My favorite part of the Thanksgiving holiday is...

There are a total of 299 votes:

Visiting family and/or friends we don't get to see often
(124 votes, 41%)
Red dot

Celebrating the holiday with those less fortunate than we are
(8 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Watching the 'big game' (What team are you rooting for?)
(11 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Watching the parade
(4 votes, 1%)
Red dot

The pie! (What's your favorite kind?)
(46 votes, 15%)
Red dot

Spending a quiet day relaxing
(82 votes, 27%)
Red dot

Gearing up for Friday's sales
(7 votes, 2%)
Red dot

My country doesn't celebrate this holiday (Do you have a similar holiday? Share your customs!)
(17 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Seward, AK

Banana Creme Pie

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I voted for - Visiting family and/or friends we don't get to see often.... every other year I go out to Ohio to stay with my sister and niece that live out there.... and the opposite year we have my bf's mom and step dad over.... the visit to Ohio is the best I get to spend some quality time with my sister .... and really the only days where I get her alone... my sister and I are both early birds... everyone else sleeps late... I am helping with her morning prep on the day it's self... and running around with her on friday...... love those days

Allison

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I voted for visitng with family but I really like the food.. not just the pie.. the turkey the mashed potatoes the crescent rolls!! reminds me I need ot make some.. hmmmm

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

As family lives hundreds of miles away, we have made a tradition of gathering with friends (with no families nearby). Over the years many of us have gone different directions but twice a year ~ Thanksgiving and New Years, all are welcome to gather, bring food or just themselves. Their friends or family members are welcome too. The circle grows and yet it stays the same. Prior to eating all the delicious foods, we gather in prayer and share what we are thankful for this year. At New Years, we share our hopes or resolutions for the coming year. It is a wonderful tradition. Oh yes, and the desserts of course! 8 )))

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

It's only my immediate family that gathers, but just hanging out, eating, vegging with the family is the best. Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Tough one between the pie and the game. The Packers will be on for everyone to watch this year.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Getting to see family again. After that pie.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

My favorite pie is mincemeat but since I am the only one in a large family who likes it I must settle for second choice or eat a whole pie. Second choice is pumpkin!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I love having my family with me for the hoildays.We always invite at least one family that doesn't have family close to share the holidays with or that have fallen on hard times.

I might ought to mention also...that after I did all that cooking...I LOVE TO EAT!

You can keep the football games and parade coverage.

P

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I haven't even been to the grocery store yet and I have 3 adult kids coming in with familes totaling 12 for three days (LOL). We have so much fun also with the greater extended family 'down the road'.

But I can never forget those who have a much rougher time during the holidays. Yesterday morning I skipped church and went to a prison about an hour away to visit a prisoner I met through a church ministry about 5 years ago. I knew he was blue with the holidays coming up and no family to see him. He is only 28 years old and has been in prison since he was 14 because Texas tried him as an adult.

I don't usually share personal matters like this but I have to share something with you. He had sent me this sketch that a fellow prisoner had drawn. When I looked at the picture, i thought to myself, "Gee, this is good but I look so young......wonder where he got the picture of me to sketch this". It turns out that my prisoner friend had kept a picture I gave him 5 years ago.

**They all call me Nana which is what the grands call me!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Clarkston, MI

Our holidays involve an afternoon gathering with my family, then an evening get-together with my husband's family. Can make for a long day, but we get two great meals, and LOTS OF PIE! Love to see family, but my favorite part is when we're finally home again and I know we have no obligations until Monday morning. Love having the kids home from school.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Pumpkin pie season, the best time of the year.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I love the gathering of family and friends, but I'm like Jazz. I love the feast, not just the pie. In fact some times, I don't have room for pie!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I love Thanksgiving. It's my favorite holiday week and such a beautiful time of year with family and the beautiful fall colors (except my neighbors already have their Christmas lights out which really vexes us!!) We are having our single daughter home from San Francisco this week end so we are excited. It's almost like royalty is arriving (the way her father is planning!)

About the football--we watch incessantly--to the point of addiction--but, don't laugh--our team is 'Notre Dame' --so what can I say?? Also, University of Cincinnati Bearcats have stolen our hearts. And of course, we have to stick with the Bengals through thick and thin...

A Thanksgiving wish (e-card) for all of you (-: http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=1296031817701&source=jl999

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I wish there would have been an "other" category--I can only afford to travel home for one holiday so I stay here for Thanksgiving and go home for Christmas. So I use Thanksgiving as my opportunity to do all my fall planting! I voted for spending a quiet day relaxing...but as fun as gardening is, digging holes in my clay soil is hardly relaxing!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't have much family left. Fortunately my only son & family live close by and will be with us for Thanksgiving. So while we see them fairly often, I will be very glad to spend the day with them. And we will have a quiet day. Big traditional dinner, which I love to cook. Probably play some games. Maybe even a nap. And that pumpkin pie is my fav!

So I could have checked a couple of categories, but I picked the quiet day.

Have a wonderful holiday everyone, however you choose to spend it!

~ jan

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I voted for pie... but Thanksgiving really is becoming my favorite holiday. Get together, eat, visit, sing, laugh, and no one expects presents! It's what Christmas should be.

And my favorite is the pie-shaped kind... especially pumpkin, of course!

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

johnhenry1, wish we lived closer cause mincemeat pie is my favorite,also. I think I'm going to make one just for me (and see if anyone is brave enough to take a taste) and if I don't finish it, so what?

Ann

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Brig, what do y'all sing on Thanksgiving?

I checked spending time with family. I am the youngest of 4 and now that I have kids, it's great to get together with my sibs and parents and nieces and nephews. Of course, I love the food and the time off work, and we will definately be watching the Cowboys spank the Jets. But nothing beats spending time with family. I mean good food is always gonna be here and there will be plenty more Cowboy games, but you never know how long you've got with your family. I thank God for my family. (~:

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

We aren't into the sports. Pie, it's over-rated, lol. But we do always get together with relatives for some good food.

We're lucky I guess, no major distances between family so it's more a relaxed holiday for us. We are going to catch the huge parade this year to since the DD is one and might appreciate it.

Tabasco, thanks so much for the ecard!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I voted for the pie, but it isn't really a pie. I make this dark chocolate torte that is out of this world! I only make it at Thanksgiving and as Christmas gifts. Everyone loves it, except those that aren't into dark chocolate.

I love getting together with my family-in-laws and friends (I don't have any family left). They spoil me! I thank God for all blessings. He has truly blessed my life.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I put spending time with family ever though I have 3 grown kids and 6 grands, they all live very close so I see them all the time. However, its always special to spend a day relaxing and eating, believe me there is alot of eating. The rest of my family live in the south and I live in CA.

Forgot to say the e-card was wonderful. Thanks

This message was edited Nov 19, 2007 1:33 PM

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Spending time with family rates #1 with me! Our oldest son lives in Sunnyvale, CA and he always comes home for Thanksgiving. Our youngest son is about to move up to Union, NJ for a new job after Thanksgiving, but he will be celebrating with us. Also, a cousin that we don't get to see very often who lives in Philadelphia, PA will also be joining us for our traditional Thanksgiving feast. So, being surrounded by loved ones is very precious to me.

We always over eat, plenty of delicious leftovers to enjoy and even our dog, Ginger, gets to enjoy some of the Thanksgiving turkey too.

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

My country doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving and at this time of year we would be starting to get into the Christmas spirit, plus it would be almost summer so the thought of the oven going for 3 or more hours would give me the heebee jeebies. However, since I live in the USA and my children go to school here and learn all about Thanksgiving, we do have a feast of sorts. This year for the first time I am cooking a heritage turkey (this is going to be interesting because neither my DH or I like turkey!), making caramel apple pie and having friends over. I hope I haven't run out of cheer by Christmas, though.

johnhenry1 - Mincemeat pie is my favourite too. Rather than make one large pie, I use small muffin tins and make lots of small pies and then enjoy a couple each day with a cup of tea.

Thumbnail by wgnkiwi
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

My favorite part of the season is taking the time to recognize all that I have to be thankful for, and telling the people (i.e. friends, family, and co-workers) how much they mean to me.

But, since that wasn't an option in this poll, I chose watching the big game. How 'bout them Dallas Cowboys?!

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! Less stress than Christmas with the same amount of food ;o)) My favorite pie is pumpkin...no, pecan...no, chocolate...no, cherry...Oh heck, I love them all!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I voted for the pie. A quiet day would be nice but that won't happen if the neighbors have their fried turkey outdoor party with loud music again. :-(

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Not working for once- that's what I like

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Family and food are always on the menu, but we've been working hard to make sure everyone has food for the winter, plus warm hats and gloves. Every box that left the church pantry this past weekend had two hand knit hats included. Next Saturday at the Bosnian pantry, everyone who needs them will get a hat and gloves. This is the part of Thanksgiving that means the most to me.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i voted for pie-pumpkin pie!
but actually im looking forward to the turkey n gravy!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I voted for family and friends! There will just be 6 of us this year...but I am glad to be able to cook for them.
AND...I look forward to the food too! Always eat too much , and then think about all the people that don't have enough to eat. Makes me sad.
Tabasco...thanks for the e-card!! Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I am blessed. My family lives 20 minutes from me. I will go to their house. There are 8 of us, all together. I bought a 22# turkey, and will stuff it and cook it all night Wednesday night. We plan to eat at noon. There is not such a big deal made over this holiday as we made when I was young. That's okay with me, too. It makes it easier on the cook (me)!!

After we have our nap (LOL) we will go to my DSister's and see her family. Then home for another nap!

And I love pie, but I'm making banana pudding, by request.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

lol @ naps!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Naps should happen every day!

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

PUMPKIN PIE!!!!!!!!

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

just another day in paradise.......

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

Buttermilk pie! And the rest of the food! And oh, yeah - friends and family...

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

My DH and DD both have to work that day (the restaurant business), our families live a bit far away, so I will have a quiet day with the house to myself. I need to get rested up for work on the day after Thanksgiving....I'm in retail! Will be a busy, busy day! We will all get together however for our feast on Sunday. Can't wait for the pumpkin pie!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

wgnkiwi, love-love-love-your photo of the mince meat tarts!

Do you make your own mince (or use Crosswells?). (I assume you're a New Zealander (?)....? Sorry to get off topic--) We're having mince meat tarts and currant tarts for Thanksgiving (along with pumpkin pie, of course--) thanks for the idea!!

Hoping you'll get to like turkey someday... enjoy the day! tabasco

p.s. glad you all liked the e-card link--I think Jacquie Lawson's cards are so cute...thanks for being patient with me!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.