Helleborus preparing to bloom...

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Seven pages! Lots of interesting pics there! But I didn't see anything like my pink and green one with spots, lol, I'm very fond of that one.

The last pic I took of a Hellebore was on 25th February, a few days after the very hard frost. This is one of the first lot I grew from the spotted Ashwood garden hybrid (which is looking very poor this year).

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Yes, your pink and green one with spots is really unique, a real beauty!
The last one looks dramatic!

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

a light spotted one in my brother's garden from 2days ago;

Thumbnail by bonitin
(Zone 7a)

I read this thread a few days ago and had to go check my Hellebores. I found the one that hadn't flowered last year budding.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

And this is the one that bloomed a week ago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Aren't they all beautiful? I just love hellebores with their sweet nodding flowers and I love how long the flowers hang on too. The path to my front door is lined with hellebores, azaleas, ferns and a Japanese Maple tree. I'm going to have to divide the ferns though. They seem to like to take over.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

It looks like there is more than one bud in there, Kwanjin. Your patience got rewarded!
That's a lovely apple-green colour in the second one, is it a seedling or is it perhaps Helleborus odorus as the flower look alike the one I once had, but lost.

I got a nice surprise some days ago; Helleborus abruzzicus I thought had died , has popped up with 3 brand-new leaves. I only learned now that it is deciduous and doesn't keep its leaves in winter like the others do. I've transplanted it to another spot I think it might like better, as it didn't do much during all the years I had it. On top of that it got nearly all stems broken last year from a hail, and if I remember well only had one shaggy left for the rest of the year.

Thumbnail by bonitin
(Zone 7a)

I have two small beds I can grow shade plants in. They are along the north side of the house.

Here's one...

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Here is the other bed.

I'm not sure what I have. They were a gift. I'm not well versed with them except that I love them. Gives me hope for spring.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What a beautiful cat!

(Zone 7a)

That's my Monty. He thinks he has to be in all my pictures. He has the softest fur. Like petting cottony silk.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Well, it looks like he has a good life!

(Zone 7a)

My DH says we bought the house for the cats. And the bed and the couch and the refrigerator...

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Today at the local flower market, just wanting to have a look around, not intending to buy anything, trying to avoid the display of gorgeous hellebores, as I already have too many, my eye got caught by one I had never seen before. The flowers looked the same as from H.lividus, but the leaves were different, they had the beautiful shape of H.argutifolius but had a gorgeous silver look with subtle veins. And yes, sigh, I couldn't resist...

It's a pity it got such an uninspiring name; Helleborus 'Silver Dollar'. It really deserves a more poetical one...

It's one of these dull rainy days here again but I tried to catch its beauty.

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

detail of the leaf;

Thumbnail by bonitin
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Another beauty bonitin! I think I will have to accompany you to this market to stop you from buying any more, lol, then I would buy them instead!

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

that would be lovely wallaby! But I doubt if you could stop me, lol!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What beautiful foliage bonatin. Stunning. Maybe it's good that it's hard to get really fanciful hellebores here. :-)

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

bonitin, beautiful foliage. Wish I could go to the market with you along with wallaby. At least it has gotten warm enough here so my hellebores are starting to bloom.

Donna

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

I'm glad, your Hellebores finally decided it is their time, Donna!
That would be great if we could go together to that market, but then what if the three of us fall for the same plant and there is only one,lol ?

Almost all of my hellebores are in the process of making seeds, I will be able to send you some of the pink variety #460582 you like so much.

Danville, IN

Kwanjin, I believe the perennials you have in the second bed are astilbe. Great for shade with lovely blooms. There are many varieties, blooming times vary from early summer to fall. Lots of colors too. If they like their location, look for more. Astilbes have great foliage even when not in bloom.

(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Hoosier. I've had them a few years now and they LOVE their location. I have three colors in there. White, pink and red.

I don't know what kinds of hellebores I have, though If anyone can identify them, it'd be great.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

I have been looking for nurseries around Sint-Niklaas, a Belgian town I have to go to one of these days and came upon this one that has a nice selection of Hellebores. I thought it might be interesting to give it here;
http://www.koenvanpoucke.be/english/helleborus_fotos.asp
There are some real irresistable ones....

Danville, IN

Very irresistible! Too bad they're thousands of miles away from me!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

They are beautiful bonitin. I don't know why the US is so behind on hellebores. They aren't really well known here and it's too bad. THey are such great plants.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Yes, I also cannot understand Doss. perhaps the nurseries in the US need some sensitization by making them aware of the endless possibilities with these valuable plants..

Danville, IN

I think the problem of hellebores not being widely appreciated in the U.S. is part of the continuing education of American gardeners. The majority of gardeners want to buy a plant in bloom and many, if not most, gardeners are not plant shopping this time of the year when hellebores are blooming to appreciate their beauty. As a landscaper, I often "sneak in" a hellebore as part of a new landscape and tell the customer to wait until spring for a nice surprise. When the hellebore beats crocus to be first to bloom in the spring, and lasts so many weeks, customers are hooked and ask for more. With the popularity of shade gardens, I see hellebores s-l-o-w-l-y joining hostas and pulmonarias in popularity. (There is hope. Just this week, Martha Stewart had a show that featured hellebores as part of the table decorations. Now, if we can just get a hellebores grower on Oprah!)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That makes sense. I hadn't thought of the seasonal problem for nurseries. My local nursery did email me saying that they had a selection of hellebores including some doubles. Email marketing is a great way for local nurseries to make us aware of what is available all year round.

Danville, IN

Here's one of my nice clumps, about 6 years old. Last year it got ruined by the Easter freeze, after blooming in January. Guess it didn't set it back for long though.

Thumbnail by HoosierGreen
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

That looks a very happy and healthy plant, Hoosier!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

HG, yes very pretty clump of hellebores. When it is daylight I will try to get a picture of one or two of mine.

Donna

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Not only the flowers are tripping but also the gorgeous freshly emerged foliage of Hellebores. I love that 'springtime green' . This is of one of my two picotées;

Thumbnail by bonitin
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That is a beautiful clump. Looking forward to those photos Donna.

Fallston, MD(Zone 6b)

My very first Hellebore bloomed yesterday! I have been waiting for months and am so excited. This is Kingston Cardinal from Heronswood. Isn't she a beauty?

Thumbnail by kudrick
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

kudrick, Very lovely.

Had a really busy couple of days and now it is still dark and I never did take a picture of the hellebores. Hopefully today.

Donna

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

kudrick - that certainly is a beautiful hellebore. The color is so purple without the shade of black that is so common and a double to boot. Heronswood is a great site for hellebores, you are right.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was so jealous seeing everyones hellebores blooming so beautifully, I finally have one to show. The flowers are not open but almost. Ivory Prince.

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

That's a nice colour Kudrich!

and oh, Sempervirens your 'Ivory Prince' is just gorgeous!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

semmpervirens, nice clump of helleborus.

I finally did take my camera out but quite cloudy. Anyway here are a couple of pictures of H. Pink strain from Sisk. first part of clump.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

And here is a single flower

Thumbnail by rutholive

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.