December Daily Weather; Sleighbells Ring, are ya listening?

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Quiet St.Petersburg down town night. (It's 2.48 a.m. here)

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge

Marsue, I'm a sky-diver at present time, but base-jumping is driving me crazy- that's what I wanna do soon.Lol.

Nope, Marsue, I don't have a beard. But I've got a degree in Physics.
Don't use it much though. I like Biology. Lol.

One flight over the California coast on board of my friends' plane last year.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2007 8:32 PM

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Rann – Beautiful pictures! I have saved them as background.
Pati – Welcome back! We’ve missed you! I hope you feel better soon.
Dyson – OMG - You walked 13 miles? Was this one way or round trip? That’s a long walk – it’s as long as my little island!
Kiska – Another beautiful winter picture!
Pepper – I hope things are better in your area today. The pictures are great on the link. I’m glad the people on the bus were okay. I can’t imagine…
Juri – I love science and math, but I wasn’t the best student! LOL! Great snow pic! I have to ask – base jumping? You want to jump off buildings?! Not my thing either, but I guess it’s not that much different than jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. I can barely handle a fall through a doorway! LOL!! The snowy streets look so serene. That’s a gorgeous bridge!
Kelli – but a very pretty flower! I love it!
Marsue – You have sunshine! It’s about time! LOL! Looking for my pumpkin pie recipe.

64.9 °F / 18 °C
Clear
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 60 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog in the evening...then areas of dense fog after midnight. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times after midnight. Low 57. Southeast winds 5 mph shifting to the southwest after midnight.

One the way to work this morning.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Link for phantom screens - they really are great because your view isn't distorted by the screen. But look out if you don't know they are there!

http://www.phantomscreens.us/

canopy road

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marsue, I guess, Dyson enjoyed walking in the forest. That made a mileage difference.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Greetings all!
Currently 65F and clear. High today (and tomorrow) 80!

Rann-Stekkjastaur may be bad with goats, but he brings nifty gifts! That's a very, very pretty "almost" sunrise.
Sharon: Yeah - I'd say no ice for you!! LOL!Be careful, will ya? My sympathies. I am similarly afflicted with klutziness.
Kiska: Beautiful snowy trees. Looks like something from a fairy tale.
Dyson: You always make me laugh. Thanks.
Pepper: Sounds like a scary halfway to work drive! Glad you got home safely.
George: St. Petersburg is a beautiful city! I love the one with the light on the steeple. OK, so you're a former physicist (and skydiver), but you are waaay to young to be retired. So what does a former physicist do after being a physicist? Just curious.
Kelli: Baby toes - what a cute name. It's really a pretty flower, too!

Here's a squirrel who has figured out how to keep his weight off the "squirrel resistant" bird feeder.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

MySharona, jumping from a perfecly good airplane does not give enough adrenaline for an experienced sky-diver as might give the jumping from a close to earth objects. it' s the risk involved, that makes the jump to be a real thrill.Lol.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I keep my feet on the ground. Or at the very least on a horse. lol. No jumping for me. But I do enjoy getting in a go kart and trying to run down everyone in my path. LOL. I also enjoy going down local gravel roads after a rain cause there are muddy spots everywhere and I want as much mud as possible on my truck. Everyone around here think I crazy. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

Deb, I conceived, it's gardening, that makes the life perfect.
The rest is shadow... Lol.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Geroge, baby toes is a mesembryanthemum.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

A messybranthemum? Does that mean if you don't dead-head, it leaves its petals everywhere?

(ducking...)

Kelli, those are peculiar plants.
I found a link. http://www.conophytum.de/

Deb – I just love that squirrel pic! They are creative!
Pepper – We don’t have hills, but that sounds like fun to me! LOL! Great ice picture!
Kelli – Is the mesembryanthemum a succulent?

60.3 °F / 15.7 °C
Fog
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 58 °F / 15 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 0.1 miles / 0.2 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 100 ft / 30 m

Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am EST this morning... again

Today
Partly cloudy. Widespread dense fog early in the morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times early in the morning. High 77. South winds 5 mph.

I'm so glad this hot weather will end soon, I'm very tired of it this year! I just tried to take a picture of the heavy fog, but the pictures aren't turning out. These large puffy clouds moved through the area yesterday.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Currently: 28°F
Currently: -2°C
Wind: Southwest at 7 MPH
Dewpoint: 25°F
Barometer: 30.11 inches and
Wind Chill: 21°F
Wind: Southwest at 11 KPH
Dewpoint: -3°C
Barometer: 1019 millibars and
Wind Chill: -6° C

There is fog from Alabama through Georgia to Orlando. It's all over us and here our cul-de-sac.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

47°(F), overcast, no rain yet.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pepper, now I know there are TWO crazy people on this thread: you and George! LOL
George, I enjoyed the photos of the flowers on that link you sent but I couldn't read a word of it. I'm assuming it was written in Dutch or German? :o)
Sharon, good photos--loved the "canopy road" pic with the Spanish moss hanging from the trees. Are those "live oak" trees? I'm eagerly awaiting the pumpkin pie recipe. . . .and the sunshine hasn't materialized yet--due this afternoon--hoping, hoping, hoping the weather man is right!

Quoting:
A messybranthemum? Does that mean if you don't dead-head, it leaves its petals everywhere?
(ducking...)

oh, Marylyn, it would appear that we have more than one comedian on this thread! LOL
Deb, I don't believe there is a "squirrel-proof" bird feeder anywhere in the world. Those little critters are just way too smart! LOL
BBL with the forecast

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 7:51 AM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Cloudy
Feels Like: 39°
Barometer: 30.19 in and steady
Humidity: 93%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 41°
Wind: WNW 6 mph
Sunrise: 7:07 am
Sunset: 4:57 pm
43°
Detailed Local Forecast
Today: Partly cloudy skies early will give way to mostly sunny skies this afternoon. High 53F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low 33F. Winds light and variable.

Here is a photo of the Long Beach,CA skyline as viewed from the Queen Mary a couple of years ago. Similar looking sky at my house this morning.

Thumbnail by marsue
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning! It's quite chilly here again this morning. It's going to rain off and on until Saturday. I sure wish we could send it to you and DebinSC, Dyson!

My parents are here for the next couple of weeks. Yayy! They live in southeastern Ohio. Tuesday, before they arrived, I was making their bed in the sunroom. We have a sleeper sofa out there, but its mattress isn't very comfortable, so we have an air mattress to go on top of it. I pulled the air mattress out, but couldn't find the power supply for its built-in air pump. I looked and looked and looked and looked... Charles was out helping a friend with a computer problem, so I called him and asked if he knew where it was. He suggested all of the places I was already looking, of course. LOL I put the bunnies to bed and kept looking... At 10:30-ish, I was looking on the kitchen counter, one more time, although I knew it wasn't there, and I glanced to the side at the outlet that our portable phone/answering machine plugs into - and noticed something glowing. I looked closer and realized that there was a dark burnt spot on the plastic, and the "something glowing" was hot wires behind it. I unplugged the phone, and one of the metal prongs was all black and shriveled and melted. Yikes! I looked out the window, and my parents had just pulled up, so I went out and told Dad to come in and see if I needed to call the fire department before he unpacked. He sent me out back to turn off the breaker (they aren't marked, so I just turned them all off... LOL) and he pulled the cover off of the outlet and checked things out. If I hadn't been looking for that power supply I probably wouldn't have noticed and we could have had an electrical fire... All in all, it was a much warmer welcome than I had anticipated! LOL

Oh, and Charles came home 20 minutes later and found the air mattress' power supply in about 2 minutes.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CST (45 min ago)
Temperature 47 °F 8 °C
Dew Point 44 °F 7 °C
Humidity 90%
Pressure 30.20 in 1022.6 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir N 360°
Ceiling 900 ft 274 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 45.0°F / 7.2°C

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

So glad you and your family are safe, Marylyn. "God works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform!"
I know the bunnies and your parents (and you and Charles) are going to have some good times making memories together the next two weeks. :o)

(Zone 5a)

Hey everyone :-)

Last night's storm was bigger than Mondays, the wind reached it's maxium between 2 and 3 am with 64 mph winds gusting to 89 mph so I guess I was wrong when I said we wouldn't get those kind of winds ........ Fortunately it doesn't happen very often at least. The wind was too much for our big pine tree in the back yard, it blew down sometime last night without any of us waking up. I didn't notice it until it got light out. Thankfully it fell straight onto the lawn so there wasn't any other damage ..... if it had fallen in any other direction it would have damaged some other trees or the house so we're counting our blessings.

It was calmer today. Around noon it was only 8 mph winds, gusting to 20 mph. Had some hailshowers this morning with patchy cloudiness. Today's high was 39°F. Now at 5 pm the wind's picking up again, 26 mph gusting to 42 mph. There's another storm coming tonight and tomorrow morning. According to the weather maps it might brush by to the west of us so it doesn't look like it'll be as bad as this last one (here). Which is a good thing because it's a big one.

Thanks everyone for your comments :-)

Juri - great photos:-)

Debi - thanks - very cute photo of the squirrel :-) They won't let anything get between them and some free nuts! lol

Marylyn - wow that was a close call! I'm so glad that you're all safe. Sounds a lot like me whenever I try to find anything ....... lol

Here's number 2:

Giljagaur sneaks around cow barns since he prefers cow's milk. His favorite is the cream that floats on top. In this drawing he made the mistake of trying to milk the bull which didn't go well ;-)

He brought the girls hairbands.

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Here's our pine tree. Selma's wearing the red hairband that she got from Giljagaur ;-)

Sunrise today was at 11:12 am and sunset at 3:31 pm.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 3b)

13*~~beautiful starry sky this morning at 8:30. The Big Dipper is directly overhead and the snow has that great crunch of being frozen...Makes walking so much easier when it gets colder.
Sunrise at 10:06; Sunset at 3:33 Loss of 1m38seconds.
Mostly cloudy becoming partly sunny in the afternoon. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs in the upper teens to mid 20s. Light winds.
rann~~what a wild night; too bad the tree came down, but luckily, all's ok. Bet the girls were amazed when they saw it..it's nice "seeing" the girls as they grow- very cute.
Marylyn_TX~~sooo glad you discovered the danger before it caught fire. That was so lucky. Enjoy the visit w/parents and like I like to say, " make the memories matter"..
marsue~~thanks for a view from the West Coast of what it looks like at your house today.
MySharona~ I like the look of the fog at your home; but, I don't have to deal w/it; gives it a very wintery effect.
Veiw from my kitchen window yesterday as the sun finally made an appearance.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Rann: that looks like a close call with the pine tree! So glad it didn't hit your house.
Selma is such a pretty little girl. :o)
That looks like some surprised bull! LOL
Kiska: pretty pic from your window. Looks like ornaments hanging in the foreground?

The sun is shining, the sun is shining! Hooray. DH and I took advantage of the sunshine and drove the 30miles to the mulch plant in Searcy and got a pick-up load and a trailer load of mulch, FREE (well, except for the gasoline up there and back).
We are going to spread it in our lasagna beds in the back yard and also on top of our new flower beds in the front yard.
However, right now I have to "scoot". It is my afternoon to help out in DGS's classroom.
Sharon, thanks for dmailing that recipe!

Rann, you have such a harsh climate in Iceland! It's a pity that the pine fell, but its' good there were no damages.
Selma is nice!
What are you going to do with the pine? I think, the root is OK! Here in St.Peterburg, I have seen the trailing
pine trees near the Park Inn hotel. I'll post a pic. Maybe that could be the option of the tree design arrangement in your case?

Marsue, the mesembryanthemum (Conophytum) site is in Deutsch. Alas.

Marylyn, funny note about the mesembryanthemum's name. The plant is definitely a succulent.

Debi, we've got a lot of some mysterious "rat-squirrels" (as locals call them) in the southern forest, but I've never seen those, lest they leave lots of droppings on the attic floor, when I'm not there. People say those have furry tails. I couldn't find any info of those animals yet.
Kiska, I like the scenic solitude of the North in your pic.
That is the winter brook in my South. (the pic is from the former years).

P.S.
The snow stopped in SPb.
31.82F

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 6:40 PM

The Southern mountain brook in winter.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

The baby toes is a succulent. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56907/

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yep...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oops.. That didn't work.. One more try!

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn! That's some cute and joyfull baby! Reminds me miself in younger years. LoL.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

52°(F), Dark, had a rain shower earlier but not enough for accumulation.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 86%
Wind: 170° (S) at 6mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.03in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 46°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 73°F
Dew Point: 46°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 50°
Wind Chill: 48°
6hr Precip: 0in
6hr Low Temp: 49°F
6hr High Temp: 52°F

Thumbnail by Dyson
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: We've had some big puffy clouds blow through, too. I wish they'd stay and make rain!
Marsue: You are so right about there being no such thing as a squirrel proof feeder. They figure them all out eventually.
Marylyn: You've got sun? Yahoo! Maybe your rain's coming this way. ;-> I bet that was a scary few minutes for you witht he electrical thing. Glad nothing came of it!

Rann: Whey! Glad the tree missed the house! We are surrounded by very tall pines and they do have shallow roots. I'm always a little nervous when there are high winds. Selma looks very pretty in Giljagaur's hairband.
Kiska: I just love the view from your kitchen windows. It'd make me want to wash dishes or something. LOL!
George: We don't call them rat squirrels, but people who have bird feeders probably see them that way - as pests! They are so clever...and persistent, but I do think they're pretty cute. Here's one on a less challenging feeding station.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
(Zone 3b)

4:30pm. Dyson Dark:)) but the sliver of moon over Pioneer Peak was a bonus for today.
It's 10*: Lows 5 below to 10 above. Light winds.
KG~~thanks; the photos of the brook are very pretty. I see it's also stopped snowing in S.Petersburg. I went to Google Earth to see what the latitude is and to "look" at the layout of the city. Lots to take in and check out before I close it.
Thanks, too, marsue and Deb. I leave the ornaments up year-round, there's more winter than summer and they add a nice splash of color.
Deb~the squirrel is so cute; they really have personalitiy and a special "cuteness" about them.
Marylyn_TX~~now, those are really cute "baby toes"; very sweet baby.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

One more; 4:15pm this evening.

Thumbnail by kiska

Marsue – Yes, they are Live Oaks. They get very large, but not super tall. I love them. Nice picture!
Marylyn – OMG – You are so lucky to have found the problem. God does work in mysterious ways.
Rann – Your poor tree : (, but so glad no one was hurt. Close call. Selma Run sure is a cutie though! I guess a bull would be a tad upset if someone tried to milk it! LOL!!
Kiska – It doesn’t matter the season, the view from your kitchen window is awesome!
Marylyn – That is a priceless picture! What a great shot!
Deb – Adorable picture of the squirrel! He’s too cute! LOL!

62.1 °F / 16.7 °C
Clear
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 56 °F / 13 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16

Tonight
Mostly clear. Patchy fog late in the evening then areas of dense fog after midnight with visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Lows in the upper 50s. South winds 5 mph.

This was the fog on my way to work this morning. Talk about pea soup!

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 8:59 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rann it's a good thing that's the only damage you had.
That's some serious wind and from your pictures I know how flat it is there.
You all were lucky!!!

Marylyn I'm glad that you guys are OK!!
Burnt wires are Serious Business.
Tell your Parents that they're missing all the fun here this weekend.
(That's the Weather Service yelling not me...lol!)

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH
LATE SATURDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH
LATE SATURDAY NIGHT.

SNOW WILL BEGIN EARLY SATURDAY MORNING AS LOW PRESSURE PUSHES NORTHWARD.
THE PRECIPITATION WILL MIX WITH FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET AT TIMES
SATURDAY AFTERNOON. PRECIPITATION MAY CHANGE TO RAIN EAST OF
I-71 SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING...BEFORE CHANGING BACK TO ALL SNOW.
TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE BY SUNDAY
MORNING. SOME ICE ACCUMULATION IS ALSO POSSIBLE.

REMEMBER...A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE
FOR HAZARDOUS WINTER WEATHER IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH AREA.

HEAVY SNOW AND...OR ICE IS FORECAST TO ACCUMULATE IN THE WATCH AREA
CAUSING HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. THOSE WITH TRAVEL PLANS IN
THE WATCH AREA ARE ADVISED TO CHOOSE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE...OR
SHOULD USE EXTREME CAUTION IF TRAVEL IS UNAVOIDABLE.

Guess it's our turn in the Box..
Ric

Currently: 31°F Partly Cloudy
Currently: 0°C Partly Cloudy
Wind: Southwest at 8 MPH
Humidity: 89%
Dewpoint: 28°F
Barometer: 30.24 inches and steady
Wind Chill: 24°F
Wind: Southwest at 12 KPH
Humidity: 89%
Dewpoint: -2°C
Barometer: 1024 millibars and steady
Wind Chill: -4° C

Got an update on the bus wreck I came upon yesterday. The driver fractured her left wrist I think it was and has lots of big bruises and some scratches. My mom works with her husband and was able to get a pic. This is what I saw when I came upon it. Before all the buses arrived. I also was coming down that hill you see in the pic.

Ric, we are under that watch now. :~)

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Zone 3b)

MySharona~that's definately pea soup...
I look forward to you being here to look out the kitchen window this summer...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.