville...Glen St Mary...Jacksonville...Mayport and Fernandina Beach. Showers will continue in the near and offshore waters from Cumberland Island south to offshore Jacksonville Beach. The showers are moving north at 15 miles an hour. Rainfall amounts will be under a tenth of an inch.

Edited to add - We've got an actual rain shower going! Anyone else getting rain? Ohh, the roads are going to be slick.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2007 8:27 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.